• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go past the site of the old depot on the main line, all the buildings on the site have been demolished. The bit nearest the main line is being rebuilt as ??. A bit further off the main line there is a very large area of sidings filled with Elizabeth line trains, which I have never seen completely empty, in fact have never seen less than 50% full.

An article today from Ian Visits blog..

just another big pie in the sky idea running years beyond completion and the cost going up in vast amounts..and all very well for those who do not have to suffer the disruption

Very interesting. But I'm not quite clear what advantages it offers considering what must be an enormous extra cost.

Yes I agree, I've seen a 3D printer in action, it was constructing a small model of a much larger sculpture - they are amazing things but the process building up the layers was taking a long, long time!
I guess the larger printers are much quicker, to be fair.

I think this is quite interesting. You are able to 3D print complex concrete components without formwork. I can see the possibility where the component if designed in CAD software and the instructions for printing can be imported directly into the printer without another engineers designing formwork that will, in complex components be thrown away once the formwork is struck.

I also like he idea of reducing manual handling, a big cause of occupational health problems along with fall and trips.

We mush of course bear in mind that this is a proof of concept, and we know how people can be sold on the idea of technological solutions that can end up saving nothing. Look at Brunel’s atmospheric railway.

Old Oak Common to Birmingham it is, Minister confirms.
'Parts of the HS2 line between Birmingham, Crewe and Manchester will be “rephased” by two years, meaning the line to Crewe may not be open until 2036, and Manchester not until 2043.'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ayed-two-years-cut-soaring-costs-rail-project
As has been pointed out earlier today, delaying and cutting back the progress of HS2 is not saving money, it is eventually going to cost considerably more than the inflated value of the £ by then.

so i take it the birmingham station will not be open by 2026 as originally planned..ive just gone back on the notes i took when i attended the early HS2 meetings in a wasted attempt to save the fox and grapes pub

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back