• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Hi Ragga the second photo is at the top of Spring Hill at the junction of Western Rd and Heath St behind the bus is a pub I cannot remember its name i,m sure someone can help me with that. Dek

Is the pub on the Dudley Road The Birmingham Arms opposite Western Road? I think the factory used to be Barker and Allen, the wall is now reduced to one floor height.

Hello Ragga I no nothing about the the buses but enjoy trying to put a location to your photos this one I believe is in Digbeth the bus is hiding the Civic Hall opposite Rea St.Dek

I believe its the oneway section on the Pershore Rd before you get to Stirchley for some reason they are using it for temporary 2way traffic.Dek

Yes, Pershore Rd Stirchley. They must have had road works on the other side, in Hazlewell Street.
Note the TASCOS shop in the distance (Ten Acres and Stirchley Co Operative Society) - now a Ladbrokes betting shop.

Not knowing much about the technical side of bus's or their linage, I will say that these photo's bring back my childhood in way that not many things can, we never had a car in our family so lived on bus's, school, trips out, and visiting relations, were all bus trips. I never find them boring so thanks for the postings long may they continue.
paul

Its great to see the photos, i'm very much into classic buses but also the social side of bus travel as well. In recent times I have bought a lot of old Birmingham bus and tram photos and i'm having real difficulty with the locations but sadly for copyright reasons I can't post them here, hopefully someday:)

This was just one of several attempts over the years to operate a bus service round the city centre. If I remember correctly this bus did a circular tour starting from Masshouse car park which I used a few times. Eventually this was amalgamated with the Lodge Road service (95 or 96??) to form the present 101 service. I believe in Sheffield their city centre bus is still free.

Some comments on Ragga's lastest photos

3 This is Lordswood Road approaching Kings Head Bearwood. I don't recognise the bus being overtaken, I suspect it is a vehicle taken over from another corporation fleet working on the 11C Outer Circle

4 The Portland Road no. 7 used to work cross city with the 5A to Perry Common showing 7 in one direction and 5A in the other. When the routes were changed so that it no longer worked cross city, the Perry Common route was given the number 7 whereas it should logically have retained the number 5

5 The 1A bus appears to be coming from Easy Row turning right onto Broad Street. I don't remember this as the route. Can any one comment on this?

Other comments on Raggas post
1 Digbeth outside Smithfield Garage
2 I,m lost
3 As David says
4 On the Hagley Rd
5 AS David says
Dek

I think 2 is Wake Green Road Moseley but I may be wrong.
Yes I agree 4 is on the Hagley Road between Five Ways and Plough & Harrow.
If the 1A used to turn round at the Hall of Memory then it could have terminated in Easy Row which I think was dual carriageway at that point

I'm very unsure about no2, it's one of those roads of Birmingham suburbia that could be almost anywhere. I'd guess Outer Circle 11 route, somewhere near Hall Green, but I can't say clearer that that.
No1 is a Daimler Fleetline in the West Midlands fleet, taken over from Midland Red.
No3 is "Standard" 2847, the one fitted with platform doors and a heater (see the intake grille below the engine bay canopy), passing a former Coventry Daimler CVG6 which is parked in the bus stop lay-by opposite the Kings Head, Bearwood.
No 4 is opposite the row of houses on Hagley Road whose frontages were kept and new offices built behind them, somewhere around nos 101, 103, 105, 107. Seen here now.

Back