• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parisian Club Cannon Street

Richie

Mr.Respectable
Have come across a photo of this over here. 1970's??

Maybe someone has information out there?

Richie.

Yep, I remember it well, it was up one of those side Streets on New Street, maybe Needless Alley.

But it was just a pub that had a DJ, not a NightClub you had to leave at 10:30 like all Brum pubs back then!

Thanks for that. Is there a decade or a sample year to slot it into a Birmingham timeline maybe?

Richie.

i remember the parisian..been there a few times....i just cant remember what side st it was down....help

lyn:):)

I went to the Parisian like coldbath kid says it was a pub with a DJ. People went there before they hit the nightclubs.:)

There was another pub that was there in Town during the early 70's called the Parasol, but I cannot remember where that one was, Bogarts was a smashing pub with scaffolding as Decor at the top of New Street,

The thing with pubs in Town in those days was they kicked you out at 10:30 and only sold Ansells or M&B , it is a wonder we put up with it!

There was another pub that was there in Town during the early 70's called the Parasol, but I cannot remember where that one was, Bogarts was a smashing pub with scaffolding as Decor at the top of New Street,

The thing with pubs in Town in those days was they kicked you out at 10:30 and only sold Ansells or M&B , it is a wonder we put up with it!

I'm sure that The Parasol was on the corner of Hill St. and John Bright St. Did it turn into Sam Weller's or was that another pub next door?

I think I spent virtually every night of the early/mid seventies in Bogarts.

Yes the Parisian in Cannon street.Spent some happy hours in there:)
Thats where I saw your navy blues Lyn. You used to stand at the banister upstairs and I was down stairs looking up with all the other lads:rolleyes::D

i used to go to the parisian in my lunch hour, and i remember it had a balcony, we also used to go to the fillibuster(not sure of the spelling) does anyone remember it ?

no froth you got that wrong.....i always sat downstairs looking up at yours....:D:D:D

maur..frothy will remember the filli...he knows them all....:D:D:Dyes i remember it well....

lyn

The Fillibuster was the pub that was on the corner opposite the Snow Hill car park (The Royal Angus Hotel was just around the corner from it). It changed its name to The West End Bar and was closed down by the police in December 2000. On the same side, if you walked up towards Lloyd House, there was a pub there called UB's, owned by members of UB40. It was a pub before they owned it, anyone remember what it was called?

The Fillibuster was the pub that was on the corner opposite the Snow Hill car park (The Royal Angus Hotel was just around the corner from it). It changed its name to The West End Bar and was closed down by the police in December 2000. On the same side, if you walked up towards Lloyd House, there was a pub there called UB's, owned by members of UB40. It was a pub before they owned it, anyone remember what it was called?

Cheers barr beacon. I knew in my own mind it was there but wasn't sure. It's been a long time:rolleyes:

barr beacon...i cant remember the name of the other pub you mention...i used that one a lot...most annoying...it will come to me....

lyn:)

I remember a few nights in the Parisian and there was Cagney's next door where I remember seeing Phil Upton DJ from BRMB or now BBC playing there, late 80's??

I'd forgotten all about the Parisian! Yes I'm sure you're right - it was off the "up" side of New Street, maybe on or near a corner, one of the lower-down side streets? I went there in 1975 - 76 a few times. If you were going to a gig in the city centre (at the Odeon New St, say) it was one of the places you might meet beforehand : the Midland Hotel being another.

Indeed it was "Fannys" Lyn, It only had a six day licence. We used to have one in there as we got off the bus, and then down to the "Fillibuster", which was run by Chris Callaghan ex Lozells man (i think!) Previous to that he had run "The Longboat, shortly before it sank! lol Tom

ahh tom..so my memory is not as bad as i thought:D:D i wonder if we both went there round about the same time....i also used the fili and the longboat...round about 69 i think...

lyn...:):)

71/72 for me Lyn, I was only 16 in 1969, and never drank in a pub until i was 18, apart from the time i was caught in the "Toreador" by some off duty coppers, gave them false name and address, and fled home petrified Tom

lol tom..thinking again it would have been 71 that i used those pubs...cant count tonight.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..in 69 i would also have only been 16....happy days...

lyn

The Parisien changed to Le Pub at some time in the 80,s..remember, the inside of the parisien was a two floored affair, with the upper floor being a round galleried style arena in order to gawp over the edge and spot someone that you wanted to go and chat to.

Have come across a photo of this over here. 1970's??

Maybe someone has information out there?

Richie.
pub was actualy in cannon st just off new street it was originaly the the print works for birmingham even mail it closed down as a pub in the late 80s had many great nights there drinking and working there as a barman and doorman ( any one remember having to wait in line ) if you were a regular do you remember the bloke who looked like the "beegees"

pub was actualy in cannon st just off new street it was originaly the the print works for birmingham even mail it closed down as a pub in the late 80s had many great nights there drinking and working there as a barman and doorman ( any one remember having to wait in line ) if you were a regular do you remember the bloke who looked like the "beegees"

There was a couple of them who just like the Bee Gees were brothers.I think one of their names was Len(the brummie version not the pop stars:))

The parisian was in cannon st more or less opposite the windsor pub, it was not a night club more of a warm up before the clubs. there was a ground floor and above a balcony that was circular and from up there you could see the whole pub. It was never a good idea to drink below as you ran the risk of being showered in beer which would have soaked your flares, tank top and platforms! Some of you may wonder at this last sentence but i thought i was tasty at the time!!

Back