• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

O

O.C.

Not much on the forum about the canals which played a big part in out lives
Any Questions you have on the canals of Birmingham we will try to answer
Here is a photo of a canal boatman touching up the paintwork on his barge in 1947
Bottom pic shows the old barge horse earning his living by pulling the barges along the cut (Canal) at a leisurely pace

Re: Canals of Brum

Crommie, nice pictures. I'm glad you use the word "barge" O0 - I was corrected by some knowall on another website for not calling the powered boat a narrow boat and the motorless thing that it tows a butty.

Anyway, that's bye-the-bye, this is a great topic as I've always been fascinated by the cuts around Brum. Besides Black Patch Park, the cut and the railway bank were my favourite hang-outs as a child... still are if I get the chance.

As kids one of our favourite tricks (cruel, I know and we deserved to be thrashed for it) was firing a catpult at the towing 'oss ass, from a bridge to see if we could make him bolt. Another was emptying cans of water from the bridge onto the bargee steering at the back. Many's the time I've escaped by the skin of my teeth from being battered with a long barge-pole when the enraged bloke came after us. I was quick in those days.

Here are a couple of photos of my own, which, understandably, are not quite as old as yours.

This Bride & Groom must have shared our interest in the cut to have their wedding pictures taken there in 1992...

CanalNewlyWeds02.jpg

Then there's this barking bargee...

GasSt9202a.jpg
(sorry if I've posted that one before) :-\

This was taken from Newhall Street with the old Science Museum (remember that) on the right...

NwhlSt9205a.jpg

Of course things have changed over the years since the 'oss drawn days...

CanalView01.jpg

Wonder what the old bargees would make of all this trendy stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

Oisin, Great pics its great that they made the cut a feature instead of filling it in (as that would not have surprised me ) I use to live in the old Science Museum which always fascinated me,sad when it went
I have a few old pics of before they changed Gas St which I will sort out but need to update the Great War Threads first

One of my g.g. grandfathers was a Boatman at Foleshill near Coventry on the 1841 census.

Ray's family were also boat people from Darlaston, they were a tough lot, raising seven daughters and and an "adopted" son on the barge, his g. grandad used to fight bare fisted until one of them was exhausted just for money thrown into a hat.  Sometimes he was so badly hurt he couldn't work for a couple of weeks.  They only packed up when their horse slipped on ice into the canal and died, the family then walked from Darlaston to Birmingham pushing all their belongings on a handcart.

Hard to believe the conditions they lived in and raised families in a space of 6ft by 6ft. the rest of the space was for the valuable cargo (coal etc.)
I took a barge down from Alverchurch to Oxford and it took me a week to get their but I stopped at every pub I passed
I will tell ya about it a bit later down the line

The older Canals had many problems with seepage. This one back in the 70s .
(shame no little boy was around willing to put his finger in the hole :2funny:)
A photo taken from our local news paper.

I was born in Birmingham and lived there for thirty years. Although there is a lot of canal mileage there and around the country generally I cant really say that they were a major feature of my childhood. In fact I think people visiting Birmingham may not have noticed one at all. It is mainly because of this site and following along the canals on GE that I became aware of the major feature of transportation that they used to be. Add to this the dates of their heyday and I realised that they may have had a major influence on world history not just around this area. Although their heyday was not over a very long period it may have been significant. Another site of a modern nature is below. Click on cruises and you might enjoy a trip with modern day voyageures. It's possible they are used now more than ever. Mostly for leisure.

https://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/maps/

Thanks for all the above info. just take a look at this photo of the men hard at work dredging the mud and rubbish out of the canal at Salford Bridge in 1913. what a back breaking job

Gas Street Basin 1976, the church spire with top cut off is the Church Of the Messiah which was built across the canal on Broad St at the time pic was taken the church was derelict
Second pic shows the church on Broad St which was built in 1860-2

I found this picture today on display, so I photographed it, a child leading a gentle giant.

