• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this 14?

Richie

Mr.Respectable
Last of my 1952/2002 comparisons, except I don't have a 2002 futuristic design from 1952 to compare it with. So it will just have to be a Where Is This? quiz, but owing to the fact that I've lost count where we are up to in the numbers AND.....since people start new ones off before the previous one is answered, this will have to be a place AND number competition! LOL

By the way Lyn, its in Birmingham which is my secret clue for you!

Here it is....

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Mermaid Stratford Rd  (2).jpg
    Sparkbrook Mermaid Stratford Rd (2).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
lol richie...most kind of you im sure but im still none the wiser...i shall go and zoom in and see if you have left me any better clues....

lyn

ps for now i will agree with mike and jean...lol

yep...i can see it says the mermaid so i will now agree with maggie..lol

lyn

I'll leave it open until midday tomorrow Tuesday to give all forumers on the site a chance.

Richie.

Its thr Mermaid Jean spent a lovely New Years Eve with a friend and his wife 1960

and the road still looked like that Richie

You've all got there before me! Yes, Stratford Road / Warwick Road junction, the Mermaid pub in the background. More recently that pub was renamed the President, but damaged by fire c2007. Haven't been past recently, don't know if its still there.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Stratford Rd the Mermaid.jpg
    Sparkbrook Stratford Rd the Mermaid.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Gone 12 midday on Tuesday so I can confirm this is where everyone says it is-the Mermaid (as it was) at the junction of Stratford and Warwick Road in 1952. Its the last of my 1952/2002 comparisons but with with my next quiz-whenever-I've got a fiendish topic in mind with them!

Maybe Alf-or anyone will know-would the then ABC Sparkbrook (formerly Piccadilly cinema) be just out of view on the immediate left? In which case no photos of it in those days I imagine?

Richie.

Richie

I'm not sure of the date of these photos of the Piccadilly I think the first photo is a little earlier than the 50's but not much though. The second one when it showed Asian films might tie in with 2002 though.

Phil

Attachments

• Sparkbrook PICCADILLY Cinema .jpg
    Sparkbrook PICCADILLY Cinema .jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Sparkbrook Piccadilly.jpg
    Sparkbrook Piccadilly.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2
Richie

I'm not sure of the date of these photos of the Piccadilly I think the first photo is a little earlier than the 50's but not much though. The second one when it showed Asian films might tie in with 2002 though.

Phil

That's great Phil. Thanks.

Back