• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

The new law must hust have generated a lot of discussion and inventive ways to dim torches. Dont think the tissue paper cover would have stood much chance in the rain !

My mother had a method of adhering to the torch masking instruction. Her torch had a flat, slab type of battery and a domed lens. You could unscrew the lens as I found out when fiddling with it, and once I had discovered that I realised that her practice was to insert a little disc of newspaper, about an inch in diameter, between it and the bulb. This dimmed the light quite significantly. Thereafter, whenever I thought about it, I would unscrew the lens, remove the bit of paper and replace the torch in its proper place, under the stairs by the front door. This was a great jape. I did it on numerous occasions and never once did Mum remonstrate with me although she must have known what was going on and patiently tore out another little piece of newspaper whenever necessary. Once the paper had been replaced, the opportunity was there for me to discover it and to repeat the joke.

There was one occasion when she was caught with too bright a torch outside the front gate by our local ARP warden in Streetly, Mr. Markwick, who emerged from the darkness like a smiling, admonishing genie. Whether or not the torch was in a dimmed state, I have no idea but I don't remember getting the blame. What should have played additionally on my conscience was the fact that she was probably on an errand of mercy - to check up on an elderly couple who lived next-door-but-one - they were absolutely ancient, definitely in their sixties.....

She must have had endless patience and I can't understand why I never got a well-deserved slap.

Chris

PS Just like this one - Ever Ready.

torch.jpg

My mother had a method of adhering to the torch masking instruction. Her torch had a flat, slab type of battery and a domed lens. You could unscrew the lens as I found out when fiddling with it, and once I had discovered that I realised that her practice was insert a little disc of newspaper, about an inch in diameter, between it and the bulb. This dimmed the light quite significantly. Thereafter, whenever I thought about it, I would unscrew the lens, remove the bit of paper and replace the torch in its proper place, under the stairs by the front door. This was a great jape. I did it on numerous occasions and never once did Mum remonstrate with me although she must have known what was going on and patiently tore out another little piece of newspaper whenever necessary. Once the paper had been replaced, the opportunity was there for me to discover it and to repeat the joke.

There was one occasion when she was caught with too bright a torch outside the front gate by our local ARP warden in Streetly, Mr. Markwick, who emerged from the darkness like a smiling, admonishing genie. Whether or not the torch was in a dimmed state, I have no idea but I don't remember getting the blame. What should have played additionally on my conscience was the fact that she was probably on an errand of mercy - to check up on an elderly couple who lived next-door-but-one - they were absolutely ancient, definitely in their sixties.....

She must have had endless patience and I can't understand why I never got a well-deserved slap.

Chris

PS Just like this one - Ever Ready.

View attachment 186581
thinking as a mother chris...your mom could have thought that the rigours of war was bad enough and dont forget if affected children as well so maybe your mom did not let on or tell you off so that you could continue your little joke and take your mind off the war...just a thought

lyn

Love this scene. I have still have my lunch in St Phillips Churchyard on a sunny day Its so peaceful. The books and Magazines have now been replaced by Laptops, mobile phones and kindles.
I do dislike St.Phillips being referred to as Pigeon Park. Reminds me of 1950's Tom Lehrer Poisoning Pigeons in the Park!

I suppose I am off topic.? but does anyone know where Titty Bottle park was? Featured in Kathleen Dayus's book, Her People. Also a churchyard where the latch key kids played in safety till their parents came home from work.

I love Gracie Fields. Navy League of Canada? My great great Aunt Alice used to do a Gracie Tribute act in and around Birmingham, Alice Sutton, she bleached her hair blonde. I discovered she played Muss Marple but am unable to find any film footage. I would love to see that. I just saw a still.

'Miss Marple's first screen outing was in the US on December 30 1956 when our Gracie played an unlikely Miss Marple in an hour-long live broadcast of A Murder Is Announced on NBC Television's Goodyear Playhouse. Jessica Tandy and Roger Moore also starred.'
Guardian - I'm not sure if footage exists though.

'Miss Marple's first screen outing was in the US on December 30 1956 when our Gracie played an unlikely Miss Marple in an hour-long live broadcast of A Murder Is Announced on NBC Television's Goodyear Playhouse. Jessica Tandy and Roger Moore also starred.'
Guardian - I'm not sure if footage exists though.
And the good news is that it does, the bad news is that it is in a private collection apparently.
http://graciefields.org/wordpress/miss-marple-a-murder-is-announced/

I suppose I am off topic.? but does anyone know where Titty Bottle park was? Featured in Kathleen Dayus's book, Her People. Also a churchyard where the latch key kids played in safety till their parents came home from work.

It was St Pauls Square, (the grounds of the church) in the Jewellery Quarter, Sue. Kathleen Dayus refers to it as "titty bottle park" in her books.

It reads like an episode of on the buses. My grandad was a bus driver, mum's dad, & dad's mum used to think if he was driving she didn't have to pay!

My mum took the train home as usual that year from her job in Birmingham, the points froze at Stourbridge junction & she jumped off into snow up to her waist and walked to Amblecote collapsing when she got home. Women especially were ill equipped, no trousers or high boots then.

Back