• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

Editorial in the Birmingham Gazette in March 1940.

View attachment 186988
It is such a shame that messers Picot and Balfro stitched up the Arabs in the first place. Palestine was for the Palestinian’s. The holy land belongs to no one it is a universal state in the same way as the Vatican City. Israel should not be allowed to keep setting in Palestinian areas, or dividing the land to their advantage .

Hot mill run-out table at a steel works. Each of the rollers is driven by a G.E.C. variable frequency motor.
March 1940

IMG_5465.jpeg

Quite far out I think, even though she is listed at Elm Cottage, Coventry Road, Birmingham on the 1939 reg. it came under Meriden (passed Clock Lane).
Boundaries & districts are odd. My great gran died at the old Keresley Hospital, Coventry. Now a Hotel. The death certificate said Meriden.

Birmingham Gazette of May 1940 reports the advice the Lord Mayor. Councillor T. B. Pritchett gave the previous night.
“BIRMINGHAM has hardly yet appreciated that the country is at war…”

IMG_5719.jpegIMG_5720.jpeg

My dad had the tail fin of one of those hanging up in his shed for years. It was made from pressed mild steel with small rivets holding it together. I assumed it had been used as some of the rivets were popped open.

Something that has not been much discussed, aliens during the war.
(Birmingham Gazette June 1940)

View attachment 188818
Given that the population size of Birmingham was smaller then, I'm surprised at the numbers. I was prompted to find this National Archives Blog on Internment of Enemy Aliens in 1940 which describes the experiences of Italians instancing the caterers Carmine (Charles) Forte and Frank Berni (who would found Berni Inns with his brother).
https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.u...ate-of-italians-resident-in-a-britain-at-war/

My thumb won't work. I am giving you a thumb.Was this the same as the A.T.S. or have I got it wrong. ? My friend's parents met in the A.T.S. I thought it was. They wore uniforms .

Nico
According to Mr Google :

The Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS; often pronounced as an acronym) was the women's branch of the British Army during the Second World War. It was formed on 9 September 1938, initially as a women's voluntary service, and existed until 1 February 1949, when it was merged into the Women's Royal Army Corps.
If that

Not Birmingham but from the Birmingham Gazette July 1940. Anyone have any recollection of these exercises in Birmingham ?
My aunt said they had similar practice.

“These London school-children are practising the new instructions issued by the Board of Education on the precautions to be taken in schools during an air raid. The picture shows the children drop under their desks and in the gangways.”

IMG_6382.jpeg

Birmingham

Some of us oldies remember and still follow making use of junk. Younger folk come on daytime tv re-inventing the wheel. :D
I think they have to, although it grates a bit, as knowledge is not being passed down. The grandchildren think I am wonderful with the simplest games and make shift toys, even my fingers, that is not on an ipad or needs a battery.

Back