• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
The high level was the Aston-Stetchford line and the low level the Midland - New St Derby line.

Somebody on here will surly remember the local 'club' 'stovepipe' club I think. A coach used to pick up a load of us on the corner of Aston Church Road - Washwood Heath Road early on a Sunday morning an convey us all to all over the country visiting sheds or bunking them arriving back late Sunday night. Then we would spend all night underlining in our ABC's.

Mike.
happy days..did ya do the Scottish trip in 61

• Oct 13, 2008 i posted a thread on grassy banks

Attachments

• Nechells panoramic veiw.jpg
    Nechells panoramic veiw.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Yes I remember 'Grassy Banks' Spent many years spotting there between 1951 and 1958. The Aston-Stetchford line had some rare stuff on. 1957 Saturday, June, about 1.15pm 72009 Clan Stewart came through with a passenger train full of RAF personnel in uniform! And of course those diversions, some of them started 10pm on a Saturday and finished in the early hours Monday, both ways too.

Aston was a favourite shed to bunk especially tea time when the loco off the 'Glasgow' was in the yard. I coped all the brits from 30A and 32A there. The loco on the Glasgow was a 'running-in' turn for Crewe works.

Mike.
yer and me, school holidays we lived down there. bottles of tea and jam sarnies. my place was on the end of the aston stechford line. by the bridge. once we went over the other side of the track, were the old knacker yard was WHITE HOUSE .and the raiway police from the metro camel moved us on.

yer and me, school holidays we lived down there. bottles of tea and jam sarnies. my place was on the end of the aston stechford line. by the bridge. once we went over the other side of the track, were the old knacker yard was WHITE HOUSE .and the raiway police from the metro camel moved us on.
Happy days as kids we bunked sheds and went through holes in fences to great the best view of beloved loco's so that we could cross them off in our Ian Allen Ref.
For all that travel whether it be local Aston ,Saltley , Tamworth, Lichfield T/V all we wanted was to get loco numbers our numbers of spotters must have gone into 1000's we didn't vandalise rail property and other than the yard foreman we had no fears.
What a difference it would be with some of the youth and thugs about these days and how safe would we be doing the traveling we did.

I remember one Saturday Birmingham City was playing Doncaster Rovers and we was able to get an excursion ticket to further our loco cops, but we had to change at Sheffield from Midland to Sheffield Victoria that's where 25 of use got lost. We follow blue and white scarves thinking they was Birmingham supporters we was wrong they was Owls supporters going to Huddersfield and we was on the wrong train going the wrong way.
A rail official stopped the train at Penniston Station and they organised a bus to take us to Doncaster what wonderful few hours we had at Doncaster LNER every one was a cop.
We realise after there wouldn't have been that many Brum supporters.
We had some wonderful day excursions to London, Crewe, even went to Scotland on a day excursion when Electrification started.
Happy days

I worked atJohnny Wrights for a firm called Howletts from1959 and our windows overlooked the line fro Aston into Bham.I watched themcompletly electrify the line in my time there.Like every one else on here was a train spotter in my childhood

For those non railway folk I mention that Evening Star was built at Swindon and was the last steam loco to be built for British Railways in 1960. She had a short working life being withdrawn in 1965 and can be seen at the National Railway Museum in York. She ran principally in the Western Region of BR but did, on occasions work the Pines Express (Bournemouth to Manchester). This service would place her at some point in the journey at Birmingham, presumably in the spot Ray records above.

.3233F7D0-7822-4F74-9065-71C90004D24E.jpeg

92220 Evening Star

Hi------------ I have always been a railway enthusiast/trainspotter.

