• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
I remember mum holding our donnies, black over Bill's mother's and lots of the saying on here, they bring back lots of good memories. Grandad used to come out with all sots of funnies like DOWN HE WENT STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR! and if any of our friends cried when we were small, we call them a TITTY BABY, there was FOUR EYES (I remember that well) and if asked where we'd been we'd say THERE AND BACK AGAIN and does anyone remember different coloured jellies being called TRAFFIC LIGHT JELLIES? We played DOWN THE ALLEY and on the BOMB PECK, and mum often used to come out with I'LL HAVE YOUR GUTS FOR GARTERS AND YOUR EYEBALLS FOR EARRINGS! Or if we wouldn't stop arguing, I'LL BANG YOUR HEADS TOGETHER IF YOU DON'T STOP IT! (not that she ever did, otherwise it would account for my being on another planet most of the time).
;D :2funny:

CHOW ROW - this is an old expression I found myself saying yesterday. Discordant noise. Relates to my post about the Gosta Green under pubs thread.

THERE IS A WORD THE BRUMMIE USES ALOT
AND IT,S THE SHORTEST WORD IN THE ENGLISH LANUAGE,
IS ;;; I AM =.

Yeh Sylvia, we have probably all been that from time to time. How about : "Too soft to tek dinner"

Maybe more black country though.

The conversation went like this:

Mom - What have you been doing

Me - Nothing

Mom - Well this is what you get for doing nothing, wait till you have done something.

???

i don,t know or i cannot recall ,if
this has been said before ,
but an old saying and i think people still used it ,
and if they are telling the truth , or telling a lie ,
you hear people saying ,
cross my heart , and hope to die ,

My dad used to call the dustbin the "Miskin" or at least it sounded like that,
does anyone know where that came from ?

Alf: I remember that saying,

Tell Tale Twit, your tongue will split
and all the little doggies will have a little bit :D

my dad used to have a bet every saturday ..3xdoubles,1treble his non de plume was ,old boots or spot cash.when he won he would say"better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick"

33bus
tom :)

How about:

You're not fit to black his boots

Let's have a perusal or shufty

My dad always held my donny when we went to the shop for some cuck cucks.

You're just like a fa*t in a cullinder

A glass of pawny (water)

Piece - bread and butter or dripping

Stop your blarting or stop grizzling

Shut your gob, trap or cakeole

Go right round the 'island' - Down south nobody has ever heard of a roundabout called and island - show's you what they know eh!;)

Same as 'outdoor' - off licence

:):)

Up the wooden Hill ; to see a black man.

Yes, I remember 'up the wooden hill' and 'where's our mom?' would elicit the response 'run of with a black man.'

Brought me back a few memories, there, Lynda.

How about 'I'll 'ave yer guts fer garters'? Or was that one of me moms Liverpool sayings?

Back