• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HS2 Railway

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me HS2 is more of a vanity project, than a practical solution to the overcrowded roads and rail network. Most certainly the cost of traveling to London will be quite expensive, which you may say, its ok I can still use the slower train. However, invariably there will be a pull up effect on excising train fairs too.

I think if all the HGV vehicles that come into the UK from the channel tunnel could stay on the train, and travel directly from Dover to the Midlands, the North and Scotland, we wold then have something useful that would cut down road congestion.

I am a regular train user.

Afternoon Everyone.
The building of this railway will destroy many peoples lives. This is not progress to see swathes of our Birmingham
destroyed, when it is gone it is gone. This is history in the making but for the wrong reasons. Place a map of the route over a street map and you will see houses, factories, schools. offices, recreation grounds and many more things that will be wiped out. The noise maps are faulty, on a curve the highest noise levels are in the middle of the curve and not equal around it. Do people want to lose their garden and have to become prisoners in their home because of the noise of the trains. Do you want to have your house lights on all day because of the darkness and instead of walking to the corner shop have to catch two buses to get there.
I can assure you everyone in Water Orton fought on every front to try and stop motor ways on each side of the village but were told safeguarding Solihull was the main priority. So whats the priority with HS2.
This subject wants to be put in a good position so everyone is fully aware of what may start to happen next year.
Perhaps Mrs May might listen to people who will be affected.
Best wishes
Gerald...Garden Gerald.

hi gerald i agree with every word you have said...it is on the forum about myself and mike hodder (bcc archeaologist) attending the HS2 meetings mainly to plead with them to retain the fox and grapes pub corner of freeman st...eventually i realised that they had no intentions to do so as platform 6 is to be right where the fox and grapes now stands...i have long since realised that birminghams historical buildings count for nothing..if the land is wanted then they will take it along with anything that stands in its way:( its sad but its fact

lyn

The train journey from Euston the New Street takes 1 hour 25 minutes at times, will HS2 be faster at what cost. for a few minutes.

Hello Dave M
Journey time 49 minutes but cost of tickets not know yet but it seems they are working out prices
related to train speeds. 18 trains per hour in each direction. All trains will carry 1100 passengers.
No idea were all the passengers are coming from. Another big question is where will all the electricity be generated.
Newport in South Wales was closed but opened again after two weeks because the country is short of electricity.
These trains use huge amounts of electricity so expect the lights to dim, some well respected people in the electricity field think we will have some major problems. It seems the surge to start from standstill is beyond belief. Is this why they want to rush through a nuclear power station.
Best wishes
Gerald...Garden Gerald.

I say take that 30billion and build us youngsters new affordable housing so we don't have to keep renting at stupid prices because we are forced out of the housing market due to insane deposit requirements.

I think the UK has become a nation of stuck in the muds, anything and everything that's proposed has to have a group set up to obstruct its progress, "You can't do that it'll disturb the bats or the voles or any other animal." that can be used as an excuse .
We need energy but nuclear is too dangerous, wind turbines spoil the view, shale gas will pollute the water supply, coal is a danger to climate.
If in the mid 1800s all this anti everything was allowed Birmingham wouldn't exist it would just be a few hamlets occupied by serfs.
Step aside people let's get some progress and a better safe future for the generations to come.

I think the UK has become a nation of stuck in the muds, anything and everything that's proposed has to have a group set up to obstruct its progress, "You can't do that it'll disturb the bats or the voles or any other animal." that can be used as an excuse .
We need energy but nuclear is too dangerous, wind turbines spoil the view, shale gas will pollute the water supply, coal is a danger to climate.
If in the mid 1800s all this anti everything was allowed Birmingham wouldn't exist it would just be a few hamlets occupied by serfs.
Step aside people let's get some progress and a better safe future for the generations to come.
Eric,
Lets take a step back & see who benefits from Hs2. Not many. Who benefits from the NHS & better roads? Nearly everyone . Who cares if you can get to London from Brum 10 minutes quicker.

Smudger I think there will be many benefits from it and other schemes like it, it's not just a saviour of a few minutes for travellers.
As for the NHS I think if the whole cost of the HS2 were pumped into it it would simply disappear into a huge black hole of misuse and greed.
If Aneurin Bevan could see what his wonderful idea had turned into he would turn in his grave.

All the rage some 40 years ago was Cost Benefit Analysis and an element of this was part of many university degrees, but it seems to have disappeared or been overwhelmed by political dogma. The cost of HS2 is a huge amount of money as well as destruction of large chunks of the environment and the displacement of many people from their homes. But who, exactly does it benefit? Mainly travelling businessmen, by chipping 20 minutes or so off of their travelling time, and some foreign company building the rolling stock because for some strange reason we can't build it ourselves. HS2 seems largely weighted in favour of costs to me with very little benefit to the vast majority of voters. Or have I missed something?

Maurice

Smudger I think there will be many benefits from it and other schemes like it, it's not just a saviour of a few minutes for travellers.
As for the NHS I think if the whole cost of the HS2 were pumped into it it would simply disappear into a huge black hole of misuse and greed.
If Aneurin Bevan could see what his wonderful idea had turned into he would turn in his grave.
I don`t think Aneurin would turn in his grave at todays NHS. It may not be perfect but it has never been perfect, but we`d be in a pickle without it. My missus had bowel cancer some 5 years ago, & without the NHS she wouldn`t be alive today. There`s no way i could afford the cost of the operation she had, & i don`t think many folk could. OK, so sometimes we have to wait for treatment & we all love to grumble about that, but it`s a fantastic institution & something Britain should be proud of. I`m not totally against progress Eric, but £30 billion for Hs2 & £30 billion to update Trident? That`s a mind boggling amount of money.

