• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Morturn

The Hurricane

The Imperial War Museum has produced a super film all about the Hurricane. I know there has been an ongoing debate about the virtues of both the Spitfire and the Hurricane, I think this film is a well-balanced view. I am fortunate in that I worked with a WWII Hurricane pilot. He was engaged in...
  2. Morturn

What Happened to Disabled First World War Veterans

There a nice blog post on the Historic England website entitled: What Happened to Disabled First World War Veterans. Well worth a look at Click here to find out more.
  3. Morturn

Member Question - Why I am the only member, on line with (NO appreciate) tag on my site?

Can anyone offer help or advice to our member Paul Stacey regarding the forum? Paul is saying “Could I ask the "Administrators", why I am the only member, online with (NO appreciate) tag on my site?” I assumed it maybe his computer or browser settings because he has had over 500 appreciates...
  4. Morturn

History West Midlands Podcast - Cholera and clean water in the Black Country

How Victorian engineers of South Staffordshire Waterworks brought clean water from Lichfield to the Black Country to eliminate the scourge of cholera which was killing up to 20% of the population. Cholera and clean water in the Black Country
  5. Morturn

Seven Unusual or Lost Occupations from History

A super article from the British Newspaper Archive exploring Seven Unusual or Lost Occupations from History.
  6. Morturn

Erdington Market Closing Down.

Erdington Market, or Old Erdington Market to define it from the newer Wilton Market is closing its doors for the final time on 30 April 2022. I grew up in Erdington and have some very fond memories of the market, my mom was a regular visitor. I recall that up until the mid-70’s it was a vibrant...
  7. Morturn

The experience of children in Britain

A really super article about the experience of children in Britain well worth a look.
  8. Morturn

Some more of Bob Moore's photos of Brum's inner city from the mid '60s to the mid '70s.

I could just not resist this is a super set of photos posted on Face Book by Angel Archer on the Old Pics of Brum page. The narrative is refreshing and perfectly reflects the curse of the rose-tinted spectacles of a golden age that never was. Living and working in conditions like this was not a...
  9. Morturn

Schools, Colleges and University’s – Please read before posting

We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history. A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly...
  10. Morturn

The story of the Cholera Pandemic

This is an absolutely fascinating story of the Cholera pandemic and how it was bought to an end https://www.creativeblackcountry.co.uk/blog/2020/10/4/bostin-news-rising-from-a-pandemic-by-al-barz
  11. Morturn

Catchem Gate later Aston Cross

Has anyone heard of a Catchem Gate? Apparently Cathem's End was on old name for Aston Cross because of the Catcem Gates. One of the barred the entrance to Turnpike Lane, now Park Lane and the other barred the road to Lichfield. The photo shows the catchem gate across Park Lane, at the time when...
  12. Morturn

A Postcard From The Past - Warstone And Key Hill Cemeteries’

I spent a couple of hours filming in Warstone Lane and Key Hill Cemetery today. Cemeteries’ always have this magnetic pull with me....
  13. Morturn

Email Scams

The scammers are working overtime over Christmas, and getting more sophisticated. This email contains a piece of malware, neatly packaged to deliver to you a Christmas you will remember. Be careful, and don’t open attachments from people you do not know. I spotted this one because of just that.
  14. Morturn

The Sign Service, Erdington Painted Sign At Risk

The signwriting company ‘The Sign Service was established in 1948 and is one of the oldest sign manufacturers in the Midlands. The “Man up the Ladder” logo is a local landmark and has been on the side wall of their building for over 60 years. The sign is unusual as it is a hand painted...
  15. Morturn

HS2 Railway

To me HS2 is more of a vanity project, than a practical solution to the overcrowded roads and rail network. Most certainly the cost of traveling to London will be quite expensive, which you may say, its ok I can still use the slower train. However, invariably there will be a pull up effect on...
  16. Morturn

Reverse Image Searching

This could be an incredibly useful tool to find the origins, location or history of an image; it’s called Google Reverse Image Searching. Instead of typing in words in the search engine box, you select a photo from your computer and – much in the same way as traditional word Internet searches...
  17. Morturn

Jewellery Quarter Made In Birmingham Film

Made in Birmingham - Nick Greenhough is a short film I made last week following a visit to the jewellery quarter in Birmingham last week, enjoy.... https://vimeo.com/140231963
  18. Morturn

Potter's Wheel Interlude Film

Do you remember the potter's wheel interlude film on BBC? Well I found a Birmingham born and bred potter who I was able to film last week while working, enjoy. bzkYc-3jOpA
  19. Morturn

Dennis John Norton's Photographs

Following on from the Phyllis Nicklin tread, who left us with a priceless legacy that will benefit all of us who have a fascination with the past. Lets also enjoy the incredible images taken by Dennis John Norton or D J Norton as we have come to know him, and his amazing collection of railway...
  20. Morturn

Book: Wildfire Through Staffordshire

Members of this forum are all invited to the book launch of Wildfire Through Staffordshire. The Launch will include Talks, Poetry Readings, Music, Storytelling and Art Workshops. Saturday 6th September, Time: 10.00am–4.00pm Place: Sandwell Park Farm, Salters Lane, Sandwell Valley, West...
Back