• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

roger burke

proper brummie kid
can anyone assist me in finding some photos of aston sheds ? its almost as if the place didn't exist ! . there are a few very old ones but none whatsoever of the sixties when most of ex western britannias were allocated to aston , I recall the old sleeper fence at the top of holburn hill afforded a grandstand view of the shed and there was always an audience on that fence . someone somewhere must have some pics ! . most of my trainspotting took place there and on the gravelly hill line . id be thrilled to hear from anyone with any info .

Thankyou so much for your kindness . I have seen this page but is course it's all way before the sixties . Hope I don't appear to be unappreciative . In terms of home locos and visiting locos the sixties was possibly the sheds heyday ! . Once again many thanks . Regards roger

Hi Roger,

We lived in a maisonette just off the Washwood Heath Road and I would regularly visit Aston sheds and climb over the wall. After one particular visit I was on my way home when another group of trainspotters asked if I had seen Evening Star inside the sheds, I thought they were joking but went back (just in case). Yes, it was there in all its glory, incredible loco and unforgettable days. Regards John

I was a regular visitor to Aston in the 60,s, and remember the sleeper fence Roger Burke referes to. We went to Aston on a Sunday when the WCML diversion was on, semis, brits jubes and scots would pass through heading to Stechford and on to Rugby. Aston was the only shed I got done for trespass. It was when the ex Western Region brits turned up. The jungle telegraph had been working overtime and there were dozens of spotters on the fence. After a while it became too much and we all charged across the Stechford line and stormed the shed. Racing round trying to see all the brits I ran straight into a Railway Policeman, together with a few others we were taken to the foremans office. Names and addresses were taken and I was fined £5 for trespass, the case being heard at Steelhouse Lane courts. Does anyone remember "Grassy Banks" where the Stechford line crossed the Birmingam to Derby line at Washwood Heath? Another notable visitor to Aston was A3 60088 Book Law, that one had the local spotters jumping up and down. It was placed in the yard and was easily seen from the fence. Happy days.

Hi Roger,

We lived in a maisonette just off the Washwood Heath Road and I would regularly visit Aston sheds and climb over the wall. After one particular visit I was on my way home when another group of trainspotters asked if I had seen Evening Star inside the sheds, I thought they were joking but went back (just in case). Yes, it was there in all its glory, incredible loco and unforgettable days. Regards John

Nice memory, John. The pinnacle of my train-spotting days was in the early 60s when Evening Star passed over my favourite haunt of the Montpellier St bridge by the old Camp Hill Station. It fair blew my socks off to see it! It could be it was lodged at Aston sheds at that time.

Regards, Ray

For those non railway folk I mention that Evening Star was built at Swindon and was the last steam loco to be built for British Railways in 1960. She had a short working life being withdrawn in 1965 and can be seen at the National Railway Museum in York. She ran principally in the Western Region of BR but did, on occasions work the Pines Express (Bournemouth to Manchester). This service would place her at some point in the journey at Birmingham, presumably in the spot Ray records above.

I have a scale model of Evening Star, made from British coal. I too used to "do" Aston Sheds, usually on Sundays when the diversion was on. Never got caught. Sheds were a lot like cinemas, some were easy to "bunk into" and others were hard. You could apply for a pass from BR for some sheds. I got one for Saltley, which was considered one of the harder ones to do.

Dave A
For those non railway folk I mention that Evening Star was built at Swindon and was the last steam loco to be built for British Railways in 1960. She had a short working life being withdrawn in 1965 and can be seen at the National Railway Museum in York. She ran principally in the Western Region of BR but did, on occasions work the Pines Express (Bournemouth to Manchester). This service would place her at some point in the journey at Birmingham, presumably in the spot Ray records above.

Yes, Alan, the Pines Express was a regular through the abandoned Camp Hill Station and I looked forward to seeing whichever loco was pulling it each time, but it was never Evening Star. As you say, that loco did head it occasionally, but when I saw it steaming slowly over Montpellier St bridge it wasn't hauling anything, so perhaps on the way to connect with the coaches or returning to the sheds after a day's work.

Regards, Ray

I have a scale model of Evening Star, made from British coal. I too used to "do" Aston Sheds, usually on Sundays when the diversion was on. Never got caught. Sheds were a lot like cinemas, some were easy to "bunk into" and others were hard. You could apply for a pass from BR for some sheds. I got one for Saltley, which was considered one of the harder ones to do.

Dave A

I've got an Evening Star model too, Dave. The Hornby commemorative edition and it looks and runs beautifully, pulling the "Pines Express" with the name board on the front and all the maroon Midland coaches marked with the proper decals.

Regards, Ray

I've got an Evening Star model too, Dave. The Hornby commemorative edition and it looks and runs beautifully, pulling the "Pines Express" with the name board on the front and all the maroon Midland coaches marked with the proper decals.

Regards, Ray
It must be worth a lot of money...have you had it from new?

Dave A

It must be worth a lot of money...have you had it from new?

Dave A

Yes, Dave. I think it cost about £120 (just the loco and tender). Then I paid about £30 to have a digital chip installed so I could run it independently of other models.

Regards, Ray

Yes I remember 'Grassy Banks' Spent many years spotting there between 1951 and 1958. The Aston-Stetchford line had some rare stuff on. 1957 Saturday, June, about 1.15pm 72009 Clan Stewart came through with a passenger train full of RAF personnel in uniform! And of course those diversions, some of them started 10pm on a Saturday and finished in the early hours Monday, both ways too.

