• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with Modem please.

Richie

Mr.Respectable
I'm having to use an external modem with a USB port nowadays with my Toshiba lap-top owing to the prongs for the inbuilt phone connection becoming ragged. (Out of warranty now).

Dialling out impossible as we speak; with the modem you can hear the low-note echo, but the high-notes go dead on me and the connexion fails.:(

Have tried every speed on the USB port entry but no different, my computer tells me the modem and its driver are wired up correctly...

The modem is a Diamond 56K Supramax if that will help anyone..?

Richie.

Hi Richie,
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the modem, rebooting between the two processes?

Just did some further Googling on this and it seems there are problem with that particular modem working with Windows XP. If that's the operating system on your laptop it migh be worth visiting the manufacturer's site to see if there is a driver you can download. Have a look here: https://www.diamondmm.com/SM56E.php
Good luck.

Yes it is Windows XP (the standard version) I've been using Windows XP Professional on previous occasions and have got away with a successful connection on those occasions.

I'll look at that link when i can; and if in the meantime anyone can have a brainwave......;)

But have you connected successfully using that modem on that laptop before?

If yes - and this is a shot in the dark - it might be worth trying it again with any firewall you have disabled.

Yes I've run it using both systems, only that XP Standard ran better for everything else all round.
Ummm, "firewalls"....gonna have to work out what they are:rolleyes:

Just a thought, but have you disabled the internal modem on the laptop?, maybe it is that one you can hear and not the external one. One other thing is make sure it is on a straight out phone connection and not through any "Micro Filters" the kind used for ADSL broadband. Only other thing apart from drivers is make sure user name and password are correct.

This is still a catastrophe after 3 weeks now:biggrin:

Maybe if I increase the input speed to 5 mph it might help?

Hi, Richie,
When you say the 'prongs' for the inbuilt phone connection have become 'ragged' how bad are they. There are only 2 prongs, have they completely broken? If not, perhaps you could clean them with a cotton bud. Have you tried a different phone cable, perhaps using a small screwdriver to move it's connectors down a bit to ensure they are connecting with the laptop 'prongs'
If the internal modem is definitely not usable, have you ticked 'disable' for it in the device manager, as Dave previously suggested. If you didn't, the laptop could be looking at two modems and might be confused.
With ref to the USB modem did you try completely uninstalling and then reinstalling following the installation instructions which came with the modem. It could be a faulty USB modem, can you try it in someone else's laptop or computer? Most dial-up modems are 'plug and play'
A Firewall comes with windows, it is usually on, but you can check it in the Control Panel.
Sorry for the long answer but I'm making a few assumptions here.:)

Hi, Richie,
When you say the 'prongs' for the inbuilt phone connection have become 'ragged' how bad are they. There are only 2 prongs, have they completely broken? If not, perhaps you could clean them with a cotton bud. Have you tried a different phone cable, perhaps using a small screwdriver to move it's connectors down a bit to ensure they are connecting with the laptop 'prongs'
If the internal modem is definitely not usable, have you ticked 'disable' for it in the device manager, as Dave previously suggested. If you didn't, the laptop could be looking at two modems and might be confused.
With ref to the USB modem did you try completely uninstalling and then reinstalling following the installation instructions which came with the modem. It could be a faulty USB modem, can you try it in someone else's laptop or computer? Most dial-up modems are 'plug and play'
A Firewall comes with windows, it is usually on, but you can check it in the Control Panel.
Sorry for the long answer but I'm making a few assumptions here.:)

Thanks for your assistance. I'll go through each of those theories one by one over the weekend. The external modem is connected via a special USB port lead.

Just to keep everyone up to speed regarding the epic since August with my home laptop: I've since changed to go on broadband but the disc that Orange sent me with the gadgets leave me stranded frequently. :(Am i right that I have to wait 10 days after making a connection before Orange at the other end supply the actual service?

BT sent me a router, which I took off the person who delivered it, I connected it to the telephone socket, etc, and wire connected my computer to the router, and 5 mins later Broadband was working. BT had said that it might take 24 hours before I would be on. If I were you, I'd phone Orange and tell them you want service within next 24 hrs. Just a question what did you use to post your message ?....:)

Never dealt with Orange but BT tell you the day when the Broadband will be activated. Then they suggest so long before the broadband speeds are checked.

I'm calling into internet cafes throughout the week nowadays:)
Hi, Richie,
ISP's usually send you an 'activation' date, and if its 10 days away tell them that is unacceptable, and you want activation within 24 hours. My son had a mobile phone on monthly contract with them, and when he said he was going to leave, they immediately halved the monthly charge !
Hopefully someone on the forum who is with Orange can give you advice about their dealings with Orange, particularly when you start paying for 'broadband' - is it from 'activation' or the date when you ordered it.:)

Thanks for that Mohawk. The cost is no different from the dial-up with them i have been on until just recently-all they do (the most recent direct debit was 10 days ago) is just keep on taking the money out of my bank as usual.

Maybe it is something I've not done in the right order, but the disc they send leaves you up in the air between every stage so I could be anywhere in the process!

The helplines these various services provide can be very expensive just in order to listen to pop music so i might be prepared to wait for the "10 ten day testing period" to elapse before I get onto them again to make my queries! As it is the parcel service they use left it with a neighbour without telling me it had been delivered elsewhere, so I'm starting to get economical:stare:

Richie
Have you a mobile with orange ? If you have you can ring 150 on it for free and they will answer any queries on it including broadband ones. there technical people seem very good , and they do speak english (well Tynesidian, which i find a very pleasant accent) and therefore can understand what you are saying.
mike

If they have a ten day testing period it starts from when the service goes live and you are using it I believe. Mike makes a very good point.

Hi Richie, you seem very 'easy going' with Orange....:) your experiences with them don't sound good to me. When I had 'dial up' with BT, I only paid for the minutes I was on, and each time I connected it was shown on my telephone bill. When I changed to a 1 year Broadband contract they sent me the router, cables, and the CD disk. I didn't want the stuff on the disk, and just plugged the Homehub (router) in and away I went. I did set up the security on it myself....:)

Woohoo everyone! I spent some serious money trying to get the Orange helpline last night-and someone answered my call after only 15 minutes of Kylie Minogue:D

But I'm now connected-at last! Thanks to everyone concerned.

Richie.

(But it means my boss won't accept my excuse in future that I didn't hear the phone at home because I was on my computer:biggrin:)

Back