• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GEC WITTON WORKS

Wonderful memories Trevor. Certainly a different world. My Aunt worked at the GEC and it seems it was a very special place in many ways. I have a Witton News dated 1966, which was an in house magazine for the GEC. If anyone would like it they are more than welcome.

Yes, it was a different world and all those great industries and their factories have gone forever. The Lucas factory in Great King St - I was born a stone's throw away from it in 1946 - GEC at Wittton, GKN, Kynoch, the giant Austin/BMC/Rover site at Longbridge, IMI, the BSA, the breweries of M & B, Ansells, and Davenports, Typhoo Tea, the HP sauce factory, and lots more that were part of the fabric of Brum. We were known as the city of a 1000 trades, but I think that title has long since faded away.

Hi
I’ve acquired this magazine, Witton News, the in house magazine of the GEC. Lots of articles and mentions of people that I’m sure would be very interesting to ex workers. If anyone would like me to send it to them, just PM me...free to a good home!
lynn.

Attachments

• 36BB8CD6-04FF-4C71-8C01-9E3BA8A02017.jpeg
    36BB8CD6-04FF-4C71-8C01-9E3BA8A02017.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2185890A-9748-4928-87D8-0ADC48072288.jpeg
    2185890A-9748-4928-87D8-0ADC48072288.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 22
Yes, it was a different world and all those great industries and their factories have gone forever. The Lucas factory in Great King St - I was born a stone's throw away from it in 1946 - GEC at Wittton, GKN, Kynoch, the giant Austin/BMC/Rover site at Longbridge, IMI, the BSA, the breweries of M & B, Ansells, and Davenports, Typhoo Tea, the HP sauce factory, and lots more that were part of the fabric of Brum. We were known as the city of a 1000 trades, but I think that title has long since faded away.
Trevor, that is a wonderful summary of our Great old city!

Hi
I’ve acquired this magazine, Witton News, the in house magazine of the GEC. Lots of articles and mentions of people that I’m sure would be very interesting to ex workers. If anyone would like me to send it to them, just PM me...free to a good home!
lynn.
Hi my name is Ian freeman, my father worked at the G.E.C. from 1947 till the 60s, and we lived nearby. I have a march 1966 Witton news, which I am going to scan and put on this site and the Aston/Witton / Birmingham history facebook sites to see if anybody recognises the various names, I would be happy to do the same with your September 1966 copy if you would let me, please email/message me to let me know what you think. Many thanks Ian Freeman.

Hi my name is Ian freeman, my father worked at the G.E.C. from 1947 till the 60s, and we lived nearby. I have a march 1966 Witton news, which I am going to scan and put on this site and the Aston/Witton / Birmingham history facebook sites to see if anybody recognises the various names, I would be happy to do the same with your September 1966 copy if you would let me, please email/message me to let me know what you think. Many thanks Ian Freeman.
Sorry correction my copy is March 1961.

My father, Jim Egan, worked at GEC witton from 1938 to 1974 (including army service WW2. I still have the engraved Smiths watch he was presented with for 21 years service in 1959.
I remember when he worked as a maintenance charge hand in the battery box shop. He would come home filthy from the black dust.
Eventually he was put on the staff as a foreman in the injection shop and finally, the compression moulding shop.
I worked there for a while in the early 1970's. First in the tool room with Keith Plumbe, under Douglas Tonks, and Alan Dolman. Then I joined the maintenance gang in the injection shop under Fred Coxon.
Some old names from the injection shop maintenance crew I recall was
Bob Lloyd, Jimmie Kelly, Dave Terry,
Jim Timperley (electrician). Tommy Watt, and many more.
Dennis Hill (from the switch works), Billy Dix, Fred Goring.
I was 16-18 years old back then. I'm 66 now and well and truly retired but it seems like yesterday.
My mom Dora, and dad met there in 1938, and they had many stories of their times at GEC.
During the late 50's early 1960's I remember the fantastic GEC Christmas childrens parties held in the magnet club.
Loads of food, stage acts including the first band I ever saw with electric guitars. It was fantastic.
The parties always ended with the compare Douglas Tonks, dressed as a clown, he would say.
"I was walking along Electric Avenue today when a man with a big white beard and a red suit, stopped his sleigh and reindeer and asked me the way here. Who do you think it was?"¥
All the kids would Roar, FATHER CHRISTMAS! and he would appear from the side of the stage.
We were called into an orderly queue starting with the call for "All the little girls aged 5" followed by the boys and so on up to about 10 I think.
Parents were waiting at the back and once you were given your present you were collected by Mom or dad.
The kids would be tearing open the presents and paper was everywhere., along with the odd puddle of sick where some over excited kid had exploded jelly and cake all over the place.
The whole thing must have cost a small fortune but they were great Saturday afternoons just before Christmas.
When we came out it was dark and foggy as we stumbled along to the bus home.

Great story, one that I can recall to, but not in that much detail. I do recall they had a Punch and Judy show as part of the entertainment.

My dad worked there from the early 1960's as an apprentice (not on that particular site) until 1990 with Elliots (later bought by GEC, then became Fisher Controls, then Bestobell).

Does anybody remember GEC Gas Turbines Electric Avenue, Aston. ?? I was a Coded Pipe Welding apprentice1970 TO 1976
there was also another Coded Welder apprentice called CLEM West Indian anybody remember him ,very good Stainless Steel Welder.

