• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This? #189

Richie

Mr.Respectable
Another public house in the Birmingham area but which one and where?

In case that question is too easy here's the next part-what's going on and why?

Too be fair to all BHF members who may be away today or tomorrow, i'll look in on the posting from time to time, but won't give the answer away until 9 a.m Monday 14th.

(Also, the watermark left on for copyright reasons, although the posting is of educational value. But NO going through the whole website where its from-that's cheating!!)

Attachments

• Sheldon Waggon and Horses 1937.jpg
    Sheldon Waggon and Horses 1937.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 3
I think I know this pub but cannot remember it,s name is it on the old Alcester Rd at Wythall.Dek

Is it the Packhorse??

Hi All,

I would bet a fiver that it is the Rose and Crown at the Lickey Hills. As for what is going on it looks like a gathering of veteran cars possibly celebrating something to do with Austin motors which was nearby..

Old Boy

Its the Waggon & Horses Sheldon If I remember correctly one of the gaffers there was a collector of vintage vehicles (before my time)

Phil

Here is the man himself Douglas Copely showing off his 1898 Daimler outside the pub, which at one time also sold petrol from pumps outside the pub.

Phil

SheldonManagerofWagonHorsesDouglasCopleyinhis1898Daimlerc1930awellknownlocalcharacter.jpg

The Coach & Horses pub later name changed to the Wagon & Horses on the old Coventry Rd (A45) away from the City, Mr.Copley had shares in R.O.Petrol in later years he moved down the road to a new purpose built pub including petrol pumps, i think it was the only pub which sold petrol!, as kids me and brother had pop & crisps there before WW2. Len.

Last edited:
No 189 Revelation

No need to go right up to the 9.am deadline as it appears everyone is a winner with this one.

Yes, its Mr. Douglas Copley of the Waggon and Horses on Coventry Road, Sheldon. The date is January 1937 if one is to believe the description. Allegedly the vehicle in question is the very first horseless carriage to have been built in Birmingham ("Waggon and Horses" theme you see). Actually why Mr. Copley is appearing thus is unclear; maybe he was preparing for some kind of display with the vehicle and was therefore learning all the manouevres necessary for handling it proficiently amongst other road users?

I can vaguely remember reading something a while ago about the landlord of a Coventry Rd public house burying his veteran car on the premises as a protest about...tax rises against motoring perhaps? I'm sure it was dug up again soon after, when the press had gone. This was in the late 30s I think.
Perhaps it was this car?

Back