• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

Attachments

• 51DE1C50-F812-4565-8C8D-D8BA1D5EC856.jpeg
    51DE1C50-F812-4565-8C8D-D8BA1D5EC856.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 12
1933.... Construction of the coal unloading area outside Nechells Princes Power Station showing the large Telpher installation for unloading canal barges and the rail coal tipping facilities in the distance
nechells108.jpg

Robert Ferris .warwickshirerailways

Re: Canals of Brum

Crommie, nice pictures. I'm glad you use the word "barge" O0 - I was corrected by some knowall on another website for not calling the powered boat a narrow boat and the motorless thing that it tows a butty.

Anyway, that's bye-the-bye, this is a great topic as I've always been fascinated by the cuts around Brum. Besides Black Patch Park, the cut and the railway bank were my favourite hang-outs as a child... still are if I get the chance.

As kids one of our favourite tricks (cruel, I know and we deserved to be thrashed for it) was firing a catpult at the towing 'oss ass, from a bridge to see if we could make him bolt. Another was emptying cans of water from the bridge onto the bargee steering at the back. Many's the time I've escaped by the skin of my teeth from being battered with a long barge-pole when the enraged bloke came after us. I was quick in those days.

Here are a couple of photos of my own, which, understandably, are not quite as old as yours.

This Bride & Groom must have shared our interest in the cut to have their wedding pictures taken there in 1992...

CanalNewlyWeds02.jpg

Then there's this barking bargee...

GasSt9202a.jpg
(sorry if I've posted that one before) :-\

This was taken from Newhall Street with the old Science Museum (remember that) on the right...

NwhlSt9205a.jpg

Of course things have changed over the years since the 'oss drawn days...

CanalView01.jpg

Wonder what the old bargees would make of all this trendy stuff...

Ö​
Thanks for the memory jogging post. Ray

Some more pictures of the canals and the areas upgraded for entertainment, and commercial use.
The Maillbox , with residential narrow boats , and pics of access to NIA , etc the third picture is a lovely view of the canal infrastructure.
source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• D5C23E5B-09AE-4233-AABC-76B19F5793A4.jpeg
    D5C23E5B-09AE-4233-AABC-76B19F5793A4.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 6439B2EE-9820-4221-B317-DC107B3F3053.jpeg
    6439B2EE-9820-4221-B317-DC107B3F3053.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 14
  • 6BE4415C-09BF-4530-A81C-FFF5091414F5.jpeg
    6BE4415C-09BF-4530-A81C-FFF5091414F5.jpeg
    697.6 KB · Views: 15
Because they unloaded bananas there There seems to have been a lot of banana business in birmingham,. There was a banana warehouse in Digbeth area and warehouses under moor st station dealt with bananas. ?It has been stated that HP sauce used bananas in their recipe,(though whether that is true now with the move abroad I do not know)

I know this spot well opposite is a " stop lock " many people look at having no idea what it was for.
Do you know why it was called a "Banana wharf?"

Nick Phillips.
Hello,
My understanding was there was a warehouse there for Bananas, I am researching Fyffse location in Birmingham, will update when I get more info.

There is a thread concerning them, though it is a bit bitty

There is a thread concerning them, though it is a bit bitty
Hello,
Just had a quick look at the thread , it jogged my memory re the fruit and veg wholesalers in the town, and given me some areas to research.
Thank you

The old banana wharf and swinging lock gate (Fyffes) Fazeley Street
Source historicengland.org.uk
I lived almost opposite in Fazeley Street in the 50s. Barn Street was just about opposite, and I was a few doors away. The waste bin on the post on the left edge was almost the corner with Barn Street.
jesse james.jpeg
The lettering on the building behind me on the white panel was British Waterways at that time, I think it has changed since. I can just about remember looking into the wharf when the gates, behind me, were opened.

Andrew.

Fellows,Morton, and Clayton muswesfgt have been the key player in the canal trade in Birmingham and the greater Midlands area.
I thought they were one of the largest barge owners in the country. I am sure they were the principle canal carriers in the West Midlands.
Bob

I lived almost opposite in Fazeley Street in the 50s. Barn Street was just about opposite, and I was a few doors away. The waste bin on the post on the left edge was almost the corner with Barn Street.
View attachment 176771
The lettering on the building behind me on the white panel was British Waterways at that time, I think it has changed since. I can just about remember looking into the wharf when the gates, behind me, were opened.

Andrew.
Andrew, you look like a young Wyatt Earp with that long revolver in your hand! looks like you are left-handed, Wyatt would have appreciated that :cool:

Just found this gem of a PDF download book Called "Birmingham Canal Navigations, Cruising and walking Guide" Dated 1984. Great details and basic drawings.

The file is too large for attaching but you can access it here: https://bcnsociety.com/bcn-resources/

If you navigate down the page displayed "books maps and videos" it shows the PDF blue book that you can view online or download. Also some great pictures on this site. There is a section on guaging on the BCN with a drop down database. I know my great grandfather was a boatman and worked for W Swingler, not certain of the name of his barge

Last edited:
Farmers Bridge Lock , James Brindley Walk Birmingham, with the cranes that use to load and offload goods and materials when the canals were distribution routes around the UK
Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• D16BE568-3E84-4D33-A068-3C50BB7CD8C6.jpeg
    D16BE568-3E84-4D33-A068-3C50BB7CD8C6.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 21
Back