• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Martyn

GEC WITTON WORKS

Pathe list the location of this film of 'GEC Factory Buildings' as unknown but I think it is undoubtedly WItton: https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/101082/
  2. Martyn

Pele RIP

Front and back covers of the match programme ...
  3. Martyn

HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

This is a pic of Old Oak Common I took from the Grand Union last summer. The Elizabeth Line trains are lined up to the right but out of shot, if you look at Google maps they are visible.
  4. Martyn

Just to provide some balance to all this HS2 propaganda, here the same company is destroying a line of oak trees in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
  5. Martyn

Birmingham Cinemas

Can't have been the Arts Lab which was originally in a fairly grotty part of Newtown and then moved to Gosta Green.
  6. Martyn

Book about Birmingham

Richard Vinen was a guest on Start The Week (Radio 4) this morning contributing to a programme devoted to Birmingham. It's a good listen: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001byjc
  7. Martyn

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

I've noticed that having done their best to ignore the city since the demise of Pebble Mill, the BBC have shown a little more interest in the city recently i.e. the Back In Time series and there was a repeat of 'Birmingham Irish I Am' last night on BBC Four. Is this due to the publicity...
  8. Martyn

Are the HS2 propagandists who produce these films also celebrating HS2's destruction of or threat to 693 Classified Local Wildlife Sites, 33 Sites of Special Scientific Interest, 108 Ancient Woods and 18 Wildlife Trust Nature Reserves?
  9. Martyn

D.N.A. TESTING

In the words of the great Brummie Tony Hancock from 'The Blood Donor', my DNA test only confirmed that I was 'Anglo Saxon with perhaps a dash of Viking'. I only took it for fun but I was disappointed there were no other exotic connections.
  10. Martyn

Moving away but always a Brummie

I learnt today that this is called 'bidialectalism' i.e. using a different dialect depending on the context in which you find yourself.
  11. Martyn

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

What a admirable project, when I first saw this memorial I couldn't quite believe the number of casualties from Aston and the third soldier on your list epitomizes the senselessness of wars that are mostly the result of politicians' egos and their reckless ambitions: Percy Alcock, died on the...
  12. Martyn

Early Radio

Thanks Dave, I know that the person applying for the licence was an electrical engineer working for the GEC so perhaps had a personal and professional interest in the development of radio.
  13. Martyn

Early Radio

Here's a letter from the GPO in February 1923 authorising the installation of 'a station for receiving wireless signals for experimental purposes' at a house in The Broadway, Handsworth. There are several conditions of use including the external aerial 'shall not exceed 100 feet' and the...
  14. Martyn

If like me you live directly in HS2's path in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty you would want it to go through the longest possible tunnel.
  15. Martyn

Film cameras

Couldn't agree more, fortunately my secondary school had a Photography Society and darkroom, and the first time I saw an image appear in the developing tray I was hooked. Much later I used wartime blackout material inherited from my parents to create a darkroom in my spare bedroom. Digital...
  16. Martyn

Exchange Restaurant Stephenson Place

Terrific building, they don't make them like that anymore.
  17. Martyn

Catherine Street Mission Bible Class FC

A photograph of the Catherine Street Mission Bible Class Football Club in Aston taken for the 1911-12 season. My grandfather is on there, perhaps other members' relations are as well. From left to right the names are: E. Roberts, P. Berry, W. Ryder, Rev. M.O. Duke, A. Harris, Rev. R. B. Jolly...
  18. Martyn

Who Do You Think You Are

Although I've always enjoyed this series, I wish the BBC would widen the variety of people they choose to feature. I'm sure there are well known people from many other professions who have just as interesting back stories as the usual actors and actresses, including the obligatory one from...
  19. Martyn

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi Ian - in which section did your father work?
Back