• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
M

margaret sheridan

Hi there,
When I was a child if I asked my Dad a question he did'nt want to answer he used to say-
" If you'd a bin, where I'da bin - you might 'ave bin a Fairy Queen!"

Anyone any idea where it came from ?
Any help much appreciated
Best Wishes,
Margaret

Old saying's

G'day margaret. I have no idea where that saying came from..hopefully some one will know the answer.

My dad always puzzled me at dinner time.
As I finished my meal at the table each day and asked.
"Dad can I leave the table please"
he would always answer..
"Well ya can't tek it wiv ya" and I would get down...only took me 40 odd years to wonder why he always said it? :? ...I know should have asked!!
:p :p

:D My mother always made us kids also ask if we could "Please leave the table". When she was out of earshot, our Dad would reply" Y'd berra, can't afford another". :lol:

old sayings?

I was visiting an 80 year old lady recently, and she said..........'if my mom could see me now, she'd be on a line with me'
The young student who was with me smiled politely, but as we departed she asked me what 'being on a line' meant, she had never heard it used before.
I explained that it meant being angry/annoyed with someone, and explained that its a phrase commonly used by older folk, but, I was unable to explain its origin.......anyone got any ideas :?:

Old saying.

My Mother, whenever asked " Whats for dinner " would normally reply with " a walk round the table ", anyone heard that one before ?

LOL

My mum used to say that on occasion BazzM. I used to work with an old fella years ago, When asked what he had for dinner he'd usually reply "Two Fried Snowballs, And A Rasher Of Fresh Air" :lol:

My mother would, when asked, would be preparing wait-and-see-pie. :?

There were other things she'd be be cooking up when she wasn't in a very good mood, but I don't think they're suitable for publishing on this forum. :shock:

Now my wife does a nice "bit of this and that". :roll:

Old Sayings

Snap Bell, my dad would also say that and I would rush to see him expecting a puppy when he got back, buyt on one occasion he came home with a pretty little kitten tucked in his overcoat so all was forgiven.

:D My Dad's saying was "There and back to see how far it is and if it's not far enough I'm going again". Mum's saying was "air pie ", Or "Bread and look at it ". :lol:

Old Sayings

My parents would tell me to throw rubbish in the "miskin" (Dustbin)
Liquid waste went down the "suff" (Drain)
If you rubbed your eyes when tired, it was a sign of "the Sandman coming."
The reply to why, was always Z :p

8) Yep, couldn't think of 'em earlier but everything in the last three posts were also used in our house. :)

The ones that I remember are
"All around the Wrekin to get to six ways"
"You've got a face as long as Livery Streeet"

Old Sayings

A couple from my mom, if someone did any of us a bad turn turn she would say never mind God pays debts without money.

Another if things went wrong God's good and the devil ain't a bad un.

If we played up she would "brain us".

:D We were always sent 'Up the dancers ' to bed, told 'You'll cop-it' when mom finds out and told each other to 'Shut ya gob', or 'Shut ya cake-hole'. :)

My Dad used to say, "Go to the butchers and ask for a sheeps head and tell them to leave the eyes in as its got to see us through the week" :!:

That naughty word beginning with a 'B' was never allowed in our house. But anything other than........................................ "bladder" :shock: was okay. :wink:

Our Mom used to promise us a good hiding if we didn't behave ourselves a term of endearment was if my Dad addressed me as 'Cock' good night God Bless was another. Up the wooden Hill was another. a piece of dripping and a run round the table and if asked where he was going it was always to see a black man. The thing was we always believed them

Perhaps I should have said " little bleeder " instead of spaces which led people to think that I meant something much worse. soz :oops:

WOW! My last post was edited and made it look even worse than before. :(
I'll try again "little person who bleeds" :wink:

If we asked what there was to eat mom's answer was always, 'Bread and scrape'
My favourite was and is 'It's black over Bills mothers.' :D
When we went to bed it was 'Up the wooden hills to Bedfordshire.'

Just thought of another one - You could grow leaks and parsnips in that neck.

Is that one unique to my mother or did other moms say it?

Old Sayings

An expression my father used for a scrounger was a mumper - I have no idea where it came from and never heard anyone else use the term.

mumper

\Mump"er\, n. A beggar; a begging impostor.

Deceived by the tales of a Lincoln's Inn mumper (mumper being gypsy cant for a beggar or dishonest vagabond). --Macaulay.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

I found this info by typing it into Google then looking at its definition on the top right of the screen. It's part of a language called Shelta, Tinkers Cant. I found some Regency Cant and I posted some examples below.

'pon rep polite exclamation
a fudge false rumour
a trifle disguised slightly drunk
all the crack very fashionable
ape-drunk very drunk
bag of moonshine lot of nonsense
bamboozle trick
Banbury stories falsehoods
bandy words talk
bang up to the mark on time
barque of frailty woman of easy virtue
base<-born child illegitimate offspring
be with malt above water be drunk
become a tenant for life marry
befogged confused
being cupped have blood taken/let
bellows to mend with boxing term having the wind knocked out
beneath my touch not good enough
Bird of Paradise woman of easy virtue
bit of muslin woman of easy virtue
bleed very freely give lots of money
Blue Ruin gin
bluestocking academic female
blunt money

:D John we used to get 'Spuds' in our socks - the hole where the skin showed through.
Mom & Dad used lots of strange words (gypsy cant, or Tinker cant) . When she was a child Mom travelled around a lot as her stepfather worked on the fairgrounds and racecourses. Mom would never turn a Gypsy away from the door without giving her a coin - Mom was also brilliant at making those paper flowers 8) . Dad as a young man worked a lot with horses again at fairgrounds, racecourses and at a few stud farms. I think that is how they may have met, but am not 100% sure yet on that one as yet. :)

Back