• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cricket for Gen Z. There’s women’s teams and men’s, loads of razzmatazz. It’s not cricket as we knew it, but it is fast and furious. My daughter 22 loved it her younger brother even stopped gaming on his phone to watch. If it is too much T20 or the Indian leagues on TV are more traditional. But 100 game has been a success. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57899712

The Indian leagues are far from boring if you have any interest in the game at all. The 100 looks as if it has brought in a new audience. It isn’t cricket as we know it, but is its own thing.

I think it's each to his or her own, as far as sport is concerned and particularly as far as televised sport is concerned. I myself, having played football, cricket, golf and rugby, now only watch these and other sports. I could probably watch them on television until the cows come home, but I don't (I tend to record quite a bit to watch later), because I can appreciate that having to sit through it, would drive my wife to distraction (as would watching some of the programmes that she enjoys, do for me :))!

Having looked at the BBC 1 schedules for Friday (the first day of the Games), it does seem they have gone way over the top with their coverage (particularly hot on the heels of Wimbledon). The games are on air from 9.15 - 13.00, 13.45 - 18.00, 21.00 - 22.00 & from 22.40 - 23.40. That's ten hours in total. I feel for Mike's boredom threshold in the coming days....;) Let the Games commence, along with the battles for the remote!!

Thank you John. But you missed out all the women's football in your list. Mind you, as I was saying to someone the other day, according to some reports on our local news in the south (where apparently there are some local school teams), it is suggested that e-sports (fancy name for kids too lazy to get out of their chairs who play games online) might one day become Olympic "sports" !!!. That would be another thing to bore me on top of all the others :weary_face:

I've been watching the ladies football and cricket, the lady footballers are far better skilled than the men and don't lie down crying at every tackle trying to cheat the referee into giving a foul. :)

Good Luck to the ladies in the SF tonight !

And considering they are women they have no 'prima-donnas'. :grinning:
My wife and I watched a game earlier this week, Nashville FC against Cincinnati. Lots of support here for a new team. However few are US players. Both coaches were British, the play was quite good although it seemed that the players and coaches all went to acting school! I never remember it being like that at the Hawthorne's, Villa Park or Molineux and the only time we had substitutions was when someone got hurt.
I guess I must be getting old!

“Meet the Hometown Heroes – the volunteers, coaches, managers, and grafters who work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep grassroots sport alive. They’re the local champions making a real difference in the West Midlands. Read their stories on this page.”

Just watched the opening ceremonies! Made me feel proud! An excellent show and a great performance by Duran Duran, who I'm hoping to get to meet when they play in Toronto in August. My friend plays keys in the opening act CHIC, who you probably know, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Dave A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back