• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blundell

S

Saxonw.

The Blundells were many in South Warwickshire ;many in the needle trade around Alcester, Studley and Feckenham. Many of them migrated to work in Birmingham. I am interested in discussing the family as they appear to be recusant Catholics and I have more than one or two unsolved problems that brook further investigation.

Have you any names or years for when they were in Birmingham, Saxon?

There are loads of them. Two I am specifically interested in Joseph Blundell (born 1865 in Studley ). In 1891 he is a baker with his wife Jessie and family in Aston but then is no longer seen. Then there is his brother Benedict (born 1860 in Studley) married in Birmingham in 1885 ,a drapers porter, is with his wife Mary Ann in 1891 in Birmingham and then is no longer to be seen. And also missing is Amy Bundell whom (I think) is Joseph's daughter and likewise disappears. (Notice any running themes here? Family rumour has it that both Benedict and Amy went to the goldfields but I am having a hard time finding them!

It's a tough one isn't it. They could have gone anywhere in the world, just about!

I've got the Australian branch of the Birmingham Blundells madly looking over there: i've got the American Branch of the Studley Blundells loooking over there; I've got a world wide subscription and have looked at every passenger manifest I can find, I'll have another attempt at reading the Canadian census shortly. But the most likely candidate I have found to date is in a rooming house in Liverpool in 1901 (Name Blundell-job porter-no place of birth). The problem with that is that the Warwickshire (and hence Birmingham Blundells) although totally interwoven are nowhere as numerous as the Lancashire Blundells and hence Liverpool:(. He;s more likely to be one of them :(

:angel: Just a thought, have you looked under spelling variants of the Blundells name? Although as you seem to be an 'Old hand' at this family research you may already have tried this.

Good Luck :cool:

Bristol Street
Joseph Blundell age 25 born Ludley Warwickshire Baker
Jessie age 24 born Great Comberton Worcestershire
Amy age 4 born Unceslitt Staff
Bernard age 3 Erdington Staff
Albert age 2 Salford manchester transcribed Worcestershire
Lawrence age 4 months transcribed age 4 Birmingham

???1901 RG13/2864 folio 88 page 42 Aston St Andrew Warwickshire

Jessie Blundell head M age 40 charwoman all born Birmingham
Bernard age 13
Harry age 7
Owen age 5

Pam

Benedict Blundell age 31 Studley
Mary A age 26 Birmingham
Agnes age 6 Birmingham
Edith age 4 Birmingham
Helen Blundell age 1 born Birmingham
Helen Guest age 53 mother in law Galway ireland

1901 RG13/2882 folio 168 page 4 Aston Lozells St Silas Warwickshire

St Mary Convent and St Josephs Schools and The House of Mercy
Ellen Blundell age 12 inmate Birmingham

Pam

There was a shop in Erdington, (possibly Station Road ) that sold school uniforms it was called BLUNDELS

There was an ALAN BLUNDELL that worked in WMI at the GEC WITTON in the 1950s he also raced for the BIRMINGHAM MOHARKS ICE SPEED TEAM at the old Spinghill Rink along with the likes of BILL JONES, PETE JENNING & BRIAN GRINSELL.
Ido not know which part of BIRMINGHAM he came from?

Les Oakley was my Moms insurance man,in the 50/60s,she lived in Marsh Lane and Dare Road.

I believe he lived at the bottom of Marsh Hill.

Thanks for that. Downunder; yes they the guys that disappear somewhere on this planet (or Planet Zog maybe) Yes I know all about Ellen too. As I said there are loads of them we know about and are in contact with; But what ever happened to Benedict ,Jospeh and Joseph's dauther , Amy?

My gggrandmother was Eliza Blundell b. c1809-1811 in Kings Norton area of Birmingham. She married Tobias Tay b Studley 1799. As the branch of this family seems to have been in the Bham area I'm wondering if anyone came across this Eliza during their searches, and know more about her family?

Hi SaxonW have tried South Africa?
I have two lots of mine that ended up there in the late 1800's and early 1900's, Just a thought.

Pom :angel:

One of my grandfathers was William Blundell who was born at Stretton-On-Dunsmore,near Coventry,in about 1886.His father (I believe) was the blacksmith in the village.He married my gran who was from Rugby.
My grandfather (and family) settled in Moseley,and he worked for the LMS at Curzon Street Goods.After he retired the family went to live in Sheldon.

in my family tree i have touched on the blundell family :Elizabeth Blundell born 1835 in Warwickshire
married to James Baker born 1827 in Warwickshire maraige date 11/10/1858 had seven children

Thanks for your message, Brian
From Ancestry website I see your Elizabeth Blundell b. 1834 chr. at Great Alne, Warwickshire, at age 28 married James Baker, farm labourer,b.1827 Wooton Wawen at Stratford upon Avon 1854 . Resided Wooton Wawen, & Henley in Arden. their kids: Eliza, Mary, Fannie, Annie etc. Her parents were Thomas Blundellhttps://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/14639908/person/176699715 1786 – 1845, ag.lab. and Mary Hinton 1795 – 1857 of Great Alne but none of her siblings were my Eliza.

