• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adverts of yesteryear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete,

It's now part of the Schwartz brand (spices and all that) and is even available in most supermarkets here in Greece. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it in the UK.

Maurice

I had a camp coffee the other day, served in a small retro cafe in Atherstone. A nostalgia trip lol.

Camp coffee can be found in the home baking section in supermarkets. Used to love that coffee. Was it the chicory in it that made it sweeter than regular coffee ? Does it still have chicory in it ? Might give it a try. Viv.

I think your right Viv. It was the chicory that made it very sweet. In fact, thinking about it, was it not a coffee subsite? I have a feeling it contains a small amount of coffee, the main ingredient being the chicory essence

On a visit to Penang on a sight seeing trip with a taxi driver, afterwe stopped at the temple of the snakes,we went next door to a greasy spoon and had a cup of coffee. Camp coffee with condensed milk, delicious!
Bob

Chicory was used as a coffee substitute when real coffee wasn't available during the war.
I liked the Camp coffee but detest 'instant' Nescafe and the like, got a jar of Douwe Egberts in my cupboard for visitors, it's about five years old. :)

Morturn
If it had been me then it would have been a trip to hell. My early experiences of "coffee" were all Camp (not in the modern use of the word) and put me off real coffee for many years.

Chicory was used as a coffee substitute when real coffee wasn't available during the war.
I liked the Camp coffee but detest 'instant' Nescafe and the like, got a jar of Douwe Egberts in my cupboard for visitors, it's about five years old. :)
me too thats why i want to use chicory in my flask. tea goes yuk after a while.

Mike, I have to say that it was sickeningly sweet without sugar, and to think I used to make with three spoons of sugar. How our tastes change.

Beverage vending machines seem to have improved - or better quality products used - these days. At one time the only only drinkable thing was hot chocolate, coffees and teas usually appalling.
However a cash & carry I visit has a vending machine and their offerings, in various types of coffee, are very good.

Mort,

Chicory as a salad is quite bitter, so I would think that it already had added sugar or sweetener straight out of the bottle.

Eric,

There's quite a difference between Nescafe and quality instants like Douwe Egberts. I'm intolerant of milk, so my coffee is always black. I have filter coffee when I am out and about and there is a big difference between the worst and the best of those. At home when I can't be bothered making proper coffee, I used 75% Lidl's best instant and 25% of Douwe Egbert instant Espresso. The Espresso makes it taste a bit more like decent coffee! To my mind, sticking milk in any beverage ruins it! :)

Maurice :)

a few years ago i asked for a latte. knowing nothing about coffee. well it arrived with my order i was gob smacked. it was thick black goo in a tiny cup. i left it on the table any idears what it was. i think we are going off thread adverts to yuk drinks

Pete,

Sounds more like Greek/Turkish coffee if it had a lot of sediment, or Espresso if it didn't. :)

Mike,

I was never into hot chocolate (or cocoa as we used to call it). My other half moans if they froth up the milk and proceeds to spoon all the froth into the saucer! :)

Maurice

a few years ago i asked for a latte. knowing nothing about coffee. well it arrived with my order i was gob smacked. it was thick black goo in a tiny cup. i left it on the table any idears what it was. i think we are going off thread adverts to yuk drinks
Latte should have milk - that is what the word means. Thick black is Turkish/Greek as Maurice said or espresso. Think they got the order wrong. Latte is actually espresso with milk addd.
Yes - we are now off thread.

Latte should have milk - that is what the word means. Thick black is Turkish/Greek as Maurice said or espresso. Think they got the order wrong. Latte is actually espresso with milk addd.
thanks for that. i never said any thing to the girl in mcdonalds who gave it me. now i know in future. sorry moderators
1547284460479.pngtry not to do it again

In America, McDonalds, I had a breakfast and asked for tea with it, they gave me a tall pint glass of cold black tea that was so sweet it was undrinkable.

In America, McDonalds, I had a breakfast and asked for tea with it, they gave me a tall pint glass of cold black tea that was so sweet it was undrinkable.
i have stopped using them now. wrong food. yuk drinks. i would sooner go to a greasy spoon. cafe lol

Can't really agree Steve I've always headed for them wherever I've been in the world and the products are consistently good.
Of course I wouldn't treat it as a daily diet as some do, nor would I do as the truck drivers do and live almost exclusively off greasy spoon food.
Ps. I quite like Subways.

Can't really agree Steve I've always headed for them wherever I've been in the world and the products are consistently good.
Of course I wouldn't treat it as a daily diet as some do, nor would I do as the truck drivers do and live almost exclusively off greasy spoon food.
Ps. I quite like Subways.
a good choke and puke

Attachments

• a long drink.jpg
    a long drink.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 18
I think it was a bit like Horlicks. A malt drink. They make it today as a chocolate flavoured malt drink. I assume you add hot milk.

I wouldn't exactly say I remember it but when I looked to see if they still made it I wasn't surprised to see it was a malt drink. Amazing what lurks at the back of one's memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back