• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe the petunias survived the winter, we will wait and see if they flower. We also have self seeded forgetmenots in the same barrel, they keep coming and flowering when they shouldn't, we just thin them out as they provide some colour. I have always pruned roses in October ish, my partner never pruned them at all, the climbers don't like to be pruned, A friend in France told me to prune October and March as did my uncle, but as it is mild he said now. So I have but I am not sure what to take off. So I just guessed. I have looked on line but it depends on the rose type and I don't know what most of them are.

The Sparrowhawk strikes again. I have now lost five small birds to the hawk & two to seemingly natural causes. The hawk seems to have found a plentiful food supply & sadly will keep coming back. How does one prevent this from happening again.:(
You can't.
But we have a lot of cover which helps them like ivy and creepers. There are also ball feeders which might protect them a bit. I have seen lampshade frame draped over nest boxes. We saw some savvy birds using one in Shropshire, Quite a big domed wire feeder. We saw a hawk on top of it, and bullfinches happily feeding inside.

We've got bird feeders in the back garden and 1 naughty black cat keeps sneaking in to try and catch the birds.After seeing an advert,I bought a set of 3 metal black cats in various poses to stick into the ground as CAT SCARERS.Did it frighten him away? Check the photo.
Tojo.

weather lovely today too seeing the sun shine makes you feel better i must get my jet washer out as well there is a lot of green algae on the paths and that must be removed.

weather lovely today too seeing the sun shine makes you feel better i must get my jet washer out as well there is a lot of green algae on the paths and that must be removed.

The amount of green algae to remove in our garden seems to get worse each year. I thought dry summers would kill it off but maybe the problem is warmer winters.

The weather is finally warming and sunny! Last week the high was in the low 30’s f with nights do we to 20/22 f. January was pretty much the same, the normal for January is 50f.
Looks like we and a lot of neighbors have lost SO many trees and shrubs. Yesterday it was 72f and today it’s 84f with lots of sun, crazy! Lots of wild daffodils are in almost full l bloom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back