• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

200 years of Nelson in the Bull Ring

great pics dave..pic one post 23 the man who bought the flat wreath is graham a friend of mine..he and his wife jo have been to quite a few of our meet ups and will be at the xmas one...love the youtubes as well..

lyn

Last week I went to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London. And I saw quite a few Nelson related objects. Such as the coat he wore when he died at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
Also saw a couple of portraits (one was at Queens House). And some models of Nelson's Column. I took photos of them but have not uploaded them yet.

In the meantime, enjoy my existing Nelson photos on my Flickr Horatio Nelson

Thanks for the photos posted already - really nice!

Here are a few of mine from Sunday - 2 from the Bull Ring and 3 of the various parties marching up to the cathedral for the salute.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 9
Just uploaded my Nelson's photos from the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. Here's some of them

Nelson's coat from the Battle of Trafalgar

Portrait of Vice-Admiral Nelson

Model of Nelson's Column used at London 2012 in Greenwich Park

Souvenir model of Nelson's Column dated 1844

Enjoying the photos of the great man everyone. In the 1856 biography of the philantropist George Mogridge ("His Life, Character and Writings" by Rev. Charles Williams) an account is recorded about Nelson's visit to Birmingham. There's a touching story of the effect the visit had on one man named Hewson. It starts :

"There was great excitement when "the hero of the Nile" ......... arrived on a visit to Birmingham" .........

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351937120.118341.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351937141.086252.jpg

Viv.

Great reading Viv, from a time when to be English, was to be among the greatest on earth, especially when led by hero's such as Nelson, now look what we have become, even unable to mention our heritage on offical forms.
paul

Hi Paul. You might also enjoy this account of Lord Nelson's visit to Birmingham ( I think in 1802). It's from "The life of the Right Honourable Horatio Lord Viscount Nelson" by Mr Harrison in 1806. What is interesting is how many places he and Lady Hamilton visited in their short time in Birmingham. They stayed at Styles's Hotel - think this would have been Temple Row - and they even visited Mr Boulton in his sickbed! Also interesting is the number of titles conferred on him on the front cover of Harrison's book. I think the description he gives of the visit clearly shows how respected Nelson was, almost to the point of frenzy. Lots of bell ringing and celebration. Must have been very exciting. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351964663.473379.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351964938.848113.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351964965.788722.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351964980.833386.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351965002.939953.jpg

Very interesting again Viv, how they dined, he must have put on a stone or two. I think you could be right about the "Styles's Hotel", I bet Mike Mikagee will know though.
paul

Birmingham made many items which were used in the Battle of Trafalgar. After the victory this medal was struck at Soho by Matthew Boulton. 14,001 of these unofficial medals were distributed to everyone who took part in the battle. All this was done at Boulton's own expense. A few more unofficial ones were also made and kept in the Boulton family, such as the one in the second and third photos. How beautiful they looked when new and how proud those receiving them must have felt. I do hope the medal for Hewson (post #33) reached his son and still remains in his family. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352027105.490820.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352027147.960552.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352027166.363120.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352027177.298634.jpg

This extract from Camden Pelham's "The Chronicles of Crime" (or New Newgate Chronicle) explains what happened to the original palisades which surrounded Nelson's monument in 1838. It also contains a drawing by Phiz of the 1838 Birmingham Riots. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352543705.994975.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352543724.079249.jpg

This is a 1960s/70s view of the pedestrian ramp near St. Martin's church. I remember this well, but I also thought that Nelson's Statue was also near to the ramp. Does anyone else remember it being near to the ramp? Or did I imagine it? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367057271.085749.jpg

If that is the ramp I think it is at the end of a line of shops above the open air market then yes Nelson was at the top of the ramp.

The ramp in the photo was the access to the upper entrance to the Bull Ring Centre. There was nothing up there but The Matador public house & the Witzy Do. Nelsons statue was moved in the 60's from the centre of the bull ring to its new resting place for around 40 years and that was on a raised platform at the other end of the open market where the main attraction was a child's carousel and not the Admiral.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Witzy Do 1962.jpg
    City Bull Ring Witzy Do 1962.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 68
  • City Bull Ring Shortly Before Demolition.JPG
    City Bull Ring Shortly Before Demolition.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 72
If that is the ramp I think it is at the end of a line of shops above the open air market then yes Nelson was at the top of the ramp.

Yes I'm sure that's it David. I'm now convinced I didn't imagine it. I distinctly remember coming out of the Bull Ring, then down the ramp and having a close, clear view of the statue.. The ramp was to the left of Woolworth's if looking at Woolworths from St. Martin's Church. If you entered the indoor Bull Ring via the ramp entrance there was a Green Shield shop on the right, just inside the entrance. Used to have lots of products in the window which you could get in exchange for a million (!) books of stamps. Viv.

Thanks David, that's definitely one of his spots, but like so many Birmingham statues he doesn't let the grass grow under his feet! I remember seeing him here too ....... Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367266005.770119.jpg

This is a 1960s/70s view of the pedestrian ramp near St. Martin's church. I remember this well, but I also thought that Nelson's Statue was also near to the ramp. Does anyone else remember it being near to the ramp? Or did I imagine it? Viv.

View attachment 86006

The bus in the background is still carrying the city crest so dating the photo to not after October 1969.

Simon

Thanks Simon. That's useful info as it helps to narrow down the time when Nelson's statue was near the ramp. Must have been for a relatively short time. Pretty sure it would have been before 1969. I'd say it was there in about 1964/5/6 perhaps. Viv.

Nelson on the morning of the battle of Trafalgar 21 October 1804 (although this painting was created by Charles Lucy in 1854). Looking at the items in the painting, I wonder which were made in Birmingham. Sword? Inkwell? Pen? Medals? Buttons? Buckles? ....... Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413888068.726041.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Such a great Englishman Viv, such a great shame that modern children are not taught about or past hero's, and statesmen and monarchs anymore. Paul

Agree Paul. Great man. Was wondering if Trafalgar Day has been observed at the statue today? I think the statue used to be decorated. Viv.

Agree Paul. Great man. Was wondering if Trafalgar Day has been observed at the statue today? I think the statue used to be decorated. Viv.

Trafalgar Day will be held on the 26th Oct 1020-1200, Wreath laying at 1120

Back