• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
i remember mom doing washing in the "brewhouse "at the top of our yard,in a "copper",then all us kids getting bathed in it after.Then there was the saying ,don`t come running to me if you break your leg,when you was playing on the "bombed peck"

My husband just came out with an old saying. He was sitting on his bum [as men do] and said "this won't buy the baby a new bonnet]. Only kidding fellas. He's paintin the landing bless him. Jean.

Sometimes when I asked Mom where she had been, she would say "There and back to see how far it was"

I was talking about someone who is a bit loud, and into my head I heard my mom saying 'She's got a mouth like a parish oven' Is it pure Brum do we think?

not heard hat one - i remember 'mouth like the mersey tunnel' - not even sure there is a mersey tunnel!

I remember a neigbour that used to watch us saying dont come running to me if you break both your legs.

my mom was always telling me to 'pull your socks up' - the first time I actually did (literally) i got such a clout, not realising she meant buck your ideas up.

When out with my sister I was scraping my shoe toes along the ground she told me to pick my feet up she couldn't stop laughing when with both hands under my feet I cried because I couldn't.

When I was little my Grandmother's reply to the cry "Where can I sit?" was "Sit on ya thumbs" and she would chuckle away as I tried to do just that!!

My friends mum used to say "I doubt it said the monkey as he ....ed on the fire" and I haven't seen mention of "round the wrekin"

This is a different type of saying. If any of us three lads hurt ouselves or did something silly, Dad would always say "where was your common sense". Mom and dad also used most of the other saying on this thread as well.

Patience is a virtue
Possess it if you can
Seldom found in women
but never in a man.

Mom was always saying this to me!

Also, little things please little minds - and little trousers fit little behinds.

My friends mother, from Shirley, used to say

"I doubt it" said the monkey, as he p****d on the fire!

Here,s and old saying in my erae and it was used quite often
and i don.t think its offensive in any way ,because these are old christian names used popular in the times gone bye if i was to asked award questions
and they had a complex in explaining this was there answer
BOBS,S YOUR UNCLE .AND FANNY.S YOUR AUNT ,
HAVE A NICE DAY EVERTBODY ASTONIAN ,;;;;

hi o c
dead mans pennies where pennies placed on the eyes of the dead as a payment for the ferry man so you wont get stuck between this world and the next
another bit of usless information lol
celia

Has anyone heard of Dead Mans Pennies? up our end no one whould touch them.
They was the pennies you put on someones eyes when they died to keep the eyes shut
Daft as a brush as I had anything you could spend

If my Grandmother was late in going to the shops she would say
" Better get a move on , otherwise we will be left with the Cagmag "

Cagmag - meaning rotten meat .

This term was used by her, and still is by my mother and myself for any food that is rotten or stale , or in todays terms past its sell by date.

my grandad had a couple of sayings i havn`t heard since his death, when it was time to go home he would say"pack up yer parrots an monket`s" and " get yer ganzi on " and this one i have heard befor "it`s gone black over the back of bill`s mothers

ccarwithen

If my socks were coming down my mom used to say "Pull your socks up your chins bleeding"

Back