• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars with a link to the Midlands are being sought for the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games. roughly about 70 cars made locally are wanted for the parade at the Launch of the Games. They are particularly interested in rarer local cars. Participants are expected to be available for rehearsals with their cars on 7 dates in July. A mileage rate and food and drink will be available. There is a deadline for interested participants which is 27th May. If anyone is interested
email: [email protected]

I think the Rusty Man would look well outside the new station...
Bromsgrove opened a new station with lifts costing £24M a couple of years ago as a comparison for costs. Let's hope that the local facilities can be improved give people a reason for going there once the games are over.

I think the Rusty Man would look well outside the new station...
Bromsgrove opened a new station with lifts costing £24M a couple of years ago as a comparison for costs. Let's hope that the local facilities can be improved give people a reason for going there once the games are over.
well i did not want to say it stokkie but as you have touched on it i think it looks like a rusty old bucket and had not realised it had been finished:D:D.. but they say this is the new look these days

lyn

well i did not want to say it stokkie but as you have touched on it i think it looks like a rusty old bucket and had not realised it had been finished:D:D.. but they say this is the new look these days

lyn
Rust is the new designer look! We have not seen the inside yet, wonder what it will look like. A few bob spent on the underground bit of New Street Station could improve the main station appearance, but I imagine there's no money.

Derek

Rust is the new designer look! We have not seen the inside yet, wonder what it will look like. A few bob spent on the underground bit of New Street Station could improve the main station appearance, but I imagine there's no money.

Derek
i saw the inside on the news earlier and it did not look that special..maybe when the games are over i will take a closer look

lyn

I only hope that the competitors and visitors arriving at International airport take the train to Birmingham because the A45 is strewn with litter at all times as are many of the roads close to the stadium.

lyn
A lot of local folks are saying it looks like a used teabag with its holes and colouring

I cannot see where £30m has been spent!
I would be ashamed if I was having to sign off this contract, and who agreed to the planning permission. What happens when the rust has washed off the panels onto the pavement. Alf.C

I don't find the look of the building to be pleasing, but I suspect that the 'rust' is really a weather resistant coating. 'Gold' finishes were popular in the recent past, the roof of Worcester's The Hive for example. But while touted as self-cleaning, the 'gold' looks dirty already. I suspect that the finish of the new station is intended not to show dirt. If that's a sort of good news though, the true cost is £30.9 million which in my book is closer to £31M.

University station is being refurbished at a cost of £56M, it carries many more passengers and is used by people going to the hospital not just the university. It has not closed and I'm not sure if the work is due to be completed before the games as originally planned. It is an attractive building though and contains a new bridge over the canal.

University station is being refurbished at a cost of £56M, it carries many more passengers and is used by people going to the hospital not just the university. It has not closed and I'm not sure if the work is due to be completed before the games as originally planned. It is an attractive building though and contains a new bridge over the canal.
where is this stokkie....i have not heard of this new station...must be slipping

lyn

as most of you know the old shops opposite perry barr station was recently demolished...outside those shops was where pc walker died and this memorial to him was laid where he fell in the line of duty.....it was removed when the shops were demolished so i sincerely hope it is going to be put back..i will be going past on thursday so i will take a look

lyn

memorial day pc walker.jpgmemorial pc walker.jpg

Last edited:
It's not new Lyn. Just being refurbished - possibly why it slipped under your radar.
Yes, Janice. The 'old' station forms the passenger entrance to the much larger new station. I heard talk on the train that the university contributed to the cost. I don't know, said to be a significant contribution. Hockey and Squash competitions are there for the games. It is designed to handle 7.2 million passengers a year. My daughter, a student midwife, currently uses it every day to work at the Women's Hosp. The nearby Barber Institute deserves to be better known too. A free art gallery. Derek,

Last edited:
as most of you know the old shops opposite perry barr station was recently demolished...outside those shops was where pc walker died and this memorial to him was laid where he fell in the line of duty.....it was removed when the shops were demolished so i sincerely hope it is going to be put back..i will be going past on thursday so i will take a look

lyn

View attachment 170533View attachment 170534
i hope so too in memory of such a courageous person.