I used to play rugby against the GEC Witton club and we used the 'Magnet Club' afterwards for refreshments (boozing !). I played in the last game ever which was I think was April 1983, and then GEC closed so it was goodbye rugby and the Magnet club. 'GEC Witton' rugby club later merged with the 'Old Centrals' rugby club to become 'Aldridge RFC' and they play at Little Hardwick Lane, Streetly.

Has anybody got any information about the where abouts of Reg Marlow Turbo Dept I believe he moved to Lincolnshire some years ago
Hello Ray i posted a few years ago, page 22, just picked your post up about Reg Marlow, i know he died quite a few years ago, don,t know exactly when but it is a least 25 years ago. He died very young. as for moving to lincolnshire i don,t know. He lived in the Kingstanding area around Dyass Road. Hope this post finds you well. Ray Cope.
Has anybody got any information about the where abouts of Reg Marlow Turbo Dept I believe he moved to Lincolnshire some years ago

Hi Everyone,
Spent ages reading through old posts on here - fascinating. I was at Witton 1960-1967 as DO apprentice and ended up in Switchgear 2DO Annexe. Anyone on here worked in 2DO Annexe or 2DO/ 3DO ? I remember too many names to list but I was on George Gittings section to begin with then Les Hammeron's later on.

Alan Marriott

Hi my nan Jessie Ainsworth worked there in the 50,s early sixties but don't know when she left or what dept she was in

GEC was my first job when I left school in 1944 and worked in the drawing office but it was causing eye strain and left the following year the month the war ended. Eric

Hi Everyone,
Spent ages reading through old posts on here - fascinating. I was at Witton 1960-1967 as DO apprentice and ended up in Switchgear 2DO Annexe. Anyone on here worked in 2DO Annexe or 2DO/ 3DO ? I remember too many names to list but I was on George Gittings section to begin with then Les Hammeron's later on.

Alan Marriott
Hello Alan. Your name seems familiar. I was at Witton from 1957 until 1969. I worked in 2DO under Bill Hawkes. Also worked in 2DO annex as an Electrical Engineer before moving back into 2DO as a Section Leader when Bill Killick retired..

Hello Ray i posted a few years ago, page 22, just picked your post up about Reg Marlow, i know he died quite a few years ago, don,t know exactly when but it is a least 25 years ago. He died very young. as for moving to lincolnshire i don,t know. He lived in the Kingstanding area around Dyass Road. Hope this post finds you well. Ray Cope.
No he isn't

GEC was my first job when I left school in 1944 and worked in the drawing office but it was causing eye strain and left the following year the month the war ended. Eric
Eric, my uncle Len Barr, worked in the drawing office about the time you were there., wonder if you knew him ??..Brenda.
wonder

Hello Will, post 534, so glad to here that, and you have confirmed the news about Reg. I worked with Reg at Parsons Peebles, (GEC) and we went working away at a few Power stations in the early 70s. I honestly cannot remember when I heard the news about him, (obviously wrong) It was such a long time ago. Just give him my regards if you would please, and I am sorry if my post had upset anyone. Ray Cope.

Must be a bit slow on the uptake as only just come across this site about the GEC. I, [ Neville Johnson], worked there for about four years until the middle of 1958 in the test room of Small Motors. Due to age can't remember many names apart from Bob ? the foreman and Herman Herman a labourer who came from the West Indies. We tested all kinds of small motors, from stuff for the Navy to motors for Dodgem cars, and a lot for one of the well known fridge makers, whose name escapes me.
After we were married and moved back to Birmingham in 1966, my wife, June Johnson, also got a job there in the Expelair side, working there until having our first child in 1968. Great times for both of us

Good morning, my dad worked at Witton works from 1938 to 1959, I have his watch for those dates but he was there longer. Unfortunately I lost my dad some years ago so I can't ask him questions I'd love to. I know it's a long shot but does anyone remember Edwin Dyke who lived in Rupert St. Nechells around that time. And what did they manufacture around that time. He was a toolmaker and I assume that's why he didn't do any service until 1946. Just trying to fill gaps in my knowledge. Thanks if anyone can help

Must be a bit slow on the uptake as only just come across this site about the GEC. I, [ Neville Johnson], worked there for about four years until the middle of 1958 in the test room of Small Motors. Due to age can't remember many names apart from Bob ? the foreman and Herman Herman a labourer who came from the West Indies. We tested all kinds of small motors, from stuff for the Navy to motors for Dodgem cars, and a lot for one of the well known fridge makers, whose name escapes me.
After we were married and moved back to Birmingham in 1966, my wife, June Johnson, also got a job there in the Expelair side, working there until having our first child in 1968. Great times for both of us
Hi John I worked in SM 1955 as an apprentice with Ralph Kay one of the companies we used to do a lot of work for was Hobart motors for bacon machines and other food processing machines used be called the 500 and 8140 induction AC motors. Ralph was a fun guy always playing somebody up. I remember a Lil and Janet who used to work on the winding bay.

Good morning, my dad worked at Witton works from 1938 to 1959, I have his watch for those dates but he was there longer. Unfortunately I lost my dad some years ago so I can't ask him questions I'd love to. I know it's a long shot but does anyone remember Edwin Dyke who lived in Rupert St. Nechells around that time. And what did they manufacture around that time. He was a toolmaker and I assume that's why he didn't do any service until 1946. Just trying to fill gaps in my knowledge. Thanks if anyone can help
welcome to the forum lynda...i hope some members can help you as it can be difficult to fill in gaps

lyn

Back