• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Wendy
Sorry I dont know her, I was born in 1944 so I wouldnt really be at school the same time as your mom would I.
Wendy

Oh well, never mind.
I was in Alum Rock late last year, visiting friends, havent been for years, nearly had a fit driving through, scared the life out of me! It was like driving on a race track! lol And the parking OMG!
Cried my eyes out looking at Southalls being demolished, my nan was a supervisor there til she retired in 1984.

Wendy.xxx

Oh I didnt know Southalls had been pulled down - my mom worked there too until about 1977.
When I now visit my son in Birmingham we avoid the Rock like the plague. You just cant get thro for traffic and cars parked just anywhere. I pity the poor bus drivers having to negotiate thro that lot all day.
Wendy

I was shocked too about Southalls, i also popped onto Ward End Park Road, just for a nosey, trip down memory lane, nearly crashed the car when i saw that Ward End Ex servicemans club had gone too! My grandad was head barman there for years!!!!

I didnt know that either!! Mind you I have been left birmingham nearly 5 years now and when I visit my son, I dont go down that way much any more. I used to go a lot cos I had an aunt in Clipston Road.
Where are you living now?
Wendy

Moved from Alum Rock 1974, but grandparents lived there til grandmother died 1985, used to spend every weekend there, got grandad moved nearer to me in Marston Green, wanted him closer.

whoever asked the question! right on your pic, save it to my pictures then you can use it to send whenever. regards derklcg.

Yes Mr Gawthorpe was lovely he moved to a practice in Sutton Coldfield before he retired and then the dentist from hell took over!!!

Flounder I was born 1951 too my name Pamela Mann,my grandparents lived in Pelham Road.

Flounder another coincidence my mother worked at Southalls for many years late 50's/60's in the offices and her sister worked in the factory.

My grandmother Nellie Mann worked on the factory floor as far as i know. lol

Pam
What was your moms name and did she live on Alum Rock or go to Nansen Road School.
I went to Mr. Gawthorpe in Sutton till he retired and neve found anyone as nice as him. Wonder if he is stil around.
WendyP

Hi Wendy My mom's name was Vera Mann( nee Hickman) both sets of grandparents lived in Pelham Road.Mom and Dad attended Sladefield Road school.

I have a good dentist now who is very nice but have to travel to Chelmsley Wood.I was with Mr Gawthorpe from 1960 until he retired.
Pam

Hi
Your mom and me didnt go to the same schools then?

I was going to Mr. Gawthorpe at the same time as you by the sounds of it. I remember him telling all about his walking tours in Crete. Do you think he is still alive.
Wendy

Wendy, I have copies of the pages for Alum Rock road from the 1945 and 1955 Kelly's directory. I will post them to you if you PM or email me with your address. I thoen there thought that the earlier one would help with background on how long the been there etc.

Sue

I certainly do remember the dolls hospital. My doll was always in being mended and having new wigs. My little brother used to drag her around and break her arms and legs! I still have that doll.
Wendy

Sue, I would love that please but as I am new to this I dont know how to PM you! Can you do it to me and then I can reply???
Wendy

WendyP click on Sues title in Blue then Public Profile you will beable to send a PM

Last edited:
Wendyp Don't know if Mr gawthorpe is still alive .Last time I went to his surgery in Sutton Coldfield was about 17 years ago when he retired.
Pam

I remember the toy/model shop, used to be almost oposite Ralph Road, where I would go and spend my 2/6p pocket money. I lived in Ash Road from 1955 to 1966 and used to go shopping with my mom every Saturday morning,
That would be Groves, I guess? We lived in Herrick Road from 1956 until about 1967, and we did a lot of our shopping "down The Rock"; a regular Saturday morning trip for me as a teenager was to Fowler's, where a crowd of us would gather to listen to - and possibly even buy - the latest pop singles. I'd forgotten all about J P McGauley's - I had a bike from there too. There was a cut-price shop near Fowler's called "The Shop That Stands On A Bob", and Lucas's ironmongers up opposite Woolies near the Highfield Road junction. Blimey, the names are rolling back now....
Graham

Hi Graham, my mom and grandparents lived in Herrick Road from around 1955 onwards, 86/2 in the flats, Barbara Mann.

Wendy

Hi
Yes The shop that stands on a Bob was great, sold all sorts didnt it? Do you also remember Zissmans mens shop just up from May Mitchells wool shop before the Methodist Church.
I too used to go in Fowlers to buy my records but mainly to listen to them!
Did you go to Staffords to have your hair cut, or Mr. Lowe the barber by Reginald Road.
WendyP

Flounder - do you remember the Betting Shop in Herrick Road, not far from the junction with Wright Road? I used to know the people who lived behind and upstairs.

Hi WendyP - yes, I remember Zissmans. Maybe we were in Fowlers together at some time and never knew it!
I went to Ted Stafford's barber shop; I knew both David (now well known as a radio 4 broadcaster) and John from Saltley Methodist Scouts, where we were all members. David is a little older than me, and John is my age.

Flounder, we lived in the flats too - 87/5. They must have been bang opposite us.

Hi Graham

David Stafford is a couple of years older than me but I know of him because his relative, Norma Stafford, was my best friend at school and we still see each other ocassionally after 50 odd years! She talked about him sometimes.

I too went to Saltley Methodist Church, we all did if you lived on the Rock!! I sang in the choir there and also went to the Brownies and the Youth Club. If you are the same age as me, our paths must have crossed.
Which schools did you go to?
WendyP

Hi WendyP - it looks very much as though we must have been in several of the same places at the same time! We moved to Herrick Road from Duddeston in 56, so I finished my primary schooling at the school I'd started at - Loxton Street Junior - so I didn't go to school in the Alum Rock area. At 11 I went to Central Grammar, so still out of the district! We must know a number of the same people from Saltley Methodist - I went through Cubs, Scouts, Seniors & Rovers there. I can't remember who used to run the Brownies when I joined the Cubs, but later on my mother became Brown Owl, and my father was Group Scout Leader. I'll admit to having been born in 1946, so you can work it out from there......

Graham

Have just posted a pic showing a shop at Saltley Gate that might be of interest on the Birmingham Trams thread.

Hi Graham, Well I will admit to being born in 44!
Whats your surname? We must have bumped into each other. I remember some of the boys who went to church, The Fawcett brothers and the Fountains. Cant remember the others.
I cant remember the Brown Owl at all and I didnt go to guides.
Its a small world isnt it.
WendyP

Back