This is a thread on HS2. the last post has been deleted as it was nothing to do with that subject. The thread will be closed if it continuously goes off the subject

You're right of course mikegee but that's the way of conversation it does drift off in all directions, that's what makes it interesting.

Hello Everyone

The history of my Birmingham and My Britain will never be the same if the new railway is built. Many parts of history will be lost for ever. When the Land Undertaker puts his cross on anything it will be gone for good.
Can anyone tell me the plans for aesthetic and remedial works please. I have asked and been told its all in hand, but whose hand.
The noise levels have been tested in sound booths and after 5 minutes people could not hear and were shouting plus some felt very sick. As human beings do we want to see people living a life of hell so that someone might make money. We just need to start asking lots of questions to make them sit up and realise people are interested. At the moment they think no one is bothered.
Take care and best wishes to everyone...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

Hello Everyone

The history of my Birmingham and My Britain will never be the same if the new railway is built. Many parts of history will be lost for ever. When the Land Undertaker puts his cross on anything it will be gone for good.
Can anyone tell me the plans for aesthetic and remedial works please. I have asked and been told its all in hand, but whose hand.
The noise levels have been tested in sound booths and after 5 minutes people could not hear and were shouting plus some felt very sick. As human beings do we want to see people living a life of hell so that someone might make money. We just need to start asking lots of questions to make them sit up and realise people are interested. At the moment they think no one is bothered.
Take care and best wishes to everyone...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

Playing devil's advocate I wonder what people thought during the industrial revolution when mining was destroying the landacape , railways popped up everywhere and steam engines roared through england. Without all that what would Birmingham look like?

As for property getting knocked down out in the sticks and people being displaced I sympathise but since only the weathly will be able to buy property out in the sticks anyway our generation doesn't lose anything.

Whilst the countryside continue to deny councils and fight councils to stop homes being built forcing the cities to compact and struggle , I have a hard time worrying about HS2.

We have no industry left so beyond the city working there is little for our generation, the countryside venomously protects it's own lands and the history your trying to protect will eventually fall and our generation may finally catch a break.

I'm not against history but I am against making life tougher and tougher and I just can't see how hs2 won't in some way benefit 'us' it's our turn now and we have to try and fix the mess that was left for us.

To quantify I believe towns will pop up around the areas the tracks are placed and will go a long way to help solve the housing crisis.

Hello Warren
I often wondered what the devils advocate looked like and now I know. In my early training years we would often in front of a good number of other students have to have one against one in a devils advocate situation. The devils advocate always bought the drinks afterwards.
I am a little busy at the moment because I have my young team of workers staying and I have to do as I am told. I will reply as soon as I can.
Best wishes...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

The history of my Birmingham and My Britain will never be the same if the new railway is built. Many parts of history will be lost for ever.

What is different to this railway from all the other railways, or all the dozens of motorways, that have been built, (or as poster says above, the canals)?

All developments like railways or motorways or canals cause some disruption, they always have and always will. I am sure when the Romans came and built their roads 2000 years ago some villages had to be moved.

I often wonder if people who are against HS2 ever drive on our existing motorway system, or go on our existing railways come to that, because THEY had to be built, and often went through or alongside towns or villages or through fine countryside.

In fact HS2 will cause little disruption at the Birmingham end as it will run alongside and near the M6 motorway to get into the city centre, and the site for the station (in the city centre, next to Moor St station) is already derelict and waiting for the station. In fact very little will have to be demolished to build the station, just a few student flats at the end of Curzon Street.

To make a statement that "my Birmingham and My Britain" will never be the same if this railway is built" seems rather over dramatic to be honest.

WHAT Birmingham is that? The Birmingham that Chamberlain swept away to modernize the city centre in the 1800s?, the Birmingham that was destroyed by the German bombs, the Birmingham that was totally altered by the 1960s and 1970s town planners with their ring roads and flyovers?, or the Birmingham that is now being totally changed by the demolition and redevelopment of the site of the 1970s library and the site of the ATV studios off Broad Street?

Birmingham has never stood still and is constantly changing. I have only lived here 30 years but I have seen TWO BullRing shopping centres, TWO New street stations, TWO Libraries and so on.

There is not such thing as "My Birmingham". If you went back 150 years you would probably not recognize the city, and if anyone from 150 years ago arrived here now THEY would not recognize it either.

ALL cities change ALL the time, they are not frozen in aspic, they have to be changed and updated as society changes.

There is a fallacy that HS2 is all about getting from London to Birmingham, or Birmingham to London, quicker.

While that will happen, it is also about getting trains OFF the existing West Coast and East Coast main lines as they are full to capacity.

Virgin would like to introduce new services to other cities but there is no capacity at New St station.

If/when HS2 is built they can have less trains running between London and Birmingham on the West Coast main line as they will run on the HS2 line. The will free up space on the West Coast main line for other services to other cities.

It is NOT just about getting between London and Birmingham 20 minutes quicker but opening up train services to other cities..

Back