• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Regarding No. 2 (2529 to Acock's Green Westley Road) I would definitely say this was on the Outer Circle as I caught this bus in the afternoon many times from King Edward's Camp Hill School at King's Heath back to Hall Green. Could it be outside Sarehole Mill at the clock-in point? The road is wide enough there I think as it shows 4 lanes. The bus looks as if it is parked up which again suggests Sarehole Mill.

If it's by Sarehole Mill, it might be on the 11A. I think they have replaced that old fence with a new one a few years ago.

Good to see comaritively rarer views like the ex Coventry buses working in Birmingham. I don't remember how long this went on.

Same here - fantastic photos and great memories! Please keep them coming especially of ones on "The Circle" or the 90/92 which was my local route in Hall Green.

The Coventry buses first turned up in Birmingham sometime around March 1974. Was it Acock's Green Garage that mainly (or only) used this type of bus?

I remember going back to school at dinnertime then and it would appear that they had just been delivered to AG and the drivers were out having a test run to get use to the bus. They would head from AG out to the roundabout at Fox Hollies Road/School Road and turn round there, park up and let another driver take the bus back to AG.

I think some of the Coventry buses were still in use on "The Circle" after the last day of the Standards (28.10.1977).

The last 2 photos (3019 & 3025 which were certainly regulars on my journeys to and from school) were taken at Swanshurst Park (the clock-in point). The faithful Bundy clock can be seen on the other side of the shelter.

This bus stop is no longer here and there is now nothing on the site as the stop has been moved around the corner along with the diversion of the route away from Coldbath Road into Yardley Wood Road?? Sorry I haven't got my A-Z handy right now! Coldbath Road was always a bit narrow at the best of times especially with parked cars.

The 11A/C moved from Coldbath Road to Yardley Wood Road sometime in the 1990s. I used to go on it to Primary School in the early '90s, before they moved the stop.
By the 2000s the stops near Swanshurst School were moved from near The New Billesley pub to the left of the school.

Yes Coldbath Road is quite narrow.

The current Swanshurst Park / Yardley Wood Road stops are near a mobile phone mast. Now for the 11C/A and the 2.

I think it was 1st April 1974 that WMPTE took over Coventry Corporation buses so the Coventry buses could have appeared soon after that. I think they were only used on the Outer Circle.

The middle picture shows "The Duke of York" Harborne when I visited in 2001 it was gone!, sad as my dad worked there in the 50's and my mom was a clippy at Harborne Bus depot.
paul

Picture 2 also shows the Kings Arms in the distance which has been closed for sometime. For a few years it was know as the Harborne ALe House. Why the capital L in Ale I never understood. The toilets in picture 3 which were next door to the Duke of York are also gone. Harborne Baths opposite are being rebuilt and should reopen in January. I feel I should know the location of pic 1 but I can't place it.

Pic 1 I think is on the Bristol Rd I think the pub was the Selly Park Tavern the bus is about to go up Oak Tree Lane towards Bournville.Dek

I remember been called a 'sissie' becuase I sat down stairs with the gals due to my not smoking. Took the 17 bus from downtown Brum to right outsdie my house on Moat lane in Yardley. Mrs Eggleston next door spent the whole day in her front window, watching people come and go. Bet she had some tales to tell. John Crump OldBrit in Parker, Co USA PS Still dont smoke never did!

Not the Selly Park Tavern on picture 1 Dek as that pub is on Pershore Road near to Cannon Hill park, there were so many pubs in that area of Selly Oak but the pub on the corner may have been the Oak Inn, no doubt someone will know what it was.

Not the Selly Park Tavern on picture 1 Dek as that pub is on Pershore Road near to Cannon Hill park, there were so many pubs in that area of Selly Oak but the pub on the corner may have been the Oak Inn, no doubt someone will know what it was.
Of course not Mike don,t know why I said that I know where the Selly Park Tavern is just past the old BBC at Pebble Mill.The pub in question I only went there once one Saturday night in the 60s they used to have gigs on in an upstairs room took a girl there but as it was the wrong side of town for me it never lasted long. It would be nice to find out its name.Dek

I agree with Mikejee that that picture is in the centre of town and I am pretty sure that the building is not a pub but commercial offices

Further to my last post, this is the view of Margaret Street from Google Street View. Unfortunately Google took this photo on a very dull day. The building behind the bus is the Birmingham & Midland Institute and the building on the corner of Cornwall Street, Google describes as Birmingham College.
View attachment 70918

Referring to Lloyd's post above showing the current views. If you click on "Pic 2" in Lloyd's post then do three clicks on your right curser you will come to the car park entrance to the block of flats which has replaced the Duke of York. I think this is the actual site of the toilets. Then continue to right click and you will see the view which showed the DofY and the Kings Arms

Have lightened it a bit. looks the same
Mike

Margaret2520StreetA_.jpg

No Ragga, the gritting lorries were former buses and retained the bus driving cab. That is a Morris-Commercial stores lorry, used for taking parts to and from Tyburn Road Works.
Nice pic again!

Thanks Lloyd for correcting me about the lorry at Quinton garage sandwiched
butween those buses , what i remember about the gritting lorries back then
was they were Blue ,open back with a hood at the back of the cab with a long
bench inside , and of course the worker with the shovel and the grit , i also
remember them having a standing coke fire on the go too .
ragga :)

Back