Aston was a favourite shed to bunk especially tea time when the loco off the 'Glasgow' was in the yard. I coped all the brits from 30A and 32A there. The loco on the Glasgow was a 'running-in' turn for Crewe works.

Mike.

Hi Mike, its great you remember Grassy Banks, not many spotters knew of it. We used to stand the New st side of the embankment, next to the old Saltley carriage shed, opposite the banker sidings. If a fireman came out of the hut to make up a fire you knew a train was on its way. Watching those old 3f,s crowing away to the train engine then begining to push was really entertaining. I have a photo of a line of dead 3f,s at Saltley waiting for the torch, all the old favourites from Grassy Banks. 72009 seemed to like the Midlands, it would turn up quite regularly. I was in the tea rooms on Crewe sta one afternoon waiting for our return to Birmingham when 72007 went steaming past on fish vans. We rushed out and down to the end of the platform. Luckily it had stopped for a crew change and I managed a quick shot before it pulled away. Alas I did,nt see any of the polamadie Clans. When I was not weekend shed bashing round the country I would do Aston, Saltley and Tyesley on a sunday. I spent many a day at Saltley and never had any problems there, still have a lot of the numbers in my old books. Such a shame it,s all gone now.

Hi Mike, its great you remember Grassy Banks, not many spotters knew of it. We used to stand the New st side of the embankment, next to the old Saltley carriage shed, opposite the banker sidings. If a fireman came out of the hut to make up a fire you knew a train was on its way. Watching those old 3f,s crowing away to the train engine then begining to push was really entertaining. I have a photo of a line of dead 3f,s at Saltley waiting for the torch, all the old favourites from Grassy Banks. 72009 seemed to like the Midlands, it would turn up quite regularly. I was in the tea rooms on Crewe sta one afternoon waiting for our return to Birmingham when 72007 went steaming past on fish vans. We rushed out and down to the end of the platform. Luckily it had stopped for a crew change and I managed a quick shot before it pulled away. Alas I did,nt see any of the polamadie Clans. When I was not weekend shed bashing round the country I would do Aston, Saltley and Tyesley on a sunday. I spent many a day at Saltley and never had any problems there, still have a lot of the numbers in my old books. Such a shame it,s all gone now.
I'm one of those spotters that new nothing of the grassy bank, where exactly was it? I was a Midland region buff, never had a lot of interest in the others, but did collect numbers whenever I was in the area. My great love was the Stanier loco's, I guess this is the main reason that I love the MR. I would go to New St station everyday on my way home from school (Moseley to Aston) to see what was pulling the 5.00 train from Glasgow. Usually a disappointment resulting in the usual chant of "crate!! crate!!". However, the element of surprise was always there to keep me going.

Dave A

Hi Dave, it was in Aston Church Road where the road passes over the derby line. The stetchford line ran parallel with the road on a separate bridge. Its still possible to get down there, in fact the spur off into the old carriage works is still in frequent use today. If you were a Stanier man, Saltley would have kept you happy.

Well Grassy Banks was just off Aston Church Road parallel to the Aston Stechford line where the Midland dissected. My favourite spot was under the arches opposite where you were Dave, the banker siding was the other side over the brook. I still remember the 11oc, B1 and the 1.15pm 'Devonian' passing. Up on the high level was mostly freight but of course it would come alive on the Sunday diversions. Do you remember the 7ish pm shunt down the high level single branch line to the carriage works and midland junction. The protecting junction signal was an old LNW lower quadrant.

Saw my 1st Clan 72004 Clan McDonald on the Glasgow that would be the early 50.s

Mike.

Hi Dave, it was in Aston Church Road where the road passes over the derby line. The stetchford line ran parallel with the road on a separate bridge. Its still possible to get down there, in fact the spur off into the old carriage works is still in frequent use today. If you were a Stanier man, Saltley would have kept you happy.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge of the area. It's been 60 years since I lived in Brum. Saltley meant the gasworks to me or freight yards, lots of black 5's and 8f's

Well Grassy Banks was just off Aston Church Road parallel to the Aston Stechford line where the Midland dissected. My favourite spot was under the arches opposite where you were Dave, the banker siding was the other side over the brook. I still remember the 11oc, B1 and the 1.15pm 'Devonian' passing. Up on the high level was mostly freight but of course it would come alive on the Sunday diversions. Do you remember the 7ish pm shunt down the high level single branch line to the carriage works and midland junction. The protecting junction signal was an old LNW lower quadrant.

Saw my 1st Clan 72004 Clan McDonald on the Glasgow that would be the early 50.s

Mike.
Again Mike, I've been left Brum 60 years, I don't even recall 2 levels. I do remember the diversions, sitting on grassy banks overlooking the line, there were grassy banks on both sides something like a "cutting"or culvert, maybe this is what is being referred to. I do remember bunking in to Aston sheds and copping Clan Buchanan, Oh! the jubilation!!

great to see this thread come back to life folks...enjoying reading your memories

lyn

The high level was the Aston-Stetchford line and the low level the Midland - New St Derby line.

Somebody on here will surly remember the local 'club' 'stovepipe' club I think. A coach used to pick up a load of us on the corner of Aston Church Road - Washwood Heath Road early on a Sunday morning an convey us all to all over the country visiting sheds or bunking them arriving back late Sunday night. Then we would spend all night underlining in our ABC's.

Mike.

Back