• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being really young and my mum gave me a hot cross bun or tea cake thing and I wouldn't eat it. My Dad asked me what was wrong with it and I said I didn't want to eat it cos it had dead flies in it! He just laughed and told my mum that he used to say the same thing to his parents when he was a lad! I don't know if it's a Brummie thing but we both still say it now lol
Another one mum used to say to us was ' you're enough to make God swear' that used to scare me and my sister!!!

hi guys
another word used by brummies for cigerettes ends
fag end ; or dog ends or nub ends have you got a light boy ;

Astonian, here's another word I remember. Aunty Mary kissed me goodbye, but I didn't like it because she SPLOTHERED. Regards, David

Hi Folk,
A saying I remember my Grand Mother using if anyone looked miserable was "Whats the Matter with you, you've got a face as long as Livery Street"
Cheers Reg

my fathers favourite saying when a lad, also used to say when you where looking downhearted, "what's up? you look like you lost sixpence, and found a penny"
paul

Oh boy, I've just been re-reading this thread & almost all of the sayings & words all sound so.....well 'normal' to me....& yes, I've heard of them all & used most of the expressions myself over the years. "Tripe'ound"...oh that's a belter & I remember my Nan using this expression......oh that's another good un "splothering"....marvellous! There are loads of words I use & think "oh I must jot that down to remember it" & then it goes out my head & when I come to read this again......can I remember the very words I wanted to put down?? Can I heck!

We lived with my Gran until I was 5 & she had charge of me most of the day.
One of her favourites was "Doncha run in the orseroad

We lived with my Gran until I was 5 & she had charge of me most of the day.
One of her favourites was "Doncha run in the orseroad

I can't help but think that this saying was heard in just about every household in Brum. It was one I certainly remember too.

What about gerrin on a line, when you were mad with someone.
Or lost a 10 bob note & found a gas bill.
Or it en arf black over Bills mothers when it looked like rain.

Oh well said nell ; when she had a big belly its to late said kate
what is done is done nevermind said our nell

My Gran lived in Norman St Winson Green in a back-to-back house, (2/19).

During a visit, when we kids were going out to play in the street, she'd say "don't goo a playin' in the 'orse road" !

One of my Dad's sayings, usually levelled at me, was "Yer want coal crackin' on yer 'ead !"

A word I've never heard, outside of Brum, is "tundish". (A funnel).

Hi Maypolebaz,

A Tun Dish is as you say, a funnel, but with legs, and a long
narrow 'spout'. It is designed to sit on top of a barrel (tun)
on its side on a stillage for the purpose of returning ale to the
barrel.

Kind regards

Dave

Interestingly my late Grandfather always called a funnel a tun dish, he was from Co. Kilkenny. Never heard anyone use it since though. Dave's definition is of course a true tun dish but my Grandfather used it for all types of funnel.

Simon

One definition says:

"The word tundish originates from a shallow wooden dish with an outlet channel, fitting into the bunghole of a 'tun' or cask and forming a kind of funnel for filling it. These were originally used in brewing."

My Dad always called them 'Tun Dishes' and so on occasions do I. Dad was born in Warstock around 1904.

I knew the word tundish or tun dish in the Midlands but have never heard it used in Devon. They were often seen (or the funnel version) affixed to beer casks and in grocery stores to a vinegar cask. In fact there most likely 1001 uses for these funnels. :)

1001 also reminds me of the expression/book? - Birmingham, City of 1000 or 1001 trades. ;)

Was on the phone to my brother yesterday and I used the saying that we had had our daily grumble. Does anyone else use it when you have had a moan?. His grandchildren have picked up on the word and burst out laughing when granddad uses the word?.

Hey Jean, I have my grandkids over for a few days and they don't stop grumbling. Whats for dinner Grandpa? Can we go into the park Grandpa to feed the ducks? Can we have another lesson driving your mobile scooter Grandpa? Grumble, Grumble, Grumble. Wouldn't be dead for quids though, can't beat three ankle biters to keep your clogs ringing on the cobblestones especially when you grab a book for storytime and watch innocent faces that almost convince me. Mom also called it 'Agging her to death' Regards, David and Happy New Year.

Hi David sounds like you are having a ball with your grandkids?. I don't remember agging but will ask Pete if he does. A Happy New Year to you too.

Hey Jean how's this then. Dad's cart horse trod on my foot in the coal yard when I was about five. I was blarting my lungs out, Granny White withered the horse for being only fir for glue, my sister grizzled because she wasn't getting any attention and dad struck a match on his cordroy trousers and lit up a fag. He then asked mom if there was any damage to his horse because with all the excitement going on he wouldn't be able to pull the skin off a rice pudding yet alone a cartfull of best cobbles. Family history story usually told against me for being such a pest. Regards,David.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back