Great Photo of work going on in the 1930's Underpinning The Grand Union Canal Aqueduct going over the River Rea by Fazeley St. Note the rotted buttress on the right and the ladder balanced on the pipe (or to hold it up) No health and safety and they got the job done
Photo two is a Camera returns picture taken 2007

Last edited by a moderator:

Great picture Cromwell, my second love, canals, look forward to reading more on this thread.  :smitten:
                                                                  :flower: :cat:

Great Oisin But just look at this photo, the Barge ( Narrow boat to some) (always will be a Barge to me)
In Gas Street Basin Came From The River Severn here is a great pic of a river steamer towing a load and eight barges to the canal system then on to Brum and other destinations (note the kids sitting on the barge in bottom left)

If you use Google Earth and are at a loose end sometime, zoom in on a canal and follow it. It's amazing how far you can go. Sometimes the canal may dissappear underground or join a river but persevere and you will pick it up again. Much of the system of canals in the UK are in fine detail. I followed the system pretty much continuously to the North Sea one afternoon. Maybe I should get a life hey. It's interesting though. You can go from Birmingham to London if you skip some of the parts that are not in fine detail. You can also follow some places that have been filled in. The run of the canal can still be seen on the ground. There is still some 2000 MILES!! yes miles EU, being used mostly for recreation now. Actually in this manner they are more busy than ever in their history. The following site with pictures and description of travels is great. Click on the cruises logo on the side and take a trip with the two intrepid voyageurs and their adopted cats.

https://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/maps/

Regards.

Rupert Never at a loose end so never use it but I suppose if I did everything else would go by the board
I do to much reading
It was really quite amazing how the canals bought the cost of living down in Brum.
In 1786 coal was 13 shillings a ton and bought from the mining districts in long trains of coal wagons sometimes stretching along the dangerous roads for nearly a mile
One of my "History Heroes" the uneducated James Brindley was a genius for overcoming engineering difficulties so he must have had quite a reputation to be called upon to build a canal from the coal mines of Wolverhampton to Birmingham which was opened the day after bonfire night in 1769, bonfires were lit on the wharfs, bands played music and folk danced and sang in a carnival atmosphere as the first coal barges came into the docks.
Overnight the price of coal came down to 8 shillings and 4 pennies a ton and at a stroke the coal wagons disappeared almost overnight

In reply 11, 'child leading a gentle giant' you can see that part of the harness was wooden bobbins, does anyone know if there was a reason for them, or were they just for decoration?

They had a purpose Nick it was to stop the rope chaffing the horse if the rope went near the horse it would roll on the bobbins if ya get my drift

Hey crommie, what's that big square, raft thingy in the picture? I've never seen anything like that on a cut. It musta been a right pig to tow.

Yeah, it's amazing what old JB did when you consider the highly trained, well "educated" engineers of today can't put a footbridge up over the Thames that won't come down in a breeze.

I think it is two barges lashed together to transport a large load but as we aint got a clear picture its hard to say what it is

