• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

The 1816 map belonged to a series of maps across the UK that predated what is referred to as the original Ordnance Survey. Dates vary for that earliest survey. I recall the map that included Tardebigge includes a mention of the boat lift there

Paul
Originally it was half way between the Bristol Road just to the north of Selly oak and the canal. Its now expanded to cover the whole of that area

I remember as a boy after going to the Saturday Minors, at the "Oak Cinema", would walk down the Bristol Road, to where the Bridge was, facing the old Pawn Brokers shop on the opposite side , and look down on the Ariel Factory yard, where all the new Ariel Arrows and leaders were parked in long Lines.. Happy days indeed....

Thanks Richard, it has been an awfully long time since I have seen that view from the Bristol Road, actually my Niece "Kate West went to Birmingham and graduated in music, but that was the 90's...

I remember as a boy after going to the Saturday Minors, at the "Oak Cinema", would walk down the Bristol Road, to where the Bridge was, facing the old Pawn Brokers shop on the opposite side , and look down on the Ariel Factory yard, where all the new Ariel Arrows and leaders were parked in long Lines.. Happy days indeed....
That is the place! As I walked rode my bike past there, wishing I could afford a new something!

Yes about my time Richard, went in Army as a lad, in 62, so yes approximately my time, if anyone remembers the large pawn brokers shop on the Bristol Road by the bridge, in late 50's early 60's, and remembers their name would be appreciated...

I am sure that it must be very scenic area Terence, it is a very long time ago that I would walk from central Birmingham to Weoley Castle, which I did very many time a lad, along the Bristol Road, loved all the trees, was a very greenplace even then..

University Station has just been rebuilt so I have not seen it yet which has a new bridge across the canal into the University. I was there briefly a few weeks ago but I had a tight change of trains so went across the old footbridge not really seeing anything.

Went through the university station in late september and on train, and then new bit of the station still seemed to be being fitted out then and not open

The view of Warwick Bar actually does not show it. That image looks along the Digbeth Branch of the BCN the junction canal to Warwick Bar is hidden on the left. It is a view of the Proof House, however.

Not sure if this is in the forum but I found this atmospheric photograph of Kings Norton lock keeper's house and (guillotine?) lock taken in 1965.
31496182_2027038340642921_5595528743788478464_n.jpg

Guillotine locks are nice peaceful things. belying their name. This. no longer operative, version is sited at Kings Norton on the Stratford-on-Avon Canal but rarely do cruisers realize it was once a control lock, designed so that every boat passing from the Stratford paid a lockful of water (that vital canal commodity) to the Worcester 8 Birmingham Canal. Although the difference in water levels was only 2 in (5 cm). in a year's working the cubic volume can only have been an embarrass only have been an embarrassment. Work commenced on adjusting the levels in 1959,

A Pictorial History of Canals by Gladwin, David Daniel Francis (1977)

3053C328-1DEA-4F6E-8A30-90CA620502CF.jpeg

#Post 1034 in this tread shown a photo of the lock when the guillotine was used. It was made redundant by equalising the water levels between the two canals.

Last edited:
Back