• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Well that was the end of sheet 52, a mixed bunch I will have a look for a sheet with a wider variety of subjects, although I will keep returning to the Pubs. As Lyn has said there are photos of the redevelopments around Birmingham as well so perhaps I will post one of them next ( Note to self Sheet 66)

Well that was the end of sheet 52, a mixed bunch I will have a look for a sheet with a wider variety of subjects, although I will keep returning to the Pubs. As Lyn has said there are photos of the redevelopments around Birmingham as well so perhaps I will post one of them next ( Note to self Sheet 66)
those should be interesting steve...thank you

lyn

Post number is not Lichfield Road Steve, its Aston Lane later to renamed as Aston Hall Road, Aston church is in the background

I know I said sheet A66 but this is sheet A60 purely because there is a selection of images and not many of them so I can "bring them to market" sooner.
First we have a selection from New Years day 1992.

First is view across Centenary Square, ( was it called that in 1992? ) with the dismantling of the stage, the Forward statue by Raymond Mason and the side of Baskerville House. Some may recall I used to work in Baskerville House and remember watching the statue burn down and it went very quickly and very black smoke. No Library of course

20230110210346_01.jpg

Have you noticed in the photos of public houses on the forum, how many are on street corners a point really made stronger by the pictures above? I was always aware of this when on the 5 bus going in and out of town up and down Summer Lane. Has this been discussed ,dissected anywhere on the forum. In reality, I suppose a street corner is an ideal location.
Bob

PS written before the later set were posted.

and finally on the New Year walk we end up at the Remembrance Garden off Bath Row / Holloway Head and the Colonnade which ironically originally came from the first view !. Now forming part of the Peace Garden which was better than the outdoor convenience and drop out centre it had become on Broad Street.

20230110210346_06.jpg

The next up I have no idea of - it is not mentioned on the type written sheet - mind that says there are 30+ images and I have 10!!, I have two versions this is the uncropped version and posted as it has a date on the top corner, It may be known to someone - tram in the background and a Virol enamel sign. There is also a bridge with ironwork which may offer a clue to a location.
20230110210346_10.jpg

Have you noticed in the photos of public houses on the forum, how many are on street corners a point really made stronger by the pictures above? I was always aware of this when on the 5 bus going in and out of town up and down Summer Lane. Has this been discussed ,dissected anywhere on the forum. In reality, I suppose a street corner is an ideal location.
Bob

PS written before the later set were posted.

This question has come up before on the Forum. How many pubs were there in Summer lane ?

The Raven photo can't be 1959. The trolleybuses - hence the overhead wires - ceased operation in 1940 although the overhead remained longer.

The next up I have no idea of - it is not mentioned on the type written sheet - mind that says there are 30+ images and I have 10!!, I have two versions this is the uncropped version and posted as it has a date on the top corner, It may be known to someone - tram in the background and a Virol enamel sign. There is also a bridge with ironwork which may offer a clue to a location.
View attachment 179022
To me over to the right seems what might be a roof of a station. Could it be demolition of snow hill?

Well there's 15 here to start with

View attachment 179026s
yes rob that was in the 1960s and all of them open except for no 9 which from memory was the red lion demolished in the late 20s and to date i do not think a photo of it has been found ..but before that there was more pubs on the lane as shown on a map by keiron from west midlands pubs on the summer lane pubs thread...the only one still open as a pub is the barrel ..the stag and the royal george buldings are still standing but no longer used as pubs

Last edited:
I know I said sheet A66 but this is sheet A60 purely because there is a selection of images and not many of them so I can "bring them to market" sooner.
First we have a selection from New Years day 1992.

First is view across Centenary Square, ( was it called that in 1992? ) with the dismantling of the stage, the Forward statue by Raymond Mason and the side of Baskerville House. Some may recall I used to work in Baskerville House and remember watching the statue burn down and it went very quickly and very black smoke. No Library of course

View attachment 179017
I remember an exhibition in the Museum and Art Gallery of smaller works by Raymond Mason, fruit and vegetables on barrows and market stalls. Delightful, a far cry from the almost universally unloved 'Forward' statue.

Now I could be wrong, but is this not a trick question, as it has been said that all the pubs in Summer Lane except one, had their front doors in the side streets ?

Now I could be wrong, but is this not a trick question, as it has been said that all the pubs in Summer Lane except one, had their front doors in the side streets ?
during the 60s i believe that is true pedro..the only one to have the entire pub actually on the lane was the vine inn..more info should be on the summer lane pubs thread

lyn

View attachment 179022
Could be New Street Station in the background

Back