• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

Another 'go to' for young Brummie trainspotters was Crewe South Sheds. Here are 2 7P6Fs, 70032 'Tennyson' and 70011 'Hotspur', both of which were disposed of within months of this picture being taken in 1967. Sad to see them in this state, Tennyson fired but without a smokebox door numberplate. I often wondered what the Drivers and Firemen of the time thought of the state of the locomotives and of the future that awaited them. I suppose it was a kind of fin de siècle for them. Perhaps that was why they tolerated a bunch of 12 year olds wandering about a yard full of potentially lethal machinery taking pictures!
7P6F 70032 and 70011 Crewe South 1967.jpg

and one more, 5MT 45310:
5MT 45310 Crewe South 1967.jpg

After Crewe we thought we could fit in a trip to Warrington Dallam sheds before the parents noticed we were missing:

5MT 44816 and D7602 Warrington 1967.jpg

All would have been fine but for a derailment ahead of our train on our way home. I recall that my Father was not at all amused by having to collect me from New Street Station at 02:00 on Sunday Morning.

H&S would have a fit now. we apply'd for passes to go in aston a saltley sheds. for a good days spotting and mooching, we never went in any other sheds. we were financially embarrassed. so it was new st snow hill or grassy banks aston church rd for us which was great. spotting in the days when the weather was hot and sunny all the time

yep, back in the fifty's ,was all I could afford to get a bus and platform ticket, with mothers, jam sandwiches and a bottle of water, would spend hours wandering, the platforms of New Street and Snow Hill.

ditto. sitting in the waiting rooms by the solid fuel stove chompig burnd spuds when it was snowing and very cold.... the wrong snow on the line never stopped the locos then out came the plough:grinning:

snowplough fitted to an ex-GWR pannier tank
1691559897442.png

Another 'go to' for young Brummie trainspotters was Crewe South Sheds. Here are 2 7P6Fs, 70032 'Tennyson' and 70011 'Hotspur', both of which were disposed of within months of this picture being taken in 1967. Sad to see them in this state, Tennyson fired but without a smokebox door numberplate. I often wondered what the Drivers and Firemen of the time thought of the state of the locomotives and of the future that awaited them. I suppose it was a kind of fin de siècle for them. Perhaps that was why they tolerated a bunch of 12 year olds wandering about a yard full of potentially lethal machinery taking pictures!
View attachment 183023

and one more, 5MT 45310:
View attachment 183024
Early 60s New Street to Crewe , pulled by steam loco, head out of the window, grit in the eyes and of course that unforgettable smell. Happy days.

Like Pete in the winter would snuggle on the hard wooden benches in the waiting rooms, with a fairly nice fire burning , it was cosy, and had a smell all of its own, !!

Another interesting collection of images

Many of the photographers then took images of the locomotive, but there gradually came a desire to be more artistic bringing in the surrounding buildings and structures to be part of the composition.

182226.jpg

Attachments

• 182226.jpg
    182226.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The Cambrian Passenger Express Locomotive", Class No. 94 (GWR No. 1014); introduced in 1903-4, the "94" class were the largest Cambrian engines and worked over the main line until 1942.:grinning:
1692198911484.png
C. P. Gasquoine

5917 GWR Hall class Westminster Hall withdrawn 1962. Southall was likely to be her last shed. Down journeys had locomotive changes usually at Shrewsbury, up trains usually at Wolverhampton.

A special train passing through Tyseley

There seem to be a lot less these days, it would be on interest to discuss why. There was a diesel special that passed through Stechford on Sunday evening, but these appear to be more common now.

182598.jpg

Virgin Trains (Tyseley) run their Special trains and charter to Stratford - upon - Avon and the South West of England. Other tour operators go to Scotland and generally places of interest.

A special train passing through Tyseley

There seem to be a lot less these days, it would be on interest to discuss why. There was a diesel special that passed through Stechford on Sunday evening, but these appear to be more common now.

View attachment 183405
Here's another view of steam from a similar camera position .... 5014 Goodrich Castle in 1961.
This was my view when I used to train spot through the railings at Tyseley station in the early 1960's, when there was a signal box and more tracks.
Tyseley Station (5014 Goodrich Castle) 29 July 1961.jpg

Virgin Trains (Tyseley) run their Special trains and charter to Stratford - upon - Avon and the South West of England. Other tour operators go to Scotland and generally places of interest.
For information it is Vintage Trains.
Main issue with steam tours is the cost of fuel these days and the time in preparation, unfortunately diesel tours just need a turn of the key and the drivers are more readily available and younger.

Back