https://www.polfed.org/westmids/latest-news/2021/remembering-pc-malcolm-walker/

I was driving back home through Perry Barr last night and said to my wife, "I wonder if they are doing any roadworks tonight?" There was not a soul to be seen, just cone, after cone and an awful lot of work still to be done in an increasingly diminishing number of days. I know it is a long weekend and a bank holiday, but I had thought there would still in the circumstances, have been a bit of work going on, or don't they want to pay double/treble time to get the work done? The road system at Perry Barr is going to be a shambles for the Games isn't it? :rolleyes:

I was driving back home through Perry Barr last night and said to my wife, "I wonder if they are doing any roadworks tonight?" There was not a soul to be seen, just cone, after cone and an awful lot of work still to be done in an increasingly diminishing number of days. I know it is a long weekend and a bank holiday, but I had thought there would still in the circumstances, have been a bit of work going on, or don't they want to pay double/treble time to get the work done? The road system at Perry Barr is going to be a shambles for the Games isn't it? :rolleyes:
john i came through perry barr yesterday afternoon..not a workman in sight...the memorial to pc walker has not been put back as yet...i will be going past again next week so will take another look and report back

lyn

Derek, the two design firms that have been engaged are as good as it gets!
Richard, you mean of University station? I think that it is interesting that the brief probably specified that the original station facade be retained. The design language of the building is readable by the public (is it brick clad?) and the approach from university campus I find warm and attractive. The university clearly see it as an entrance to their campus. By two you mean Associated Architects and Mott MacDonald and Node?

By contrast Perry Barr station is difficult to read and unwelcoming to non-designers/architects? Perhaps because of the materials and finish? And the context, though Perry Barr will have altered massively since I was last there. To my eye, Perry Barr could be the more avant-garde building, but is unlikely to be loved by the public. I ought to see them both for myself though.

Derek

Last edited:
Richard, you mean of University station? I think that it is interesting that the brief probably specified that the original station facade be retained. The design language of the building is readable by the public (is it brick clad?) and the approach from university campus I find warm and attractive. The university clearly see it as an entrance to their campus. By two you mean Associated Architects and Mott MacDonald and Node?

By contrast Perry Barr station is difficult to read and unwelcoming to non-designers/architects? Perhaps because of the materials and finish? And the context, though Perry Barr will have altered massively since I was last there. To my eye, Perry Barr could be the more avant-garde building, but is unlikely to be loved by the public. I ought to see them both for myself though.

Derek
Derek, yes & yes! Associated and Mott accentuate the design and functionality much the way Honda & Toyota do ( and are now copied by most) By getting the design and function right you usually end up with something that looks and works well.
I have a good friend whose son is a design architect who reports the difficulty of dealing with public entities. They hire good design firms and then don’t listen. Then there are the changes and more changes that cost lots of £££££ and missed completion dates!

Derek, yes & yes! Associated and Mott accentuate the design and functionality much the way Honda & Toyota do ( and are now copied by most) By getting the design and function right you usually end up with something that looks and works well.
I have a good friend whose son is a design architect who reports the difficulty of dealing with public entities. They hire good design firms and then don’t listen. Then there are the changes and more changes that cost lots of £££££ and missed completion dates!
Richard, I worked for a time with a colleague who was an architect. She told me that the atrium of New Street Station had been disowned by the architect because they had saved money by using PVC fabric, instead of finishing with plasterboard as intended. Now I always notice the creases and eventually it will look a different shade too. We tend to blame the architects, but in reality it is a more complex story. But this is for another thread. Derek

A statement for Birmingham City Council said it was "always open to exploring further opportunities to showcase Birmingham on the international stage. It added: "We are therefore open to working with the UK government and other stakeholders to investigate the potential for hosting the Eurovision Song Contest."

Sadly, like all these huge events, it will lose money, so in addition to the residents being inconvenienced, they will end up contributing to that loss, and in a matter of weeks afterwards, the whole event will be forgotten.

Maurice
Had nearly 3 years of dirt, noise and lights next to Stadium. Athletics village was never going to be that! Perry Barr 'new' station looks a rust bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back