• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. ellbrown

Paradise development 2017

Edit. Please note there are a number of other related threads as follows Paradise pre development 2014 - 2016 https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/paradise-pre-development-2014-2016.44640/ Paradise Circus...
  2. ellbrown

King George V Public House - Bristol Road South, Longbridge

A former Mitchells & Butlers pub in Longbridge. On the corner of Bristol Road South and Tessall Lane. Not far from Northfield. It was built in 1935 and is Grade II listed. King George V Public House, Birmingham I first took photos of it when it was Emerald Cantonese Restaurant back in 2010...
  3. ellbrown

The Huntsman - Harborne

Some photos from today of the half demolished Huntsman in Harborne. High Street and Harborne Park Road. Last week some of the building fell into the road, and it was closed off, while they demolished the top half. There's a restaurant and hairdressers to the left that was unaffected.
  4. ellbrown

Balsall Heath Police

Some photos of Balsall Heath Police Station on Edward Road in Balsall Heath. Built in 1869.
  5. ellbrown

Highgate Fire Station

Already posted these on the Facebook group, but thought I'd also share them here (for those without Facebook). Birmingham Theatre School - The Old Fire Station - Moseley Road / Highgate Square in Highgate. Moseley Road views Highgate Square view Building behind now the Highgate...
  6. ellbrown

Delicia Cinema (now part of the EBRI at Aston University).

Thought I'd start a new thread for this former cinema, as all that remains is the frontage behind the EBRI (European Bioenergy Research Institute). Photos from 2011 (may have posted them before in another thread). This was before the EBRI was built behind it. With the Sack of Potatoes pub.
  7. ellbrown

Across Birmingham on the 29A

I was in WH Smith in Solihull today and I saw a book by David Harvey called Across Birmingham on the 29A. Most of these routes were before my time, but also mentions the former 30, 33, 90 and 91. The modern day 5 and 6. Strange that these routes also went to Kingstanding, when the current ones...
  8. ellbrown

22 Highfield Road, Edgbaston

The white stucco building at 22 Highfield Road, Edgbaston has been having a partial demolition around it for the last year or so. It used to be used as offices (I think). Think they removed a garage on the right, and two side doors to the back. Here is is 2 years ago in February 2012 A...
  9. ellbrown

Birmingham Home for Lost and Starving Dogs

As you may all know, this building on New Canal Street in Eastside / Digbeth went on fire in October 2013. Walked past it today and got some shots of the remains!
  10. ellbrown

Open Day - Acocks Green and Yardley Wood bus garages

Open Day at Acocks Green and Yardley Wood bus garages. Saturday 5th October 2013. Starting with Acocks Green
  11. ellbrown

Auchinleck statue

I had a wonder through the Five Ways Shopping Centre (or what is left of it) and I saw this statue through the windows of the closed entrance to Auchinleck House. The statue in Auchinleck Square is not accessible by the general public (blocked off). I saw it through here
  12. ellbrown

Bull Ring 2003

Modern view from 2009 The bottom end has changed since the Spiceal Street development opened.
  13. ellbrown

Longbridge Station (Halesowen Railway) demolished

The former station building in Longbridge (was on the Halesowen railway that went through the MG Rover / Austin works) was demolished last year. I've got some photos from the last 3 years of it's life (2010-2013). In 2010 In 2011 I didn't get around to taking shots while it was being...
  14. ellbrown

Rolfe Street, Smethwick

I went to Smethwick recently and while there, got photos of buildings on Rolfe Street, but know nothing about them (not sure if this is the right place to post this thread) Star Window Co Ltd - 16 Rolfe Street, Smethwick Smethwick Enterprise Centre - Rolfe Street, Smethwick Rolfe House -...
  15. ellbrown

Busts and other objects

Recently, I went around the museum taking photos of the various busts and other objects in there. This set includes my previous exterior shots of BMAG Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Statue of John Bright Bust of David Cox by Peter Hollins Bust of Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquis...
  16. ellbrown

John Madin

The architect John Madin has passed away aged 87. Designer of the old Central Library in Centenary Square. Obituary - John Madin
  17. ellbrown

Joseph Sturge Statue

There was a Carl Chinn article today about Joseph Sturge. About how he fought for the rights for slaves. Carl Chinn - Fighting for the right of slaves by ell brown, on Flickr
  18. ellbrown

Old Central Public Library Birmingham (1866 - 1894)

I went to the Black Country Living Museum the other day, and I found this old spiral staircase from the old Central Public Library Birmingham, which existed from 1866 to 1894. I believe they were building an extension in the 1870s when they had a fire. They then rebuilt the library in the 1880s...
  19. ellbrown

Charlotte Street

Any idea what this building on Charlotte Street was? It is near the Newhall Square site, not too far from the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal at Fleet Street. Newhall Square - car park from Charlotte Street - Electrical sub-station by ell brown, on Flickr
  20. ellbrown

Lower Loveday Street / Princip Street pub

Saw this pub from Shadwell Street - on the corner of Lower Loveday Street and Princip Street (in the soon to be former Gun Quarter). Former pub on corner of Lower Loveday Street and Princip Street by ell brown, on Flickr
Back