JUST SITTING HERE LOOKING AT THE OLD PHOTO,S OF THE CUT
BRINGING MY CHILD HOOD MEMORIES FLOODING BACK TO ME ,
I MUST HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS OF HOURS ON THAT STRETCH OF THE CANNAL
WITH MY FRIENDS , WHEN I WAS A NIPPER,
WHAT WE DECIDED TO DO ONE DAY WAS TO MAKE AN HOOK WITH A STEEL BAR
AND CONNECT IT TO A LONG PIECE OF ROPE , AND WE WOULD GO DOWN TO THE LEDSAM STREET END
AND THROW THE HOOK OUT TO THE MIDDLE AND DRAGG IT BACK ,
TO SEE IF WE COULD FIND ANY BIKES , AND LORD AND BEHOLD WE FOUND PLENTY OF THEM
SOME WAS JUST FRAMES , OR SOME WITH ONE OR TWO WHEELS ON , OR JUST THE ODD WHEEL
BUT EVENTUALY WE MANAGE TO ALL GET A BIKE OF SOME DISCRIPTION ,
WE COULD FISH THEM OUT REGUALARLY , AND WHAT WE ALSO USED TO DO
WAS TO TAKE THEM AROUND THE BLOCK TO THE OLD LADYWOOD POLICE STATION ,
AND WE ALWAYS THOUGHT IF WE TAKE THEM IN AFTER 6 MONTHS THEY WOULD BE OURS ,, -
NOT LIKELY , WE NEVER HEARD A SAUSAGE FROM THEM ,,
ONE DAY WE FISHED OUT A RALEIGH MOPED RUN ABOUT OUT OF THERE
AND TOOK THAT .
SOME DAYS WE ONLY DRAGGED OUT SCRAP METAL ,
WE USED TO LEAVE IT SCATTERED ALL OVER THE TOW PATH THERE WAS TONS OF IT SOME DAYS ,
BUT WE USED TO TO WORRY AND FRIGHENED BY THE BIG GREY SHIRE HORESES ,
WE WAS ONLY LITTLE WIPPER SNAPPERS WITH LITTLE LEGS
THESE HORESES COULD REALLY MOVE FAST TOWING THOSE BARGES ,
THEY WAS ON TOP OF US BEFORE YOU COULD BLINK
WE WAS SO ENGROSSED BY WHAT WE WAS DOING WE SOMTIME S NEVER HEARD OR SEEING THEM COMING
AND VERY NEARLY GOT TRAMPLED ON BY THESEGREAT BIG HORESES,
WE CAME ON THE CUT BY THE NO, 8 CIRCLE CLOCK IN ENTRANCE , AND WALK
TOWARD GAS STREET FIRST PASSING LEDSAM PASSING OLD CLARKIES SCRAP YARD
WHOM GATES WAS IN LEDSAM ST
, BUT HE HAD A WATER EXIT INTO HIS YARD WE WOULD WALK AND BALANCE DOWN THE BRIDGE ARCH WAY
IF HE HAD A BARGE MOORING AND UNLEASH IT AND LET IT FLOAT DOWN THE CUT TO WARD THE OLD FEEDER TOWARDS SMETHWICK ,OR GAS STREET WHAT EVER WAY THE WINDS WAS BLOWING
IF WE DID NOT GO TOWARDS GAS STREET , WE WOULD GO THE OPPERSITE WAY TO WARDS WINSON GREEN , OR UP TO TIPTON PASSING SMETHWICK , AND THE OLD FEEDER WHERE THE CENTRAL LOCKS WAS
AND IN THE GATE KEEPER HOUSE WAS A GENTLEMAM NAMED RALPH
WHOM LIVED IN THERE AND WE PLAY HIM UP AND HE WOULD CHASE US DOWN THE CUT
AND AS WE PROGRESSED TOWARD THE WEST BROMWICH AND TIPTON AREA ,
WE CAME ACROSS THE STABLES WHERE THEY KEPT THOSE BIG GREY SHIRE HORSES
WE STARTED TO NOSE UP THIS EXIT IT WAS A LITTLE SLOPE , WE DID,NT RELIZE
IT WAS THE STABLES WE SRAW ON THE FLOOR OF THE SLOPE ,
AND WHEN WE GOT TO THE TOP OF THE SLOPE ,
WE WAS CONFRONTED BY A WHOPPING BIG GREY HORES
AND THEN HE CLOCKED US , AND HE BOLTED TOWARDS US AND CHASE US ALONG THE CANNAL ,
WE COULD,NT RUN FAST ENOUGH MY LITTLE HEART WAS POUNDING
BECAUSE I WAS THE TITCH OF THE GANG AND THE OTHERS WAS OLDER THAN ME AND BIGGER
SO THEY COULD RUN FASTER THAN ME , I KEPT LOOKING OVER MY SHOULDER AS I WAS RUNNING
AND I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO GET ME , IT WAS A SHOCK TO MY SYSTEM ,
AND ONE DAY WE WAS PASSING THROUGH CLISSOLD STREET HOCKLEY
WHEN WE SEEN THE COAL BARGE TAKING COAL TO CLISSOLD STREET WHARF
WE SHOUTED \TO THE BOAT MAN WHAT THE HORESES NAME MATE
AND HE SAID CHARLIE ,
WHEN YOU WALK ALONG CLISSOLD ST, AND CLISSOLD PASSAGE TO TOWARDS THE WHARF
FROM DUDLEY ROAD ONTO CLISSOLD ST , THE ONLY SEPERATION BETWEEN US AND THEM IS ONE IRON BAR
RAILING WHICH WAS ONLY 3 FEET HIGH , ANY WAY WE ROARD AT THE HORES
AND SHOUTED CHARLIE ,
BY GOLLY WE GOT A SHOCH WHEN WE SEEN THIS GREAT BIG SHIRE HORES SHREIKRD ,
AND WENT UP HIGH ON HIS BACK LEGS AND TURNED TO US AND BOLTED ,
THE BOATMAN DONE HIS NUT , HE WAVED HIS FIST TO US AND SHOUTING ABUSE TO US
WE SCARPERD FAST DOWN COLLEDGE RD ,
BUT MANY ATIME WE WOULD TAKE ARIDE ON A BARGE , NOT THE ONES WITH THE ENGINE
BUT THE OLD COAL CARRIERS THEY WAS OFTEN LEFT HERE AND THERE IN THEM DAYS ,
AND WHEN WE GOT FED UP WE WOULD GO IN THE OLD BOMBED HOUSE, AFTER THE WAR
DOWN LEDSAM STREET IN THE CELLARS LOOKING FOR WAR HELMETS OR WHAT EVER WE COULD FIND
EVEN THE OLD GAS MASKED WE FOUNF PLENTY OFF ,

