• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pikelets Vs Crumpets

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...been having a bit of a debate for a couple of weeks with someone as to what we call these....so the question is simple.....WHAT IS THIS...

lyn

There was a debate on these before and I can't remember which one came out on top. When I was a child they were always called pikelets but of late I think they are called crumpets. Can think of another meaning for the latter too. Jean.

I call them pikelets.........I loved to cook them in front of an open fire on the long handle forks my brothers made in metal work.........lol

so can i jean....just wondered what folk in general called them now.....i must have missed the first debate on this...

wend..you have just taken me back a few years...

cheers

lyn

This confirms what I believed to be true when I looked it up two weeks ago in Wikipedia; the italics are mine :

Pikelet
A small, thick pancake, generally in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Britain. Also known in parts of the United Kingdom as a "drop-scone" or "Scotch pancake".
A British regional dialect word variously denoting a flatter variant on crumpet or muffin. In the West Midlands it is the usual term for crumpet. A crumpet in this area is similar in appearance (but not taste) to a North American pancake. db84124

Dib a scotch pancake or a north american pancake aint nothing like a pikelet lol

Last edited:
I can see wot ya mean if the mix is the same David... but they do look and taste different ..do prefer pikelets though

I'm sorry to disappoint Maggie ..... no joke there, just being very silly. I guess Dave M's post (#10) sums it all up really.

In our members' opinion, in Birmingham pikelet was in the past the chosen word, but some of them appear to use the more widespread and seemingly ever-more-popular crumpet. I personally see this as a great shame as the regional (dialectal) word pikelet could very well disappear within a generation or two, rendering the speech of Birmingham less picturesque and English a poorer language. Let’s please call them PIKELETS – at least in Brum. David

Last edited:
Always called them Pikelets and always will.
Keep asking for them by that name down here and they look at you like you've just come from outer space.
Fabulous with marmite.

hi guys
I Have to go with dibs and maggie
technicaly they are our crumpets but
has i seem to recall and they are the american muffins.

i also call them crumpets the brummie tradition they sell them by the name of piklets in our country
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;;;

Last edited by a moderator:
My trusty companion, the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, gives the origin of the word pikelet as having come from the Welsh word pyglyd during the late 18th century. Bara pyglyd means pitchy bread in English. I imagine "pitchy" refers to the consistency of the dough ??!? David

These were always Pikelets in our house and I still call them such. I guess it was the loss of local bakeries and the rise of the nationals that spelt the demise of local names. Problem is my Scottish OH looks at me as if I am Glaikit when i talk of Pikelets.

Back