My Eliza Blundell is a bit of a stray with no early records in Ancestry. Cannot find who her parents were and only general early details eg. born in Aston, Birmingham c.1809 or c.1811. Records better after she married Tobias Tay and lived in Kings Norton (Worcs at that time). I notice that there were Blundells in Studley, Worcs, which is where Tobias Tay (my Eliza's husband) was born. Can't find any link of the 2 families so far but will keep in mind. Chris

Hide source citations

Christine,
As stated in previous posts there are often minor spelling variations in surnames on transcribed records.
In fact when Eliza married in 1829 transcribed record says to Tobias Fay.
Eliza Blundall born 24th Aug 1808,baptised St Phillips 7th nov 1809
parents William and Sarah
other children Hannah 1810 and Amelia 1812.
I see from the 1841 census that Tobias and Eliza had a daughter Amelia.
Only marriage on record for William Blundell marriage is to Sarah Newell in Harborne 1807.

Tobias Tay baptised 13th May 1798 studley parents Thomas and Mary
other children
Anna Maria 1792
Thomas 1794
Timothy 1796

Last edited:
Ronald (Ronnie) Blundell was my friend at school in Yardley, Brum, he was born in 1929, i can`t give details of his Mom & Dad, Ronnie was learning to play the accordion from about the age of 11yrs, i lost touch when the family moved house about 1945. Len.

Referring back to "his brother Benedict (born 1860 in Studley) married in Birmingham in 1885 ,a drapers porter, is with his wife Mary Ann in 1891" - he is in my wife's family as well. Recently found his death certificate. Good match as correct father and mother (listed with her maiden name as well)
He died 28 Oct 1912 Coaldale, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, USA of typhoid. Occupation "Farmer". Not yet found his immigration route tho'.
Working on Joseph (Henry) Blundell and his wife Jessie now. Think her maiden name was Futerill but need to confirm that.

listed Jessiah (Jessie) Elizabeth Futerill same page Joseph henry Blundell 1886 dec quarter reg district
West Bromwich County Staffordshire 6B 1205

Jessie E Futerill registered sept quarter 1866 reg district Pershore Worcestershire
6C 343

Jessie Elizabeth Futerill b. 1866 Pershore Worcs but spelt Fewtrill in 1871
Jessie Elizabeth Futerill married Joseph Henry Blundell in 1886.

Yes agree with the Futerill marriage, both parties in the index - appear in 1891 census; couple more children in 1901 by which time Joe Blundell was no long with them. Jessie shown married rather than widowed suggesting, as family legend has it" he had gone off". As Pam, says six children. I think that the last two, Harry and Owen, were sent to Canada by Bernardos. Possibly appear on passenger list:
Vessel Carthaginian
Port of Arrival Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 28 May 1908
Port of Departure Liverpool, England
From <https://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/73526090/person/120025892685/facts>

Been told Jessie came to a sticky end - but looking for more info.
Benedict Blundell death looks like a good fit. Both parents names and age match, and he was known to have "gone off".You can see it at
https://mv.ancestry.co.uk/viewer/f35bf301-11ee-44d1-b4e3-627aff1a3ef5/916756/-2028115193

Think William Benedict Blundell was son of Edward and Mary Farr b1860 in Sambourne.

Hello. I'm Edwin Albert Rheinhart Jr. from South Carolina USA. My father (Edwin Sr) was the son of Edwin Lewis Rheinhart and Catherine Manila Blundell. His grandmother was Wilhelmina Weizerek. If I can help anyone let me know.

To Saxonw; you had a question about Catholics starting this thread. I have a little information that could be helpful if true. A cousin of mine who lives south of London was told that Blundells from France were recruited by spies working for William Throckmorton of knitting mills fame to come to England and share French knitting skills with him. This, of course was not legal and done on the sly. They were given homes similar to Ann Boleyn's in the tower, very nice. Sir Throckmorton was Roman Catholic and expect he hired many Catholics in his Birmingham operation. Those coming from France were likely Catholic as well. C.1600

Later on Wilhelmina Weizerek from Poland was probably Catholic as her relative Gertrude (sister, daughter?) Was. I have a photo of Gertrude in her first communion gown. C. 1920 Gertrude became a Lutheran when she married Willard Heller
Ed

Yes agree with the Futerill marriage, both parties in the index - appear in 1891 census; couple more children in 1901 by which time Joe Blundell was no long with them. Jessie shown married rather than widowed suggesting, as family legend has it" he had gone off". As Pam, says six children. I think that the last two, Harry and Owen, were sent to Canada by Bernardos. Possibly appear on passenger list:
Vessel Carthaginian
Port of Arrival Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 28 May 1908
Port of Departure Liverpool, England
From <https://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/73526090/person/120025892685/facts>

Been told Jessie came to a sticky end - but looking for more info.
Benedict Blundell death looks like a good fit. Both parents names and age match, and he was known to have "gone off".You can see it at
https://mv.ancestry.co.uk/viewer/f35bf301-11ee-44d1-b4e3-627aff1a3ef5/916756/-2028115193

Think William Benedict Blundell was son of Edward and Mary Farr b1860 in Sambourne.
Harry and Owen did indeed go to Canada in 1908, but they travelled from Middlemore Homes in Birmingham, where they had been admitted in August 1908 with their younger (?half) sister Doris. Two of the older children had been sent to Canada in 1900 and 1902 through Barnardo's. The remaining son travelled to Canada in 1909 as a young adult and lived with his sister in 1911. Happy to provide sources if there are family members who need evidence. Also, would be very interested to hear about Jessie - I have a death registration for her, but don't know of the circumstances.

Back