• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

From the Report of the proceedings of the Conference on Inland Navigation, Birmingham, February 12th, 1895.

“The city of Birmingham, in which we are now assembled, has not only been largely the cradle of the canal system, but is, even to this date, a foster-mother to water-navigation for heavy traffic. The Birmingham canal navigations are among the most extensive in the whole country, and carry altogether nearly eight millions of tons of traffic, which is more than three times the tonnage carried by the Aire and Calder canal, the next most important system. Nor is the Birmingham system without interest from other points of view. The Netherton and Dudley tunnels--the former 9,081 feet and the latter 9,516 feet in length-are sufficiently notable to be classed among the great engineering works of an earlier day, and so also with the Lappal tunnel which extends to 11,385 feet in length….
….These works must have taxed the resources of the constructive minds of the last century much more severely than more wonderful works would be likely to do at the present day. So also with the reservoirs that feed the Birmingham canal system, six in number, and one of them with a capacity of 105,000,000 cubic feet.”

It didn’t come to pass…

“One of the schemes that are at present in nubibus in this district is that of converting the Worcester and Birmingham navigation into a ship-canal, so that, as a continuance of the Severn scheme, steamships of 400 tons burthen would be able to pass from tidal water into Birmingham without break of bulk. The length of this navigation is 30 miles, and estimates have been furnished to carry out the work for £603,300, but whether the cost be less or more it would seem to be well worth trying.

This measure, however, at the most would only relieve a comparatively small part of the coal industry of the country, and it would depend upon the extent of the traflic that could be put on the canals between Birmingham and the sea, whether it would relieve even that. One thing only is certain, namely, that the Birmingham and Midland traders generally are
in great straits, in consequence of their relatively great distance from the sea. It is desirable to minimize as far as possible the inconveniences of the geographical situation of the Midland capital from this point of view. The railway companies either cannot or will not give additional assistance to this end.”

Report of the proceedings of the Conference on Inland Navigation, Birmingham, February 12th, 1895

It didn’t come to pass…

“One of the schemes that are at present in nubibus in this district is that of converting the Worcester and Birmingham navigation into a ship-canal, so that, as a continuance of the Severn scheme, steamships of 400 tons burthen would be able to pass from tidal water into Birmingham without break of bulk. The length of this navigation is 30 miles, and estimates have been furnished to carry out the work for £603,300, but whether the cost be less or more it would seem to be well worth trying.

This measure, however, at the most would only relieve a comparatively small part of the coal industry of the country, and it would depend upon the extent of the traflic that could be put on the canals between Birmingham and the sea, whether it would relieve even that. One thing only is certain, namely, that the Birmingham and Midland traders generally are
in great straits, in consequence of their relatively great distance from the sea. It is desirable to minimize as far as possible the inconveniences of the geographical situation of the Midland capital from this point of view. The railway companies either cannot or will not give additional assistance to this end.”

Report of the proceedings of the Conference on Inland Navigation, Birmingham, February 12th, 1895
I remember the oil tankers coming up the Severn. They had old Galleons sunk into the banks around Kempsey to stop the bank eroding with the wash caused by these tankers.

I remember the oil tankers coming up the Severn. They had old Galleons sunk into the banks around Kempsey to stop the bank eroding with the wash caused by these tankers.
Do you recall where at Kempsey these hulks were placed. I know a marine historian who world be interested.

I do know there were hulks at Wainload Hill by the Red Lion and of course you have the well known ships graveyard at Purton.

Do you recall where at Kempsey these hulks were placed. I know a marine historian who world be interested.

I do know there were hulks at Wainload Hill by the Red Lion and of course you have the well known ships graveyard at Purton.
I do not now I was only about 10/11 years old at the time. I do know the banks were soft sand and as the loaded tankers went upstream they used to drag the water away behind them and then it would come crashing back into the bank. I had to go up into the field till the water settled again.

It didn’t come to pass…

Pedro, it would also seem to be valuable for importing goods and services TO Birmingham not just from.

I never did find out where these tankers that come up the Severn went to unload their cargo
The tankers would unload at Diglis Basin in Worcester. There was an oil and petrol storage depot there. It was the distributed firstly by road then by pipeline.

Now the pipeline goes directly to Kingsbury from at Avonmouth.

The tankers would unload at Diglis Basin in Worcester. There was an oil and petrol storage depot there. It was the distributed firstly by road then by pipeline.

Thank you, l always thought it must stop at Worcester as I thought how they get past Diglis.

As these old Galleons had been there a long time I assume there would be remnants of them still visible but they may have broken up over the years and been washed away by the floods.