In 1958-1964 I was a Fireman at Aston,3D,21D. In 1960 Aston started working ESSO petrol train (about a 1000 tons loaded, fully braked) from Immingham Docks to Soho Pool, Winston Green, Birmingham. We worked the empties from Soho Pool down the bank to Great Barr Junction, Bescot, Walsall(Ryecroft), Brownhills, Lichfield, Wytchnor Junction, near Burton on Trent, there we went into the Down loop and waited for the loaded train from Immingham which would go into the Up loop, we then changed footplates, but it never ran that smoothly. The train from Immingham was always late we could wait anything up to 8 hours. We usually had a B1, B2, Stannier Class8 or Austerity engine, they were always low on coal and the fire in a poor state, I usually had to start cleaning the fire, as best as I could and shoveling coal forwards from the back of the tender (hard work). From Wytchnor to Ryecroft Walsall its all up hill the engine works very hard, in places at walking pace, from Walsall through Bescot to Great Barr, easy, we now have the Soho Bank , (more work for the fireman) up to the old Soho Station where we run around the train and push it into the "Soho Pool ESSO oil depo", its then light engine to Aston Loco where the engine was Disposed (fire cleaned) Coaled, watered and oil ready for the next nights work back to Immingham.

In 1961 the ESSO Petrol trains were switched from Immingham to Barry Docks. We started working petrol trains to Stourbridge Junction from Soho Pool Depo via Great Barr, Bescot, Willenhall, Dudley Port, Dudley, Round Oak, Stourbridge Junction where we went into the goods loop to wait for the loaded train from Barry Docks. We then changed footplates when it finally arrived witch was hours and hours after our arrival. Once again it is all up hill from Stourbridge Junction. We pulled the train to the start signal by Stourbridge Loco Depo and waited for 2 pannier tanks to bank us, when they whistled we set off up the bank passing Round Oak Steel Works, where in the early hours the sky was lit up by the slag heaps, and the blast from our class 9 engine (Known to train spotters as a 92 thouseners) to Dudley Tunnel on entering the tunnel the bankers dropped off. From Dudley to Great Barr Junction the going is easy. Once more we clime the Soho bank to Soho station, run round and push train into Soho Pool ESSO Depo, lite engine to Aston Loco, Disposed (fire cleaned) Coaled, watered and oil ready for the next nights work back to Barry Docks.

The Engine men booked on about 9.30 pm and it was not unusual for us to work 12 hours or more all the trains ran Monday to Friday.

Now to evening Star. All the engines used on the Barry Docks trains were pull by Class 9 locos sheded at Cardiff (Canton) 86C, they had about 30 in all. On 4 occasions I had Evening star when working these trains. We also had 92250 which was the last numbered class 9.

In January 1963 about 7.30am in the morning we arrived back to Aston Loco after working the Barry petrol train with "Evening Star 92220", the snow was a foot deep, after signing off I took the GWR fireman's shovel of the engine to dig out my car(Standard Vanguard). Because the snow was so bad I put the shovel in the boot and used it a few times that year. Not much gritting in them days.

What memories I have.

I still have that GWR shovel off 92220 Evening Star.

Last edited:
92220 Evening Star

In 1958-1964 I was a Fireman at Aston,3D,21D. In 1960 Aston started working ESSO petrol train (about a 1000 tons loaded, fully braked) from Immingham Docks to Soho Pool, Winston Green, Birmingham. We worked the empties from Soho Pool down the bank to Great Barr Junction, Bescot, Walsall(Patricroft), Brownhills, Lichfield, Wytchnor Junction, near Burton on Trent, there we went into the Down loop and waited for the loaded train from Immingham which would go into the Up loop, we then changed footplates, but it never ran that smoothly. The train from Immingham was always late we could wait anything up to 8 hours. We usually had a B1, B2, Stannier Class8 or Austerity engine, they were always low on coal and the fire in a poor state, I usually had to start cleaning the fire, as best as I could and shoveling coal forwards from the back of the tender (hard work). From Wytchnor to Patricroft Walsall its all up hill the engine works very hard, in places at walking pace, from Walsall through Bescot to Great Barr, easy, we now have the Soho Bank , (more work for the fireman) up to the old Soho Station where we run around the train and push it into the "Soho Pool ESSO oil depo", its then light engine to Aston Loco where the engine was Disposed (fire cleaned) Coaled, watered and oil ready for the next nights work back to Barry.

