• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temple Row

The round building - do you mean the one on the left hand side of Christchurch? That is the Panorama (I think it was called that) and there was a very long thread about that a year or so ago. The picture has to be painted post 1813 as that was the year Christchurch was consecrated. I have seen a couple of pictures from this angle, but not one as early as this. I think it is lovely.

That would be Temple Street going down to New Street. Waterloo Street has not yet been cut at the date of the painting

That now makes sense David. I'd looked at an old map and Waterloo Street seemed to me to be at the wrong angle to feature in Samuel Lines's painting. So that's cleared that one up for me, thanks. Looking a bit more at the painting, there's a wall going around St. Phillip's churchyard. Seems unimaginable now as in my memory it's always been iron railings. Viv.

Seeing that photo of the old red post box, reminded me that on the corner of Temple Row and Needless alley, we had an old Queen Victorian post box, and it was still there a number of years ago, proberbly the only one left now, so I was wondering if any of you know if its still there ? If anyone passes it by one day, I wonder if a photo could be taken and posted on the thread, as that is real history for us.

The only red post box I got from the top of Needless Alley was this E II R one.

Red Post Box on Temple Row West by ell brown, on Flickr

Haven't see a VR one here, but recently found one in Bournville - had a horseshoe shape on top of it.

Laburnum Road, Bournville - former red post box - VR by ell brown, on Flickr

This was the type of post box positioned outside post offices. The horseshoe shape on top would have held a circular plate with the words POST OFFICE and an arrow pointing to the post office.

Oldest post box I know in the area is a VR post box with a vertical slit in the centre of Warwick.

Until recently there was an E VII R post box in Calthorpe Road, Five Ways but that has been replaced with a modern box.

For anyone interested in the Old Royal Hotel in Temple Row, here's a link to The Deerstalker Magazine, 1953 which has a small article and a drawing of the hotel. You'll need to scroll down a little way to reach "M&B Houses, The Old Royal, Temple Row". Interesting little piece on the hotel. Viv.

https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/breweries/mitchellsandbutlers/deerstalker/1953-April-May.htm

I found this plate of 1830 which tells us that the Royal Hotel in Temple Row was once the business of a Wilday & Co but by 1830 was the business of a Mr Dee. I think Wilday went on to open another hotel in New St by 1830. Viv.

Dee_s_Royal_Hotel_Temple_Row_1830.JPG

Dennis,
I have only just come across this thread on the Forum and it is facinating.
Not sure if you remember me, I knew your Dad and delivered milk to Union Chambers for some years to him and yourself and later your Brother in Bennetts Hill. I seem to remember my Father first delivered to Union Chambers 63 Temple Row before the dairy (Birmingham Daries) reorganised the rounds in the City and I then took over and delivered for several years, until around 1981. My Dad left the dairy to become a caretaker down the road from you at Rutland House on the corner of Edmund Street and Church Street, unfortunately he died 12 months later and myself and my Mum were asked to take over, probably made me one of the youngest caretakers in Town at the age of 21!
It's good to see you're still around, keep the memories coming.

No, I think you have it wrong. Were these old awful buildings not replaced by the more modern Rackhams and that building is still there. If I am right the Georgian buildings in the photo are also represented in the advertising etching background left post #102...Royal Hotel which was almost opposite The Great Western Passage.
Gone...gone...gone...in the swing of a big ball.

Last edited:
well i cant be dead certain rupert..i will be in the city centre prob on friday so will take a look unless someone else can confirm..

These went in a straight line from where Rackhams stands to the corner of Cherry Street (might have been a longer row, but I only remember a shortish sweep of them). I remember Margaret Tregonning, the flower shop, was in one of these, flowers displayed up the steps outside. I would almost give my right arm to live in a property like this. It is a pity they had to go, but like many other buildings, were demolished in a time when other uses for buildings was not thought of. Such a pity.

thanks shortie...i remember that flower shop..used it a couple of times...i would say its more than a pity that those buildings went..

lyn

Was the flowershop on the corner? I too seem to remember a georgian shop with steps up to it, just further along from Rackhams going towards Temple Street. I also think it might have been a boutique at one time. But not 100% certain about that. Viv.

yes viv you are quite right..the flower shop building is still there on the corner...i will get a pic of it on friday...

Request to Mike. Could you please pinpoint the position of houses 29-31 Temple Row 1954 this would help to verify if they have been demolished or not. thank you.Dek

If I remember rightly, they were demolished for the building of the TSB and another building. They are definitely not there now, I worked opposite at St Phillips Place for several years from 1989, and they were not there when I commenced work there.

Viv - you are right, the shop was on the corner of Cherry Street, right where the TSB was. I also seem to remember a sweet shop - possibly Thorntons, just inside Cherry Street, can someone clarify that please?

I've had a look on Streetview and I have a feeling that stretch of terrace is where Lloyds TSB now stands (i.e present day #43). But I'm hoping I'm mistaken amd that Lyn finds them when she goes to have a look. Viv.

I think that there were also Georgian houses along what according to my 1952 Bartholomews is called St Phillips Place running between Colmore Row and Temple Row W. Are they still there?
I have some happy memories of visiting buildings in Colmore Row, opposite the Council House. A school friend Olive Duddy, invited me to her home, her father was also a caretaker.
I missed this thread and I've enjoyed catching up with it today. We had a thread on here some time ago about alley ways in this part of the city and I think we found that there were extensive gardens in its early history. Again cementing the round building as perhaps a Dovecot or a place perhaps to sit and contemplate, hence Temple.

I think it was always the present size as it started off as a parish church.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Yes Viv, I thought so too.

Di - those houses are also not there. I worked at St Philip's Place, the building I worked in (right on the corner next to Rackhams) was No 3 St Phillips Place, No 1 being, I think, a Nat West bank building (Mother in law's bank offices named as 1 St Phillips Place) St Phillips Place originally comprised the Bluecoat School and some houses. If the idea of using buildings for something other than their original use, a heck of a lot of Birmingham's old buildings. would be still there. The building I worked in was built around 1973.

The churchyard was considerably larger at one time, some was taken up for widen Colmore Row. I have details somewhere, but it might take me a while to find them, as I don't know what book they are in.

Shortie

Now let's travel back almost 300 years .... this 1732 drawing shows St. Philip's church and churchyard, the rectory, the Bluecaot School and the terraces of georgian houses along Temple Row. Been trying to work out how to measure how the expansion of Colmore Row would have affected the churchyard. The Colmore Row side of the Bluecoat School seems to be in line with the churchyard wall. I wondered if the later building on the Bluecoat site was built closer to the rectory and therefore leaving a wider space for Colmore row? Or of course, the drawing could be just representative, not an accurate drawing! Whatever the answer, it gives a wonderful view of the terraces along Temple Row. Viv.

-North-Prospect-of-St-Philips-Church-in-Birmingham_1732.jpg

Back