• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hereford has a big bull stature, cast in bronze. He has no name and some have moaned that he's the wrong colour for his breed. He is more anatomically correct, but has never breathed fire. There are a few bull statures scattered over the Midlands, but non as grand as our commonwealth bull. [Photo from my wife]
f85da528-d32b-4985-9ef1-26e935ddf7d3.jpeg

Has anybody taken notice of the additional buses in the City for the various events? There are shuttle buses dedicated to spectators and also for staff getting to the venues as parking at the venues is restricted.

The logistics of the need for additional buses seems to have led to a number brought in from elsewhere. There is the driving issue, maintenance and control. Which garages are used and are there additional facilities? There seems to have been a staff facility at the JLR Castle Bromwich and Solihull

Has anybody taken notice of the additional buses in the City for the various events? There are shuttle buses dedicated to spectators and also for staff getting to the venues as parking at the venues is restricted.

The logistics of the need for additional buses seems to have led to a number brought in from elsewhere. There is the driving issue, maintenance and control. Which garages are used and are there additional facilities? There seems to have been a staff facility at the JLR Castle Bromwich and Solihull
I noticed shuttle buses from Morecambe, Newcastle, Margate, Cambridge, Leven and there were many, many more... "Coach & Bus Week" reported on 26/7:

Over the last few weeks Stagecoach has been amassing Alexander Dennis Enviro MMC models from around the country at its two ‘pop-up’ bus depots in Erdington and Oldbury, which will fuel, wash and clean 341 and 269 buses respectively, operating under the firm’s Midland Red (South) operator’s licence. A number of Enviro200MMCs have received interior modifications at Alexander Dennis, which required the removal of some of the seating in the low floor area to allow multiple wheelchair spaces to be added.

This is all in preparation for the opening of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, which opens on Thursday 28 July and closes on Monday 8 August. Prior to the opening of the games, Stagecoach drivers have been delivering vehicles from the firm’s operating companies to the two sites in order to carry out extensive training on the various routes that will serve Alexander Stadium, Arena Birmingham, Cannock Chase, Coventry Stadium, Edgbaston Stadium, Sandwell Aquatics Centre, Smithfield, Sutton Park, St. Nicholas Park, the National Exhibition Centre and the University of Birmingham.

Games spectators will be able to travel free to the venues with a valid Commonwealth Games ticket. In addition, megabus is also providing coaches under contract to Birmingham 2022 that will also operate shuttle services. These are a mix of the company’s own Caetano Levante and Plaxton Elite i coaches, supported by a large number of extra vehicles hired in from other operators such as Angies Tours, Freestones Coaches, First Bus-owned Truronian, West Coast Motors and more. In common with the London 2012 Olympics, any company fleet names have been covered over on both coaches and buses, and panel security tape has been applied.

We have a stocky bull standing in a field in Canterbury which represents the tanning industry around Canterbury. He doesn’t move, just looks wistfully into the distance. Bull hides were thought to be better than cow hides. I know the Brum bull (in the Bull Ring, not the new one) is assiciated with bull baiting, but couldn’t it too represent tanning ? Viv.

10546B9D-3F3A-43BC-97CE-7C93C2CBDCBB.jpeg

Although there were tanners in Birmingham , I do not think it was ever a particularly large industry compared to elsewhere, for example Walsall or
Leeds. By better do you mean more long-lasting, or smoother or softer?

Better quality Mike. It was supposed to have been used for the House of Lords seating and Rolls Royce interiors. Viv.

For members living in Birmingham, what are the positives coming out of Birmingham hosting the Games? There must be lots of good things to say. Sounds to me (generally and from a distance) that it’s a very well-run event. Is that the experience for those living there ? Are there any noticeable spin-offs? Viv.

For members living in Birmingham, what are the positives coming out of Birmingham hosting the Games? There must be lots of good things to say. Sounds to me (generally and from a distance) that it’s a very well-run event. Is that the experience for those living there ? Are there any noticeable spin-offs? Viv.

Attendance-wise the Games appear to have been a success. All events seem to have had good crowds which I said previously is pleasing.

I went to the triathlon which was good and if I was a bit more organised I could have gone to more. I like (most) sport and I've enjoyed watching what I like. I find main BBC coverage annoying, too much inane chat, but luckily the streams have been available.

I don't live close to Perry Barr so I haven't been affected but I can imagine it's been irritating for people that have been. There were lots of people in Boldmere between the triathlon races so I expect the shops did a good trade and with luck that was replicated at other events.

Sounds promising. It would be great if local shops, food retailers etc do well from it after the terrible effects of Covid on small businesses. And it’ll be interesting to see if it inspires more young brummies to take up sport. Hope sports providers are prepared for that. This is an opportunity for Birmingham to make of the most of this uplift and it’s ongoing impact. Viv.

I have not heard or read, anything negative about our staging of the games on the Radio, TV or in the newspapers, in fact it's all been very positive. It is great that it was so well supported and I think that visitors, will have left with a good impression of the city. I have to admit that I feel a little bit proud of how well the city has come across over the past few days.

That’s a great facility Lyn. With history already made by it hosting some events of the Commonwealth Games, it should have a bright future. The building and facilities standard must be high and so lends itself to attracting other key sporting events as well as inspiring youngsters and the next generation of sports men and women.

John, it’s good to hear that. There’s too much negativity banded around about Birmingham, time to celebrate its capability. Every reason to feel proud ! Viv.

the new aquatic centre a sandwell is not going to open to the general public until june 2023...

Thanks Lyn,
I was spoiled with Thimblemill Baths at the bottom of my road as a child. I think that they and Langley Baths will go? It is great to see a 50 metre pool and they are converting the facility to family swimming. I loved jumping from a high board and later diving. Of course many accidents are associated with diving and most public pools don't have a board. I see there will be 'Dry Diving' which I read about on the London Aquatics Centre site. https://www.londonaquaticscentre.org/diving/dry_diving
But there is certainly a need for Midlands children to be able to swim. I live within 50 yards of a canal in Worcestershire.

A great facility and in Smethwick too! Derek

That’s a great facility Lyn. With history already made by it hosting some events of the Commonwealth Games, it should have a bright future. The building and facilities standard must be high and so lends itself to attracting other key sporting events as well as inspiring youngsters and the next generation of sports men and women.

John, it’s good to hear that. There’s too much negativity banded around about Birmingham, time to celebrate its capability. Every reason to feel proud ! Viv.
i agree viv...always said not enough is done for the youngsters and how many times on this forum have we reported that our swimming baths in birmingham alone have closed...my only hope is that there is no hold up to giving the public access and most of all we do not want to hear that in 5 years time it turns out that the money is not there to keep it open...fingers crossed

lyn

Anyone know where the Games participants are being accommodated ? And are there other stadiums/pools/courts where they’ve been training in the run up to their events ? I ask this because it must spread the benefits beyond the main events. Viv.

Anyone know where the Games participants are being accommodated ? And are there other stadiums/pools/courts where they’ve been training in the run up to their events ? I ask this because it must spread the benefits beyond the main events. Viv.
They have stayed at Birmingham & Warwick Universities and at the NEC hotel campus. I also here the Scottish team were at the College of Food.

Thanks John. That’s good that the benefits are being felt across the City and further afield. A little boost to those centres and hotels involved. It’s easy to forget the positive knock-on effects of these less obvious services provided. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back