In 1961 the ESSO Petrol trains were switched from Immingham to Barry Docks. We started working petrol trains to Stourbridge Junction from Soho Pool Depo via Great Barr, Bescot, Willenhall, Dudley Port, Dudley, Round Oak, Stourbridge Junction where we went into the goods loop to wait for the loaded train from Barry Docks. We then changed footplates when it finally arrived witch was hours and hours after our arrival. Once again it is all up hill from Stourbridge Junction. We pulled the train to the start signal by Stourbridge Loco Depo and waited for 2 pannier tanks to bank us, when they whistled we set off up the bank passing Round Oak Steel Works, where in the early hours the sky was lit up by the slag heaps, and the blast from our class 9 engine (Known to train spotters as a 92 thouseners) to Dudley Tunnel on entering the tunnel the bankers dropped off. From Dudley to Great Barr Junction the going is easy. Once more we clime the Soho bank to Soho station, run round and push train into Soho Pool ESSO Depo, lite engine to Aston Loco.

The Engine men booked on about 9.30 pm and it was not unusual for us to work 12 hours or more all the trains ran Monday to Friday.

Now to evening Star. All the engines used on the Barry Docks trains were pull by Class 9 locos sheded at Cardiff (Canton) 86C, they had about 30 in all. On 4 occasions I had Evening star when working these trains. We also had 92250 which was the last numbered class 9.

In January 1963 about 7.30am in the morning we arrived back to Aston Loco after working the Barry petrol train with "Evening Star 92220", the snow was a foot deep, after signing off I took the GWR fireman's shovel of the engine to dig out my car(Standard Vanguard). Because the snow was so bad I put the shovel in the boot and used it a few times that year. Not much gritting in them days.

What memories I have.

wow what a great story. banking engines, i loved the jinty,

Timbo,great to read your story.My best mate was a fireman at Saltley(21A) from 1955.The tales he told me were like yours,late running couldn't really make plans. But what memories it bought back to me.

92220 Evening Star

In 1958-1964 I was a Fireman at Aston,3D,21D. In 1960 Aston started working ESSO petrol train (about a 1000 tons loaded, fully braked) from Immingham Docks to Soho Pool, Winston Green, Birmingham. We worked the empties from Soho Pool down the bank to Great Barr Junction, Bescot, Walsall(Ryecroft), Brownhills, Lichfield, Wytchnor Junction, near Burton on Trent, there we went into the Down loop and waited for the loaded train from Immingham which would go into the Up loop, we then changed footplates, but it never ran that smoothly. The train from Immingham was always late we could wait anything up to 8 hours. We usually had a B1, B2, Stannier Class8 or Austerity engine, they were always low on coal and the fire in a poor state, I usually had to start cleaning the fire, as best as I could and shoveling coal forwards from the back of the tender (hard work). From Wytchnor to Ryecroft Walsall its all up hill the engine works very hard, in places at walking pace, from Walsall through Bescot to Great Barr, easy, we now have the Soho Bank , (more work for the fireman) up to the old Soho Station where we run around the train and push it into the "Soho Pool ESSO oil depo", its then light engine to Aston Loco where the engine was Disposed (fire cleaned) Coaled, watered and oil ready for the next nights work back to Barry.

In 1961 the ESSO Petrol trains were switched from Immingham to Barry Docks. We started working petrol trains to Stourbridge Junction from Soho Pool Depo via Great Barr, Bescot, Willenhall, Dudley Port, Dudley, Round Oak, Stourbridge Junction where we went into the goods loop to wait for the loaded train from Barry Docks. We then changed footplates when it finally arrived witch was hours and hours after our arrival. Once again it is all up hill from Stourbridge Junction. We pulled the train to the start signal by Stourbridge Loco Depo and waited for 2 pannier tanks to bank us, when they whistled we set off up the bank passing Round Oak Steel Works, where in the early hours the sky was lit up by the slag heaps, and the blast from our class 9 engine (Known to train spotters as a 92 thouseners) to Dudley Tunnel on entering the tunnel the bankers dropped off. From Dudley to Great Barr Junction the going is easy. Once more we clime the Soho bank to Soho station, run round and push train into Soho Pool ESSO Depo, lite engine to Aston Loco.

