• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blundell

listed Jessiah (Jessie) Elizabeth Futerill same page Joseph henry Blundell 1886 dec quarter reg district
West Bromwich County Staffordshire 6B 1205

Jessie E Futerill registered sept quarter 1866 reg district Pershore Worcestershire
6C 343

Jessie Elizabeth Futerill b. 1866 Pershore Worcs but spelt Fewtrill in 1871
Jessie Elizabeth Futerill married Joseph Henry Blundell in 1886.

Yes agree with the Futerill marriage, both parties in the index - appear in 1891 census; couple more children in 1901 by which time Joe Blundell was no long with them. Jessie shown married rather than widowed suggesting, as family legend has it" he had gone off". As Pam, says six children. I think that the last two, Harry and Owen, were sent to Canada by Bernardos. Possibly appear on passenger list:
Vessel Carthaginian
Port of Arrival Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 28 May 1908
Port of Departure Liverpool, England
From <https://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/73526090/person/120025892685/facts>

Been told Jessie came to a sticky end - but looking for more info.
Benedict Blundell death looks like a good fit. Both parents names and age match, and he was known to have "gone off".You can see it at
https://mv.ancestry.co.uk/viewer/f35bf301-11ee-44d1-b4e3-627aff1a3ef5/916756/-2028115193

Think William Benedict Blundell was son of Edward and Mary Farr b1860 in Sambourne.

Hello. I'm Edwin Albert Rheinhart Jr. from South Carolina USA. My father (Edwin Sr) was the son of Edwin Lewis Rheinhart and Catherine Manila Blundell. His grandmother was Wilhelmina Weizerek. If I can help anyone let me know.

To Saxonw; you had a question about Catholics starting this thread. I have a little information that could be helpful if true. A cousin of mine who lives south of London was told that Blundells from France were recruited by spies working for William Throckmorton of knitting mills fame to come to England and share French knitting skills with him. This, of course was not legal and done on the sly. They were given homes similar to Ann Boleyn's in the tower, very nice. Sir Throckmorton was Roman Catholic and expect he hired many Catholics in his Birmingham operation. Those coming from France were likely Catholic as well. C.1600

Later on Wilhelmina Weizerek from Poland was probably Catholic as her relative Gertrude (sister, daughter?) Was. I have a photo of Gertrude in her first communion gown. C. 1920 Gertrude became a Lutheran when she married Willard Heller
Ed

Yes agree with the Futerill marriage, both parties in the index - appear in 1891 census; couple more children in 1901 by which time Joe Blundell was no long with them. Jessie shown married rather than widowed suggesting, as family legend has it" he had gone off". As Pam, says six children. I think that the last two, Harry and Owen, were sent to Canada by Bernardos. Possibly appear on passenger list:
Vessel Carthaginian
Port of Arrival Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 28 May 1908
Port of Departure Liverpool, England
From <https://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/73526090/person/120025892685/facts>

Been told Jessie came to a sticky end - but looking for more info.
Benedict Blundell death looks like a good fit. Both parents names and age match, and he was known to have "gone off".You can see it at
https://mv.ancestry.co.uk/viewer/f35bf301-11ee-44d1-b4e3-627aff1a3ef5/916756/-2028115193

Think William Benedict Blundell was son of Edward and Mary Farr b1860 in Sambourne.
Harry and Owen did indeed go to Canada in 1908, but they travelled from Middlemore Homes in Birmingham, where they had been admitted in August 1908 with their younger (?half) sister Doris. Two of the older children had been sent to Canada in 1900 and 1902 through Barnardo's. The remaining son travelled to Canada in 1909 as a young adult and lived with his sister in 1911. Happy to provide sources if there are family members who need evidence. Also, would be very interested to hear about Jessie - I have a death registration for her, but don't know of the circumstances.

Sorry I missed your reply - many thanks for it.
I would be very interested in the locations of the sources you have.
Putting together a list to look into during a visit to The Forge Mill Needle Museum in Redditch when they reopen - lots of Blundells were employed there. Would be happy to add to my list any specific questions.

Hi all,

Great thread the bit about disappearing seems very true! My farther was a Blundell sadly not part of my life and so researching it have connected with family members via DNA matches have heard the story from others about banardos & Canada. I've been thinking of reaching out to discover more the Canadian branch.

Happy to hear from others

The cinema that used to be in Green Lane became Blundells that sold everything. My mom worked as a cleaner at the cinema and when it closed she was given the curtains which were made of gold velvet. We used to go to Blundells a lot. If I remember they operated on a scheme where you could pay weekly for goods.

Sue, John Blundell Ltd. has no connection to this thread. John Blundells, credit drapers, are mentioned elsewhere. A search should find it.

Back