As these old Galleons had been there a long time I assume there would be remnants of them still visible but they may have broken up over the years and been washed away by the floods.
Yes, the Severn is subject to significant high flood levels, erosion and silt movement so they could either have been washed away or buried. There are quite a few artifacts on the banks if you look. The best places to go now is either Purton (the one on the Gloucester side) or at Lydney too.

I have a collection of photos of the Purton site here

Yes, the Severn is subject to significant high flood levels, erosion and silt movement so they could either have been washed away or buried. There are quite a few artifacts on the banks if you look. The best places to go now is either Purton (the one on the Gloucester side) or at Lydney too.

I have a collection of photos of the Purton site here
Wonderful collection, very informative/educational! Thank you for sharing…..

Just found this image on FB. One I have been looking out for some time. Its Gas Street as I remember it in the 60’s with the plank bridge across the stop lock. We stopped off here on a barge called the Adder in 1966. The Adder had a Bolinder engine, quite a common engine on narrow boats. You took your life into your own hands when starting one up.

I recall the year because we were on our way to Tardebigge to use the dry dock for Adder. There was a brand-new set of lock gates on the ground, waiting to be fitted. The date of 1966 carved neatly into the fresh oak.

Scene on a Birmingham canal during the late 60s or 70s Image Bob Moore.jpg

From the Report of the proceedings of the Conference on Inland Navigation, Birmingham, February 12th, 1895.

“The city of Birmingham, in which we are now assembled, has not only been largely the cradle of the canal system, but is, even to this date, a foster-mother to water-navigation for heavy traffic. The Birmingham canal navigations are among the most extensive in the whole country, and carry altogether nearly eight millions of tons of traffic, which is more than three times the tonnage carried by the Aire and Calder canal, the next most important system. Nor is the Birmingham system without interest from other points of view. The Netherton and Dudley tunnels--the former 9,081 feet and the latter 9,516 feet in length-are sufficiently notable to be classed among the great engineering works of an earlier day, and so also with the Lappal tunnel which extends to 11,385 feet in length….
….These works must have taxed the resources of the constructive minds of the last century much more severely than more wonderful works would be likely to do at the present day. So also with the reservoirs that feed the Birmingham canal system, six in number, and one of them with a capacity of 105,000,000 cubic feet.”
I think you will find the Lapal tunnel has collapsed in many parts. The Lapal Canal Trust is trying to raise money to open it up again, the plan is to make it a lock system overland. If this will ever happen I have my doubts. The plan was to join up with the Birmingham to Worcester Canal by Selly Oak railway station.

Just found this image on FB. One I have been looking out for some time. Its Gas Street as I remember it in the 60’s with the plank bridge across the stop lock. We stopped off here on a barge called the Adder in 1966. The Adder had a Bolinder engine, quite a common engine on narrow boats. You took your life into your own hands when starting one up.

I recall the year because we were on our way to Tardebigge to use the dry dock for Adder. There was a brand-new set of lock gates on the ground, waiting to be fitted. The date of 1966 carved neatly into the fresh oak.

View attachment 170084
Mort, a very poinient image!

Yes but I remember Shell oil tankers coming all the way up to Stourport to unload in the1970's .... was turned into independent mooring yard ....site is now a marina run by Ting deane marinas company

Yes but I remember Shell oil tankers coming all the way up to Stourport to unload in the1970's .... was turned into independent mooring yard ....site is now a marina run by Ting deane marinas company
Ting Deane marina bottom of Sandy Lane industrial estate, I know it well. Worked down there many a time when I was a BT engineer. Never knew the oil tankers unloaded there that I used to see pass me years ago when I was a kid fishing Kempsey.

A few photo's I took of the canal by Sherbourne Wharf when I was in Brium a feew weeks ago.

Ist is one of the many derelict factories we passed. 2nd is pulling away from Gas street Basin. 3rd A pair of ducks and their family, Lots of herons there as well, but they skidaddeled when they saw the boat.
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Sherbourne Wharf from A Portrait of Birmingham by Van Greaves.

A83249A6-18F0-4054-B102-D03153478492.jpeg

Not heard of that before but I see they do it in London now - Canary Wharf area and Paddington / Little Venice, the latter advertised as 'alcohol free' :laughing: no doubt a sensible idea!

I have yet to see a Go Boat at Brindley Place and wonder how many of the craft exist and where they are kept.

There are certain rules for navigating the canals and I also wonder what instructions are given to those that spend £95 for the hour trip.

Being electric there is the advantage of an environmentally friendly form of power, but what happens if they collide with another craft and mooring up to get on or get off may be more complicated than the website suggests

Back