• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Home for Lost and Starving Dogs

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
As you may all know, this building on New Canal Street in Eastside / Digbeth went on fire in October 2013.

Walked past it today and got some shots of the remains!

We had several dogs from there and they also boarded while we went on holiday. One time we collected the dog and the driver wouldn't let us on the bus as he was covered in brown disinfectant, my brother had to walk all the way home with him!! I remember going under the bridge by the Tannery...what a smell! The dog loved it, and wouldn't stop sniffing nearby.
rosie.

Is it just me , or is it strange that within a short time two shisha (or sheesha) places are burnt down. I'd never heard of them till a short time ago

Ha ha - you've got a nasty suspicious mind, Mike! :)

Seriously it does look a bit of a tatty frontage with the Dogs Home sign still showing.

Maurice

I know that this place on Adelaide Street / Lower Darwin Street burnt down a couple of years ago!

But was called Moon Lounge

Is it just me , or is it strange that within a short time two shisha (or sheesha) places are burnt down. I'd never heard of them till a short time ago

not just you mike...i thought it strange as well...the other day another sheesha building a few doors from the old crown digbeth burnt down..

I finally saw that Sheesha place this morning from the bus on Digbeth High Street (between The Old Crown and The Rainbow).

Went on fire on Christmas Day!

Christmas Day fire in Digbeth

It was an eventful start to Christmas Day in Digbeth yesterday, as firefighters were called to a blaze on High Street Deritend at 03:14.
Luckily, all 14 people living above the fire escaped, including two who jumped from the first floor, suffering only minor bone injuries and smoke insulation.
The High Street between Heath Mill Lane and Adderley Street was closed for several hours while the fire was dealt with, and electricity supply to the buildings was isolated as a safety measure. At the fire’s peak, a total of 40 firefighters and ten fire engines were at the scene, and a police helicopter was dispatched to relay information.
The fire was extinguished and most crews left the scene by 15:30, but firefighters continued to check the site periodically throughout the day.
It is not yet clear how the fire, which is subject to investigation, started. However, it is believed to have affected the Diamond Sheesha lounge, which has prompted calls from the public for more to be done to prevent the spread of shisha lounges:

hi ellbrown;
just rad the thread you put on about the fire i am trying to place in my mind just where about on the high street it was
You say it was between the old crown and the rainbow pub ; do you or anybody else can recall what was he actual premise before
being turned into a resturnt [ shenna ] as i thought the fire may have been next to the police station;
i have looked at the video from the rear end but i still cannot place the building i amvery curiuos abot this ; as i used to run a pub in digbeth
and i am very familiar with digbeth as i have history with it and bussiness associations at one time whom i v not spoken to in years
so i woud really appreciate an knowledge of its previous tennants many thanks best wishes astonian;;

It's near all that graffiti and that former church!

Here it is in 2009

The shop frontage is different now, and different Sheesha graffiti to 2009.

I read in the Solihull News today that the current Birmingham Dog's Home (on New Bartholomew Street in Digbeth), is planning on moving to new premises in Catherine-de-Barnes in Solihull!

I read in the Solihull News today that the current Birmingham Dog's Home (on New Bartholomew Street in Digbeth), is planning on moving to new premises in Catherine-de-Barnes in Solihull!
Ell this was announced in BBC news back in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ellbrown
Nice to hear from you may be my thread may come to you next week i have tryed two days and seen it as not come through yet
It makes you smile when we talk about todays technolghy astonian

Pardon, via the Facebook group?

I took some photos this morning of the Sheesha Lounge Desert Parlour "Diamond" remains on High Street Deritend in Digbeth. Could probably start a new thread for that one?

Edit:

For the time being I will post them here!

Hi ellbrown,
just a quickly, in the last photo you took, there is a tower of some sort attached to a building. There used to be a business in that building selling tyres and washing cars. My question is, do you know what that building was originally? We used to get our vans washed there all the time, and the building always fascinated me.
edd

It was built as a church / chapel. Italian style. Father Lopes' Chapel

More info on my old photo here

Ellbrown
thanks for the info. Always wondered what it was, pity it can't be taken over by somebody and done up a bit.
edd

Yet the Solihull News only published it this week!
As my ex Journalist wife would point out Ell - news is slow this time of year. It may be that it has been mentioned at some council meeting.

Went down New Canal Street and found that a car park now stands where the ex Birmingham Dog homes was!

And they named it after the place that occupied it before the fire!

Hi elbrown.
What a coincidence last night I was going to mention the old dogs home on new canal street lat night
On here in the forum but I was called away for a while so I cancelled the beginning of what I was typing on screen
Yes I know the dogs home it was just yards from my grand parents home and transport B and B business
There coffee shop was on the very corner and we would hear all the dogs going barmy
I was going to say about the home for the dogs are going up market I say that with a little smile on my face
It was a dirty cramped old home for them on new canal street which I know as I went in there one day to take home a dog for my little kids at the time
When we lived on Coventry road opersite the old rootes, car factory and I used to pass it every week end when I used to spend my week ends
Up on new canal street at the coffee shop and my mother grew up there when she was a kid

She was born thou at no,4 Parliament street then they moved and lived her younger days growing up at canal street
Since then as well the dogs was moved out of new canal street around to Bartholomew street just behind bordesely Street many years ago to a nice clean living quarters just like looking at a block of high rise flats from the corner
And they do get well looked after by the team of experts and managements over the decades

Well watered and fed thanks to the people of brum by donating tenpence every Christmas time they put an little advert in the paper
To give these fellas a Christmas dinner quite area years back there was a very old man whom was a butcher on Coventry red
By the pub and the stream he left forty thousand pounds to new canal dogs home to build that new complex for the dogs
Up around on bartholmom street now years later they are going up market as gain
Within area months from now they are going up market to the posh quarters of Solihull at Catherine de Barnes Lane to brand new kennels
I was wondering about this H S 2 train business coming in would this old new canal street home be in the way
Or the place they are at now cutting through digbeth as any bearing on there move
Or is it a council compulsory purchase in advance as they do for the future Astonian,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been watching the construction of the new dogs home with interest for the past few months,I was always so sorry for the dogs in Birmingham Dogs home with no grass to run about on.
The new place is in a beautiful setting.

Where's the new one?

The current one is up New Bartholomew St!

Something needs building on the old New Canal St site, too many temporary surface car parks.

The new one which is under construction is on the B4438 which runs between the A45 near the Airport/NEC and the village of Catherine de Barnes, Solihull.

If you could see where they have moved the RSPCA from Barnes Hill to, its ridiculous. It's right out in the countryside at the back of Frankley Green. I took my granddaughter out there for a job interview last year and it's impossible to get there unless you are a car owner. So how some pensioners and other people who can't afford to get there will manage is beyond me. I thought the RSPCA was there for people who can't afford Vets fees?

Phil
I think some charities are more interested in campaigning, rather than doing anything useful for the community. Most of the campaigners will have cars, or may even have ones paid for by the charity.

If you could see where they have moved the RSPCA from Barnes Hill to, its ridiculous. It's right out in the countryside at the back of Frankley Green. I took my granddaughter out there for a job interview last year and it's impossible to get there unless you are a car owner. So how some pensioners and other people who can't afford to get there will manage is beyond me. I thought the RSPCA was there for people who can't afford Vets fees?

i agree phil...i had one of my cats from barnes hill and that was bad enough to get to..the new place sounds near on impossible...

bit disapointed in the new location for the dogs home as it seems they are moving further out now..nothing is really central is it...does sollihull come under birmingham..im not sure..

lyn

Back