:-X
REGARDING THE UNDERPINNING OF THE CANAL O'er THE RIVER REA, 1937, FAZELEY STREET LOCALE:
WHERE, PRAY, IS THE RIVER? AN ASTONISHING STUDY ALTOGETHER. OF COURSE CONSIDERING THE CANAL WAS DONE THE 1700s IT IS HARDLY SURPRISING SOME SUCH RADICAL STRUCTURAL UPKEEP BE NECESSARY. IT IS THE GRAND UNION, THOUGH THE MAIN TRUNK OBTAINS SOUTH BY A FEW PACES. I DON'T WHICH IS THE LEAST DISTANCE FROM THERE. LIKELY THE ONE VIA THE FORMER BSA PLANT, SMALL HEATH. (ANOTHER SABOTAGE BY SOCIOPATHS.)

MARVELLOUS SNAP OF STEAMER TOWING A FEW NARROW BOATS [7' WIDTH] ALONG NARROW STRETCH OF THE SEVERN. (A DANGEROUS RIVER BECAUSE OF THE BORES.)
IS THIS CORRECT? THE ACCESS TO THE BCN AND SURROUND WAS VIA STRATFORD UP AVON?
I RECALL WHEN THE CANAL WAS REOPENED TO LAPWORTH (AS A WEE LAD) THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IT WAS SO POSSIBLE TO ACCESS THE SEVERN AND OF COURSE IF A PERSON WAS UTTERLY BONKERS IN A NARROW BOAT, MAKE TO THE BRISTOL CHANNEL. I KNEW A CHAP WHO SOLD A NARROW BOAT (A 14' BEAM WOULD BE LESS HAZARDOUS) OUT OF BIRMINGHAM BY MAKING THAT TRIP! I FORGET WHERE HE CONSIGNED IT, THOUGH HE LIVED TO SPIN A YARN. (FACT)

excellent px

hmid, To answer your first question if you take a closer look their is a double tunnel and the Rea went through that.....I should imagine ......but they was darn clever in them days......all the skills and tricks have been lost.........
The Boats coming up the Severn would have gone through Worc. and into Brum that way but equally could have branched right onto the Avon and come up to Brum, I will post a canal map later.
Did you see the prog. Waterworld were that chap took his barge over to France from the Thames.......
Pic.shows winter on the cut in the 1900's hanging out the washing

Hmid, map showing how we could reach the coast in land locked Brum

this is the boatmans mission at tipton, my ancesters on my grandmothers side were all boatmen

That's a very clear map Cromwell had posted showing the canal access from Brum, although it doesn't tell the whole story of course. The important thing to me is that Birmingham was at the front of the nation's (or the Empire's) industrial energy, and at the time could rely only on poor roads and tracks to supply all the raw materials and food for the town's needs, and to export the products, of course. Although they were primitive and inefficient by modern standards, Brindley's canals were a terrific development, and it is sad that he burned himself out so quickly, dying before much of his brainchild was ready.
Peter

It must have been a busy world in those days. Boat companies must have had their time cut out to control delivery and pick up of loads. Routing, boat maintenance. The health of their horses and their feeding. Pay and supplies for the boat people. Canal tolls. As much work as modern day FedEx perhaps. If you brought a load of raw material to Brum, you would want to return with another load somewhere else. Head office must have been humming. Since industry seemed to locate next to or close to a canal much of the delivery would have been direct from site to site. The boats also provided a home of sorts for the operators and their families. Although a bit cramped it may have been prefferable to life in the smokey city of the time, who knows. At least you would be in the fresh air in the countryside a good part of the time. As the rail networks developed much of the business was taken away but the canals were still key for some industries.
There was a short space of time when they ruled and it is possible that these years were important for the UK then. I wonder how they managed to move all the dirt without the heavy machinery that we have today. Some of the system used existing rivers but much did not.

Back