• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shame there bab,nits only live on clean heads,they wont settle on my head they keep sliding off.

How about being Mahdi or something was a Brahma.

the saying 'it's a Bramah' comes from Joseph Bramah who invented the worlds first unpickable lock in 1784 & offered the then huge prize of £200 to anyone who could manage it

#The reward remained unclaimed until 1851, when an American lock maker, after spending fifty hours in the endeavor, finally succeeded. The Bramah Locks company still manufactures and sells locks from its London offices to this day.#

Can anyone remember?When you were involved in conversation you were CANTING.

If you got told off you got a SHERAKIN.

Not sure of the spelling of either or if they were widely used words.

Mossg.

What a brilliant selection some I had forgotten but you have brought them bac, When my dad was getting tired he would say "I Shan't be long out of bed".
My now wife of 38 years thought it was to do with his height.

Hi Jean,
glad someone else remembers cantin & sherakin,i was beginning to think it was only my mother who used them.
Mossg.

Both my brother and I remember a favourite saying of my father when he would see an earwig or other pest on the garden path - "Put your bat on it", i.e. put your foot on it.

Maurice

Can anyone remember?When you were involved in conversation you were CANTING.

If you got told off you got a SHERAKIN.

Not sure of the spelling of either or if they were widely used words.

Mossg.

Mossy, I put the word canting on a few weeks ago, but no picked up on it. My dad always said that, but I as no one came back on it I assumed he must have made it up, but obviously not.

My Dad used to say yer Mom is off canting again, when she was chatting to our neighbour.... lovely memories!

That's another word my grandmother used to use. I always thought she said 'canking' but maybe it was just me mishearing what she said?

If we interupted our mom when she was in conversation,she would tell us "get on with your knitting".Meaning mind your own business.
Mossg.

hi
yes another word springs to my mind when theres a conversation going on
and some-one else wants to speak and they tell the other whom is interrupting the conversation to shut up and stop rabbiting ,as i cannot get a word in edgeway
with you rabbiting .

when my mom was warning us not to do something (say mess up her living room after she had just tiedied it) she would say "woe betide you" if you do that. you always knew that was a serious threat!!

My dad didn't go out to pubs but sonetimes had a drink indoors and he said it was a glass of wobble. Woner if it came from the collywobble stopper in a bottle of beer?. Jean.

Yes Mossy it was always 'The gaffer and the missus' My dad worked as a barman in the evenings and he always called them that. However, because he was very proud of me he also called me 'The Gaffer' So I insist that I still am in this house.

One old saying that I havent heard for over 50 years was a warning shouted out by a bus conductor who worked the 48 and 50 routes.
This was "Glenavon Road coming up, down `ere"....or wherever we were about to stop....always, "coming up down `ere".
He was a very small man, maximum of 5 feet 4ins but he was always so cheerful and his voice could be heard all over the bus, and they only had double deckers then.
Mike D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back