• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Would the locomotive that brought in the 5.00pm arrival from Glasgow be diagrammed
to work that evenings departure?

Would the locomotive that brought in the 5.00pm arrival from Glasgow be diagrammed
to work that evenings departure?
Really don't know that. In fact I did not stick around after the train arrived to see if the train went on. I had to get home to tea in Aston...BTW, the Patriot in the photo is 45531 Sir Frederick Harrison.
Dave A

Does anyone remember Fred Gibbs, who lived in Aston Church Rd, He was a driver, and always went about in his overalls, I fired for him once, and he only had two positions with the regulator, fully off or fully on, chunks of coal used to come out the chimney, I believe when the diesels came out he burnt a set of electric motors, piece on him here, https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/aston_shed_memories.htm
Charles,
Fred was my Granduncle. I enjoyed reading your post.
Adam

Aston Sheds.

“Despite being nationalised at the beginning of the previous year, the tenders of these locomotives seen in the shed yard at 3D Aston. in Birmingham still sport the logo's of their previous owner on 13th August 1949. A shed employee. in foreman's or shedmaster's attire, places a lamp on the bracket of Class 5 4-6-0 No 45349. (A. N. H. Glover)

British railways steaming on the London Midland Region. vol. 3 by Hands, Peter. (1990)

B0142448-B039-47CF-9366-0E3F64702FB3.jpeg

Not the Sheds but a loco based from..

“With upper and lower semaphores abreast and aft. Class 5 4-6-0 No 45349, a Birminghan based engine from 21D Aston, finds itself employed on a Manchester to Landudno express in high summer in 1962. It is photographed at another neglected location, from the photographers point of view, Queens Ferry on the North Wales main line, between Chester and Shotton. Queens Ferry station was closed in 1966.” (Kit Windle)

British railways steaming on the London Midland Region. vol. 3 by Hands, Peter. (1990)

9BA70FF3-BA77-427E-9EAC-402ABA01FB2F.jpeg

Back