• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

The Tilt Hammer Saltley Gate by the number 8 bus stop with clock, the phone number will date it as it shows East rather the a 3 digit code
source old brum pubs no date
Jumping off the bus as it turned the corner there added a bit of danger to my school day. Saved a whole two minutes of walk back from the bus stop.

Wendy

The relevent part of the 1956 kellys is on the two pages below:

My grandparents lived at 684 at Broadbents fish and chips and my aunt and uncle had Dunns hairdressers next door 686 they would eventually take over the running of the fish and chip shop which was the parents of Doris Dunn.
mike

Do you remember the music shop - Hawtins? I bought a guitar from there about in 1966
Hello SueMalins, a reply more than a year after you asked the question.
I know Alum Rock Shops, have been reading the thread, and had to reply to you.
I used to go to Mr Hawtins for my 45 records (and occasional EP and LP) in the early and middle '60s. If what was wanted wasn't in stock, or, if it was a new release Mr Hawtin would order it in for you. I still have 45 sleeves stamped with the oval 'Hawtins' mark. I remember the shop, between Belchers Lane and the Capital bridge, as small, dark and old-fashioned, but always friendly and obliging - nothing was a problem.
I remember many of the shops mentioned on this thread, but have not seen anything about one that my parents and their family used to frequent. This was further along Alum Rock Road, going towards the 'top of the rock', to just past Southalls factory. It was called 'Mab's Cafe' and apparently was between Farndon Road (Mrs Ashton's wool shop and library on the corner), and I think it was Wimbush's on the next corner of Foxton Road. All I can remember as ever existing shops between these two (the rest were still houses) was a men's hair-cutting shop that had apparently been there for years.
I was told that family members would go to Mab's Cafe for a treat at birthday's, weddings etc. and that it closed 'years ago'
Does anyone else remember or have heard others talk of Mab's Cafe on Alum Rock Road?

In the 1940s/1950s my dad Alec Bradbury had a corn and seed merchants shop at the junction of Highfield Road with Alum Rock Road. There was a very deep dark cellar outside on the pavement covered with a wooden lid. The shop had a very wierd smell I seem to remember.

Hi , I actually bought a Kellys Directory of Birmingham -1967 / 1968 off Ebay. I've had a look ( there's a lot of info ) and Alum Rock Road is in there ( we lived there in the mid 60's ) . If you like I could try to copy it and send it to you , or maybe just e-mail a few relevant pages to you .

Hi , I actually bought a Kellys Directory of Birmingham -1967 / 1968 off Ebay. I've had a look ( there's a lot of info ) and Alum Rock Road is in there ( we lived there in the mid 60's ) . If you like I could try to copy it and send it to you , or maybe just e-mail a few relevant pages to you .
Hi Stevo,
Could you send me this information please. I need to know the names of shops or businesses in Alum Rock Rd at the time for a project I am doing.

Many Thanks

Wendy, I have copies of the pages for Alum Rock road from the 1945 and 1955 Kelly's directory. I will post them to you if you PM or email me with your address. I thoen there thought that the earlier one would help with background on how long the been there etc.

Sue
Hi Sue,
Is it possible you still have this directory? Could you possible email it to me?

That would be amazing!

Could you email it to me?

How do I send a PM with my email address?
Just click on the small envelope at the top right hand corer of the page and click start a new conversation. Pop the name of the member in the recipients box, a title of your message next, then away you go with your conversation in the box below..

I lived on Washwood Heath Road from 1961 to 1967 and shopped along Alum Rock Road, I remember my first experience of a 'supermarket'albeit a small one.It was on the right hand side as you go from the Gate and somewhere near to Harlew Caravans,, ironmongers.
Does anyone remember it and know the name.

Mike's 1967/68 Kelly's (post #553) lists Tesco at no. 23 and Commonwealth Continental Stores, grocers at no. 33.

Harlew Caravans seems to have been at no. 41.

Before where IMG_0835.jpegTesco was on the corner of Alum Rock Road and George Arthur Road was a family run shop run by Mr And Mrs Bagley, their son Ernie was my husband’s best friend growing up.

