• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

As the definition of a steam locomotive goes this engraving view must be on the margin.

The locomotive was tried on an experimental railway laid for 2 miles across Wimbledon Common in 1845. The design used a loco with flat
wheels running on wood rails and stabilizing wheels to hold the train in place. It was to the patent of William Prosser. Prosser's invention had
been intended for a railway to Woking but the South Western Railway decided that using wood rails was turning back the clock. Still Prosser persevered with his trial line that had the possibility of climbing gradients and dispensing with tunnels cuttings and embankments.

He subsequently was involved with a projected railway from Gloucester to Aberystwyth, which was not proceeded with, but the cheaper cost of construction had a certain value.

558501.jpg558501.jpg

It could include any form of motion where steam provided the power for locomotion, but in this case, the railway locomotive used on the Wimbledon Common line had 12 in diameter cylinders with 18 in stroke and probably was built in a conventional manner but had flangeless wheels. Those plateway engines that worked in South Wales had also flangeless wheels to run along the plate. The Neath Abbey Works made some of that type. But who made the Prosser Locomotive?

View of a train of Prosser's Patent Guide Wheel Carriages.
Note the keeper wheels, angled at about 45 degrees, which replaced the flanges and kept the locos and wagons on the flat wooden rails. The trackwork was noted as costing about half that of a normal "Steel Road", but doubtless would have required replacement 3 or 4 times in the lifetime of a conventional steel railed track.
View of a train of Prosser's Patent Guide Wheel Carriages, c 1845 .jpg

I believe the reproduced image is one that can be described as artistic licence. There is no record of more than one locomotive used and the stock in the sale (July 1846) included a second class carriage and three luggage vans.

However this image was used to great effect to promote the railway and the company promoting licences for the patent.

I see. For some reason I thought you were the other side of Wales. Went on the Festiniog once, many years ago

1691328982113.jpegmy local line, two miles away. I can't smell steam smoke, only wood or trees if there is a lineside fire, but i can hear the whistles when departing and entering the tunnel in certain winds. ;)

Despite the rain of late it is still possible to catch a locomotive on a train when it is not raining.
The smell of steam and smoke is something that can only be experienced.

This is Lydney, Forest of Dean Railway

View attachment 182877
I'm in Bream so this is as near as local that you can get, here in the village we have the 'Flour Mills' railway repair business where they fix up locos from all over the UK. https://theflourmill.com/#:~:text=T...ction visits are strictly by appointment only.

Greetings from Ruspidge, Eric.
Earlier this year the Dean Forest Railway held a 'Pannier and Prairie' event. Here 5541 is led by 9681. Full marks to the two crews for a smooth ride from Norchard to Parkend. 9681 was later decoupled to head a separate train.

Attachments

• P1010080.jpg
    P1010080.jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010062.jpg
    P1010062.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 10

LMS 6P 4-6-0 Royal Scot class No 6115 'Scot Guardsman' is seen in original condition at the head of an up express service circa 1930.Built by the North British Locomotive Company in October 1927 No 6115 was rebuilt post-war with a 2A tapered boiler and then remained in service until December 1965 when it was withdrawn from Kingmoor shed in Carlisle to bepreserved.​

IT was the loco used in the film Night Mail (1936)
1691502488719.png
warwickshirerailways

In the late '60s train travel was 'pocket money' cheap so it was easy for train spotters to get about to where Steam could still be seen, as it was long gone from Birmingham New Street. Here is 8F No. 48161 with Chester No.2 signal box in the background:

8F 48161 Chester.jpg

There were some types of steam locomotives that were planned to be part of a new development in design. The Duke of Gloucester was the sole example of its type, but others had been intended. It had a brief working life, was withdrawn, and might have been cut up, but then it was put back into service once preserved.182581.jpg

'Cambrian Coast Express' arriving at Wellington (Salop) station.12 April 1960
View westwards, towards Shrewsbury etc.; ex-GWR Birmingham - Shrewsbury - Chester main line (Joint with ex-LNWR from Shrewsbury on its line to Stafford). The Express had left Pwllheli at 09.55, was joined at Machynlleth by a section that left Aberystwyth at 11.45 and ran via Welshpool to Shrewsbury, where it reversed and this day the 4-6-0 No. 5917 'Westminster Hall' (built 7/31, withdrawn 9/62) took it on the next stage to Wolverhampton (Low Level).
1691510886566.png
Attribution: Ben Brooksbank

No. 6203 ‘Princess Margaret Rose’ heading the down ’Royal Scot’ at Bushey and picking up an excess of water!
After withdrawal, 46203 was bought by Billy Butlin of Butlins holiday camps and became one of two preserved Princesses, the other being 46201 Princess Elizabeth. After cosmetic restoration at Crewe, it was moved to Pwllheli in Gwynedd, arriving there in May 1963. It remained there until 1975 when it departed for the Midland Railway Centre (now Midland Railway - Butterley) in Derbyshire.

1691512338604.png
August 1935. Photo: P.E. Hawes.

Back