• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road Shops

Thank you once again, these are super photos.
My friend held her wedding reception in those Co-op rooms and probably had that band too! I will tell her to get on the Forum and have a look. Thers no way I can email your message and photo to anyone is there?
You certainly have a wonderful collection of postcards - is it just a hobby?
Incidentally the one showing a cafe on the corner of Clodsall Road, was a cafe owned by Greek Cypriots that had just come to England and we went in there at about aged 14 for a frothie coffee and to listen to the juke box. I never thought I would see that again.
Thanks again, Wendy

Wendy

I'm sure you can attach a copy of the photo to an email, but you will need the assistance of someone a little more computer minded than myself. In answer to your question about photo's. I think that a photo can sometimes bring back more memories than all the written words might. So I collect them for fun and nostalgia. If that is what a hobby is then "yes its a hobby".

Phil

Wendy

Did you go to the dentist that used to be Alum Rock Road end of Bowyer Road? I have terrible memories of that place - the big leather chair, the gas mask. I only went once, I wouldn't go again so ended up at the school clinic in Sheep Street. I don't know which was worse!

Suemalings I remember that horrible dentist at the end of bowyer Road hated the place ended up at MR Gawthorpe's near to the Pelham.

Hi sue

I used to go to Sheep Street and that was bad enough! My mom went to that dentist in Bowyer Road tho and he took all her teeth out when she was ever so young and put new false ones straight in! she was in agony. Why did they used to take all your teeth out. I too used to go to Mr. Gawthorpe, wasnt he lovely. I went to him for years until he retired and then I couldnt find a decent dentist. I ended up at one in Water Orton where we lived and they were ok.
Wendy

At the age of 16 I finally plucked up the courage to go to a dentists and it was also Dr. Gawthorpe at the Pelham. Do you remember the "boutique" just along the road from the dentists? It was owned by one of the Birmingham City footballers but I can't remember which one. I bought a "cat suit" from there in the late 60's. It was every colour you could imagine and my pride and joy.

Hi, i lived in College Road with my parents, then moved to Herrick Road with my grandparents after my parents split in the 70's, my mom went to Nansen Road girls school in the 50's.
The pics are lovely, bit before my time, but will try and show my grandad, he will love them.
Wendy.xxx

Hi Sue

I didnt remember the boutique until you mentioned it. Now I do. I wonder who the footballer was.
Wendy

Barbara Mann born 1951. Friends with janice Hicks who live just off Highfield Road, Tarry Avenue i think.
Hope this helps.

Wendy.xxx

Hi Wendy
Sorry I dont know her, I was born in 1944 so I wouldnt really be at school the same time as your mom would I.
Wendy

Oh well, never mind.
I was in Alum Rock late last year, visiting friends, havent been for years, nearly had a fit driving through, scared the life out of me! It was like driving on a race track! lol And the parking OMG!
Cried my eyes out looking at Southalls being demolished, my nan was a supervisor there til she retired in 1984.

Wendy.xxx

Oh I didnt know Southalls had been pulled down - my mom worked there too until about 1977.
When I now visit my son in Birmingham we avoid the Rock like the plague. You just cant get thro for traffic and cars parked just anywhere. I pity the poor bus drivers having to negotiate thro that lot all day.
Wendy

I was shocked too about Southalls, i also popped onto Ward End Park Road, just for a nosey, trip down memory lane, nearly crashed the car when i saw that Ward End Ex servicemans club had gone too! My grandad was head barman there for years!!!!

I didnt know that either!! Mind you I have been left birmingham nearly 5 years now and when I visit my son, I dont go down that way much any more. I used to go a lot cos I had an aunt in Clipston Road.
Where are you living now?
Wendy

Moved from Alum Rock 1974, but grandparents lived there til grandmother died 1985, used to spend every weekend there, got grandad moved nearer to me in Marston Green, wanted him closer.

whoever asked the question! right on your pic, save it to my pictures then you can use it to send whenever. regards derklcg.

Yes Mr Gawthorpe was lovely he moved to a practice in Sutton Coldfield before he retired and then the dentist from hell took over!!!

Flounder I was born 1951 too my name Pamela Mann,my grandparents lived in Pelham Road.

Flounder another coincidence my mother worked at Southalls for many years late 50's/60's in the offices and her sister worked in the factory.

Back