Hello Everyone.
Lovely to read the old memories of Alum Rock, I grew up in Ludlow Road from 1965 and lived there until 1988. My Mom & Dad had the newsagents on the corner of Ludlow Rd & Alderson Rd (Scott's). I went to Shaw Hill School and remember the shops along Alum Rock vividly. Jim Fitters butcher's, Arnold Moores' butchers, CH Brown greengrocers, Armstrongs ironmongers (mentioned in an earlier post). Cherry wallpapers, Wisemans on the corner of Parkfield Road, Holliers pet shop, Turned On Records opposite which then became Green Dragon Records about 1976 I think, Staffords for a hair cut, Shaws for anything electrical, and I haven't even reached the Rock pub yet ! I remeber our class from Shaw Hill walking from school first thing Monday morning down the Rock to George Arthur swimming baths ! Happy days indeed.
Rob.
any photo of your mums and dads shop ? Thank you

Here are the three pages of Alum rock road from the 1967/68 Kellys

View attachment 180212View attachment 180211View attachment 180210
Thank you for posting these pages from Kelly's Directory. I spoke with my aunt today, aged 92, about my mum, who died recently; she told me my mum worked at a hairdressers in Alum Rock in a shop called Gloria Dawn, in 1958/9, and there it is on the page you posted. I lived in Wright Road, between 1961 and 1965. Our house was exactly opposite a little shop, I remember. Thank you so much. This means a lot to me.

Thank you for posting these pages from Kelly's Directory. I spoke with my aunt today, aged 92, about my mum, who died recently; she told me my mum worked at a hairdressers in Alum Rock in a shop called Gloria Dawn, in 1958/9, and there it is on the page you posted. I lived in Wright Road, between 1961 and 1965. Our house was exactly opposite a little shop, I remember. Thank you so much. This means a lot to me.
I loved trolling through those Kelly's pages, thnks. I was hoping to spot a little cafe I used to work in... 1964ish... think it was called the Pigalle.... looks like it had gone by 1967.
I also had my hair done at Gloria Dawns.
Annie

I loved trolling through those Kelly's pages, thnks. I was hoping to spot a little cafe I used to work in... 1964ish... think it was called the Pigalle.... looks like it had gone by 1967.
Annie
Did you visit Gloria Dawn Hairdressers in 1958/9? My mum's name was Marilyn.

Annie
I think I saw that someone else has posted some pages from an earlier Kelly's. I'll try to find them for you.

Annie
Mikejee 2009, has posted two pages from a 1956 Kelly's if that helps.

Anyone has photos of Alum Rock Road shops in the 1970's and 1980's ?
Anyone has Paul's Fish and chips shop from the 80s photo or Rock Video Centre thank you.

Christine thank you for replying, about my Uncle Tim. Used to visit him with my dad every xmas, where he had all the presents on the wall,he used to pop in and see us sometimes when he left work at Marsh and Baxters.

New about the Alsatians but not about the Chickens, Tell me i can´t remember his wife Floss do you know when she died ?,
Did they have any Children ?

Being my uncle apart from seeing him a couple of times a year, i knew little about him apart from,
I knew he liked a drink in the pub across the road,
He wore a carnation
He along with my dad were fishermen in Ireland
And was a bit of a boxer in his time but not very good i hear.

If you have anymore info would love to know, espically Floss´s maiden name and do i have any cousins, but don´t think i do,

Must admit your the first person i have found ho lived so close to him
Late reply but I don’t think Timmy or floss had children. I remember them well and was always terrified of their Alsatian dog Rusty. They were always friendly and I remember Timmy having a broad Irish accent

Thanks for info on other Kelly's pages... too early for me, but still took a look.
I would have been going to Gloria Dawn's 1964ish when I was working at the cafe... too late for your Mom. I think the stylist could have been Dee.
Another place I was trying to locate is The Silver Slipper or it may have been The Dancing Slipper (Jean Johnson's Dancing School). It should be on the Alum Rock Road... I may have just missed it..
Again, many thanks!

Annie

Back