• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temple Row

yes viv you are quite right..the flower shop building is still there on the corner...i will get a pic of it on friday...

Request to Mike. Could you please pinpoint the position of houses 29-31 Temple Row 1954 this would help to verify if they have been demolished or not. thank you.Dek

If I remember rightly, they were demolished for the building of the TSB and another building. They are definitely not there now, I worked opposite at St Phillips Place for several years from 1989, and they were not there when I commenced work there.

Viv - you are right, the shop was on the corner of Cherry Street, right where the TSB was. I also seem to remember a sweet shop - possibly Thorntons, just inside Cherry Street, can someone clarify that please?

I've had a look on Streetview and I have a feeling that stretch of terrace is where Lloyds TSB now stands (i.e present day #43). But I'm hoping I'm mistaken amd that Lyn finds them when she goes to have a look. Viv.

I think that there were also Georgian houses along what according to my 1952 Bartholomews is called St Phillips Place running between Colmore Row and Temple Row W. Are they still there?
I have some happy memories of visiting buildings in Colmore Row, opposite the Council House. A school friend Olive Duddy, invited me to her home, her father was also a caretaker.
I missed this thread and I've enjoyed catching up with it today. We had a thread on here some time ago about alley ways in this part of the city and I think we found that there were extensive gardens in its early history. Again cementing the round building as perhaps a Dovecot or a place perhaps to sit and contemplate, hence Temple.

I think it was always the present size as it started off as a parish church.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Yes Viv, I thought so too.

Di - those houses are also not there. I worked at St Philip's Place, the building I worked in (right on the corner next to Rackhams) was No 3 St Phillips Place, No 1 being, I think, a Nat West bank building (Mother in law's bank offices named as 1 St Phillips Place) St Phillips Place originally comprised the Bluecoat School and some houses. If the idea of using buildings for something other than their original use, a heck of a lot of Birmingham's old buildings. would be still there. The building I worked in was built around 1973.

The churchyard was considerably larger at one time, some was taken up for widen Colmore Row. I have details somewhere, but it might take me a while to find them, as I don't know what book they are in.

Shortie

Now let's travel back almost 300 years .... this 1732 drawing shows St. Philip's church and churchyard, the rectory, the Bluecaot School and the terraces of georgian houses along Temple Row. Been trying to work out how to measure how the expansion of Colmore Row would have affected the churchyard. The Colmore Row side of the Bluecoat School seems to be in line with the churchyard wall. I wondered if the later building on the Bluecoat site was built closer to the rectory and therefore leaving a wider space for Colmore row? Or of course, the drawing could be just representative, not an accurate drawing! Whatever the answer, it gives a wonderful view of the terraces along Temple Row. Viv.

-North-Prospect-of-St-Philips-Church-in-Birmingham_1732.jpg

I would imagine that perspectives were somewhat out, as they are with most paintings/drawings of Birmingham in the early years, but I could well be wrong. I have so far found one mention of St Philip's burial ground - it was bounded by Church Street, Livery Street and the chuch itself. This is not actually what I was looking for, but will continue to look. I suspect the book I want is on loan to my daughter - and she is shortly to move house, so it may well be packed up!

Viv - I have a version of this picture, and if you look carefully, the side of the churchyard nearest to Colmore Row is much larger than it is today. Space for burials then the trees. I remember reading somewhere the ground was given up for the expansion of Colmore Row.

Found some of what I was looking for - in 1900 portions of the grounds were taken to widen Colmore Row and Temple Row, and in 1910 the churchyard was laid out as a garden, having been closed for ordinary burial since 1859.

Last edited:
If I remember rightly, they were demolished for the building of the TSB and another building. They are definitely not there now, I worked opposite at St Phillips Place for several years from 1989, and they were not there when I commenced work there.

Viv - you are right, the shop was on the corner of Cherry Street, right where the TSB was. I also seem to remember a sweet shop - possibly Thorntons, just inside Cherry Street, can someone clarify that please?

I think this view down Temple Row towards Temple Row West and Needless Alley is possibly the corner we've been discussing (i.e corner Cherry Street and Temple Row) but from this angle it looks a bit different to how I remember it. The building to the left marked 'Bank' must be where the Bank of England was built. Not sure of a date for the photo, possibly about 1930s or 1940s (?). Viv.

Temple_Row.JPG

Viv - I have a version of this picture, and if you look carefully, the side of the churchyard nearest to Colmore Row is much larger than it is today. Space for burials then the trees. I remember reading somewhere the ground was given up for the expansion of Colmore Row.

Found some of what I was looking for - in 1900 portions of the grounds were taken to widen Colmore Row and Temple Row, and in 1910 the churchyard was laid out as a garden, having been closed for ordinary burial since 1859.

Hi Shortie. That makes sense. Yes that area does look much larger than I remember it. I also seem to recall reading somewhere that there were once walkways around the church which were lined with lime trees. They seem to be shown on the 1732 drawing. So maybe they were removed to create space. Viv.

That's a smashing picture Viv - I have to say I don't remember it quite like that, but some memories fade. The Bank of England (a bit of a faceless building now) was built on that corner - it stretched the whole of the way from Cherry Street to Needless Alley - I have a feeling it changed and is not a bank at all now, I seem to remember something being refurbed there about ten years ago. That tall white building used to be the Leeds Permanent Building Society - in part if not in full. I remember that very clearly.

From 1989 until 2000 I walked along Temple Row daily. I parked in Dale End and walked to St Philip's Place and then when I changed jobs, to Waterloo Street. I go into Birmingham fairly frequently now, but don't always get to this part.

Hi Lyn and Shortie. Be interesting to be able to compare the view. The tall, white building looks almost too modern compared with the rest of the photo. Looks like it was in the process of being built and nearing completion. Viv

Hi Lyn and Shortie. Be interesting to be able to compare the view. The tall, white building looks almost too modern compared with the rest of the photo. Looks like it was in the process of being built and nearing completion. Viv

you are right there viv..the white building does look out of keeping with the rest..i will try and get the shot as close as i can..

Oh I think the view will be very different. The white building is still there, and yes, it does look extraordinarily modern and out of place (nothing is new!), does not look old today.

Rupert, your post #97 I suspect the burial is representative rather than factual. Possibly just to show there is burial space. Very few headstones left in St Philips, and one would have to know what date exactly in order to find out whose burial it was, if it was for real. Where is the St Edward's plaque then? Peck Lane has not been there since the 1850's. There may be a plaque in New Street - I think there is one for Thomas Attwood. Perhaps we should make a definite note of all plaques found?

Last edited by a moderator:
Peck Lane is still there where it always was. About the same width between two buildings on New Street. It is an access alley now and not named...but still there. The plaque is on the eastern corner building...look up. That alley marks the western corner of the old school.

There's a little book called "In the Midst of Life" by Joseph McKenna which used to be available at the Birmingham Library. It says that portions of the grounds of St. Philips Cathedral were taken in 1900

to widen Temple Row and Colmore Row, and in 1910 the Churchyard was laid out as a garden. There is a picture on the "Grand Hotel" thread, showing the trees.

rosie.

Back