• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

Shaw Taylor RIP

Via my connections with people cinema/TV history wise, have learned today of the passing of Shaw Taylor, today Wednesday 18 March. Not much time to comment this late at night but give BHF members the chance to view today's internet version of the Isle of Wight News, the region where Shaw Taylor...
  2. R

Harborne Railway

Our friends on the railway remembrance site disusedstations have today produced a feature no less equal to their immaculate usual standards https://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/harborne/index.shtml Hope it gets everyone's approval Richie
  3. R

Geoffrey Wheeler RIP

Many out there would wish to be informed that the consumate BBC announcer and presenter Geoffrey Wheeler has died. What a voice and what a memory of the 1960shttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25560734
  4. R

Mike of Mike and Bernie Winters.

Quite obscurely reported in the media today so far, another TV star of bygone years now departed https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/aug/26/mike-winters
  5. R

Jean Morton

Many of us who remember television broadcasts from way back with fondness, will be saddened to know that the Express and Star in Wolverhampton is reporting this lunchtime that dear Jean Morton passed away today, aged 91 years...
  6. R

Explorer Update nightmare.

Sorry I've not been able to participate with postings for some weeks now, on my home computer (a 2003 Toshiba laptop with Windows XP Home) I can't get any further than IE6 ever. I always get the message SHRGetValue and SHLAWPI.dll not found. Please don't tell me I need a new PC-out of the...
  7. R

Villa Cross Cinema

Courtesy of the CinemaTreasures website, a brand new photograph of the Villa Cross cinema has appeared this past weekend. Correctly dated 1943 or soon after. https://cinematreasures.org/photos/18370
  8. R

Where is This? #189

Another public house in the Birmingham area but which one and where? In case that question is too easy here's the next part-what's going on and why? Too be fair to all BHF members who may be away today or tomorrow, i'll look in on the posting from time to time, but won't give the answer away...
  9. R

New TV memories site

The Daily Telegraph just recently has reported a new TV channel/website designed for the over 50s. Here are the details www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7854361/Coming-soon-music-television-for-the-over-50s.htm If that link is no good, try typing in VintageTV on the home page search box there.
  10. R

Help with Modem please.

I'm having to use an external modem with a USB port nowadays with my Toshiba lap-top owing to the prongs for the inbuilt phone connection becoming ragged. (Out of warranty now). Dialling out impossible as we speak; with the modem you can hear the low-note echo, but the high-notes go dead on me...
  11. R

Where is this 14?

Last of my 1952/2002 comparisons, except I don't have a 2002 futuristic design from 1952 to compare it with. So it will just have to be a Where Is This? quiz, but owing to the fact that I've lost count where we are up to in the numbers AND.....since people start new ones off before the previous...
  12. R

Parisian Club Cannon Street

Have come across a photo of this over here. 1970's?? Maybe someone has information out there? Richie.
  13. R

When (and where) was this.....to be?

As a companion to my other thread "When was this?" which is still to continue despite having shot it in the foot by giving the dates away to Alf in advance (LOL), I thought I'd introduce a selection of photos both from the web and from hardback discoveries that depict locations in Birmingham and...
  14. R

Flicks of the 50's,60's and 70's

If you had been going to the cinema in Birmingham in each of those three decades this very week, you would have almost certainly be seeing one of these..... Dare i say I didn't think it worth mentioning the 80's and 90's?:010:
  15. R

Great Western Arcade

Edit. A link to the North Western Arcade is here. Viv. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/north-western-arcade-windsor-arcade.48329/ Edit. A link to City Arcade is here. Vv...
  16. R

Films About The Bull Ring

Bull Ring on Film! i take it we all know about the regular feature the Evening Mail is doing on its website about the history of the Bull Ring? And the videos on-line? 4 of 'em?? The link is a million miles long so this is how you do it: www.birminghammail.net Go to the "Video and Pics"...
  17. R

Taurus and Toreador bar.

Anyone have any details regarding the said hostelry?:) A photo would be very nice;) Thanks.
  18. R

Is anyone around?

I don't know how the day will pan out later on but i may be in the Birmingham Central Library Archives later today Thursday 20th March bewtween,say, 1 and 3 pm. Just in case anyone else is that way and wants to say hello. Black everything except shirt due to an office meeting earlier on-so I'll...
Back