• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knew an 'old lady' who used to say
, "Don't come to early I shall be in my ' dissabells'" I think she meant her nighty and curlers - don't you? Miriam

Tell the truth and shame the devil........whos she the cats mother.......going to see a man about a dog...we never did see a dog haha. there and back to see how far it is.....eat yer crusts your will get curly.

Theres was only one best mom and we all had her...still miss mine .

Oh. how I miss my mom - even now after 6 years. She used to tell my brothers and me a story about " pot hook". A woman who carried her cooking pot on the turned up nose - can't remember the rest. Miriam.

I Was repeatly told numerous times by olders whilst growing up,
there ain,t nowt for free son in this world
if you want it ,you have got to work for it AND WORK HARD YOU MUST
AND TEMPUS FUSUS TIME AWAITS NO MAN
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;;

It's like dialect both have been used in their own context - red hat and fur coat.
Jan Hegder

Saying about someone you had been speaking too: And you know what!, she/he TURNED ROUND & said your wrong!.: The she/he would be facing you. Len.

If you made a noise when eating or tried to eat too fast my parents would say "stop slapping your chops". Jean.

Astonian I remember that well but came unstuck once when I found a lads favourite marble in the gutter said your saying and he chased me round the block till I gave it him back. Jean.

hi jean ,
just like you i remembered the saying for a simular reason
and that being ,and knowing and remembering the saying when i was little and growing up i heard that saying so many times before by grown ups i never forgotten it
and my reason what promted me to put it on thread was because i went to studley car boot sunday went to the loo put down my most expensive sun glasses
only bought them the day before and used the lav ,and walked off back to the booting area before i realised they was not on my face i ran back but they had gone
i was gued , hence i said to myself the verse ,and i thought ah ;i put that on the thread that,s how i remembered it it happened to me yesterday. ==i hope it rain,s for the next week on them , best wishes astonian ;;

Crumpets are genually about 1/2" thick and Piklets are approx. 3/32" thick or less than 1/4"inch.

When I was about 13 I worked for a short time as a blood boy at the B'ham meat market, 59/60, and some of the elder men would have a language of there own, totally gibberish to me but many understood it and they could carry on a conversation in it, a sort of brummy cockney.

when I first came to Cambridge, and would ask for pikletts no one understood at all, when I described them they said that I wanted crumpets, when I explained that crumpets were solid round cake type of things they said yes we call them both crumpets, I don't know what my nan or mom would have made of it!

a saying just came back to me "lets go play on the bomb peck" does anyone else remember this
regards anniekei

often said to me ,and heard by the older generationto kids
face up to your responsibilities.
joy is an achievement you earn it.
if you like yourself.then you will like other people too.
thinking is the greatest amusement
have a great day folks i,m guin hum
best wishes astonian ;;

Paul Stacey, perhaps what the men in the meat market were talking was what was known as Back Slang. I knew a bit of it when I was young, but it is all forgotten now.

As youngsters when we went fishing with our little fishing nets in local park ponds our dad would always say "have you caught any jackbannocks" I mentioned this to Ray yesterday and he had never heard the expression, has anyone else?

Well I can't believe nobody has mentioned when something is really good its.... BOSTIN!

I don't remember the word BOSTIN in the Brummy talk, but certainly heard it a lot in the Black country.

Sylvia Pete said Jackbannocks as soon as I mentioned sticklebacks. He said they were two of the same. Pete said his grey matter still works then. Thanks. Jean.

Whenever something was gonna happen and we asked our mom how she knew the reply was always " I can feel it in me water " ans she was 99% right
jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back