What memories I have.

Hello, Timbo90

Great memories you have. As a keen train spotter in probably 1961 or 62 I once saw Evening Star steam majestically over the Montpellier St bridge at Camp Hill Station (then disused) pulling nothing and heading towards Birmingham centre. I told my train-spotting pals and they didn't believe me until checks were made and it was found that Evening Star was indeed on that line then. I don't suppose you were in the cab for that?

Hello, Timbo90

Great memories you have. As a keen train spotter in probably 1961 or 62 I once saw Evening Star steam majestically over the Montpellier St bridge at Camp Hill Station (then disused) pulling nothing and heading towards Birmingham centre. I told my train-spotting pals and they didn't believe me until checks were made and it was found that Evening Star was indeed on that line then. I don't suppose you were in the cab for that?

Hello Ray T
The only time I worked over that line was when I was a Pass Cleaner and I was loaned to Saltley shed because they were short of firemen. I was put on a banking engine at Washward Heath, a very old class 3F. That night we banked 2 heavy goods trains to Camp Hill where we dropped off and returned to Washwood Heath. After banking the second Goods Train we then took the engine to Bournville Shed for disposal, fire cleaning, (what a fantastic round house ), and then traveled by bus back to Saltley to sign off.

In 1978 they had an open day at Tyesley and Evening Star was there.I have about 20 photos on slides.

Hi

Anyone remember 58182, which seemed to spend most of its time shunting at Stechford
or parked up in the sidings by Albert Road Bridge in the 1950s.(facing our house)

Apparently when it was scrapped in the 60's it was the oldest loco still running on BR.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi

Anyone remember 58182, which seemed to spend most of its time shunting at Stechford
or parked up in the sidings by Albert Road Bridge in the 1950s.(facing our house)

Apparently when it was scrapped in the 60's it was the oldest loco still running on BR.

Kind regards
Dave
at least it was scrapped at derby works.

Hi

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave89
You are right 58182, class 2F, Built in 1917, was an Aston Engine and it ended its days working in the Derby area. it was also the last survivor of the class, It was still at Aston when I left the railway in 1964. It was the engine I did my first firering turn on as a young Pass Cleaner in 1958. The engine did the local goods tripper and shunting at these yards, Curzon St, Banbury St, Exchange Sidings, Adderley Park, Stechford, Aston Goods and then it took the shed coal onto Aston Loco, about 20 trucks, 200 tons. We had finished for the day.

Hi

Many thanks for the replies re 58182,- I think I saw this loco
more times than just about any other one.

I lived in Frederick Road about 50 yards from Albert Road and had a panoramic
view of the Aston line junction from my bedroom.

I was really spoiled as a trainspotter!

Kind regards
Dave

Yes, tell me more? Was this on the railway?

He was a 'Guards Inspector' based at Birmingham New Street prior to him leaving the railway. I was a Guard at the time and became a 'Guards Inspector' for about 3 months before they scrapped the grade and called me a 'Manager'.

As a fireman at Aston Loco in "Jan1961" I remember my driver (Herbert Clement) and I had worked the night scotch 10.45 pm from New St to Crewe where we changed engines, our engine would be a "class 7 Scot" and a "class 8 Duchess" would take the train on to Scotland, we took our engine to Crewe North shed. We then waited on Crewe station for the "Fish train" which we worked back to "Curzon St", arriving about 5 am, this was our roster Monday to Friday. On Saturday we were rostered Spare and were sent with a Tank engine to Curzon St to perform heating duties on a train load of Bananas because it was freezing weather, we sat there for 14 hours. What a comedown from the Night Scotch to heating Bananas.

I don't remember 58182, along with 58167 (Saltley nuisance) they are film stars on a special from Stourbridge to Longbridge will try and find the YouTube link. Not sure if 58182 was at 3D in my train spotting time, but do remember 42947 (grassy Banks nuisance) up and down the branch like a yo-yo

1959 SLS special to Harbourne view video at Warwickshire railways

Last edited:
Back