• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pikelets Vs Crumpets

Some years ago Worcester Sauce Granules were available. Take a PIKELET, crumpets are no use whatsoever for this, cover with grated Cheddar Cheese and top with granulse then grill to your liking. Result ....Heaven on a plate. Please bring back the the Granules

There was a debate on these before and I can't remember which one came out on top. When I was a child they were always called pikelets but of late I think they are called crumpets. Can think of another meaning for the latter too. Jean.

Yes there was Jean and one of the posts said that the carried them around on a small metal Pike

Hi Colin, I think this might just be the answer. As a child I had never heard of crumpets they were always pikelets and it said pikelets on the packet, but go in any bakers and any supermarket today and all you can get is crumpets. Someone obviously thought it was a posher name. Blame the bakers.

Some years ago Worcester Sauce Granules were available. Take a PIKELET, crumpets are no use whatsoever for this, cover with grated Cheddar Cheese and top with granulse then grill to your liking. Result ....Heaven on a plate. Please bring back the the Granules
I still have some

Hi all .. I suppose its better to be a some ones bit of 'crumpet' than a bit of 'Pikelet' don't you think :p
heh Jean

Just eaten two pikelets [spread with Butter] for lunch - so morerish, but so delicious!!!! Miriam.

Me too Eric. I used to love them but my grandson has them toasted in front of the fire on a pronged fork then pastes them with butter and marmite. Jean.

I call them pikelets but the rest of the world outside Birmingham, including my wife mistakenly call the crumpets I am afraid

There was a debate on these before and I can't remember which one came out on top. When I was a child they were always called pikelets but of late I think they are called crumpets. Can think of another meaning for the latter too. Jean.
Thats MY name! Jean, But I DO remember Pikelets full of oles for the best Danish Butter to run through, John Crump(ets) OldBrit Parker,Co USA

They've always been pikelets to me. Someone locally imports them (frozen) into Crete, but we've ate them long before we've got around to seeing what it says on the packet!

Maurice

If they've got 'oles in em, them pikelets. (Pikes are used to make the holes) If they ain't got 'oles in 'em, them crumpets.

To tell you the truth, Beamish, I've always thought it was the other way round ......
If someone is taking statistics, please put my name down as 'with holes: crumpets'; 'without holes: pikelets. David

No it ain't logical.... If you poked a pike in a crumpet it would be called crumpike or a pikepet. The original pikelet was made full of holes with a pike. Then during Elizabeth's the Firsts reign, the Pikeman were replaced with dart throwers. The Pikelet was placed in the centre of a dartboard and of course originally they were square, but it was such thirsty work getting the holes evenly spaced that beer was brought to thrower and each had to pay. Hence the term its your turn to get the round in. Since then pikets have been round and full of holes.

Fior further details see Mrs Beatons Microwave Cookery of the Victorian era.

Actually I was joking because there should have been an apostrophe at the end of Mrs Beaton before the final S. Oh well supper time, a glass of fine french wine and a Crumplet

To tell you the truth, Beamish, I've always thought it was the other way round ......
If someone is taking statistics, please put my name down as 'with holes: crumpets'; 'without holes: pikelets. David

Oh David you,ve started something here I tend to agree with Beamish the pikelets that I sat and waited with lips a lickin to be toasted in front of the open fire back in the 40s had holes in. Have I lived my whole life on falsehood?Dek

Forgot to take our pikelets [crumpets] with us and they are all green in the bread bin. What a waste. Jean.

Although I personally find Wikipedia very useful, I know it isn't held in high esteem by many people on the BHF. Just the same, it does add some weigh to this discussion :

"In England, there is also something similar to a crumpet called a pikelet. It is usually made from the same batter as a crumpet, but the way in which it differs from a crumpet varies from place to place. In some parts of England (for example in the Midlands, around Wolverhampton) a pikelet is simply a crumpet without holes. In other parts (for example, Lancashire) it has holes, but is wider, thinner and more irregular than a crumpet because it is made without being restrained by a mould, and so spreads in the pan (or griddle) while cooking."

This is now becoming a serious matter with 3 threads dating back a number of years will we ever get to the bottom of this subject?? I like the idea of putting them on a pike and selling them in the market that would fit with brummie logic. Dek

... but, Dek, if your idea was put into practice, the pike would put a hole right through the pikelet ..... most of the butter would escape through the hole !!! Not good. David

This should settle it once and for all:

The Welsh are extremely fond of crempog (pancakes) stacked into layers and oozing with good salty Welsh butter. Bara pyglyd (pikelets) are another favourite, the spongy holes unequalled in their ability to absorb butter. Welsh butter is generally very highly salted, perhaps to some an acquired taste, though much missed by Welshmen when far from home.

Information from The Britsh Food Trust.

My wife comes from down south of the country where they all called them crumpets.
When we were married and I asked about pikelets she did not know what I was taking about.

Perhaps it is a regional hting

My wife comes from down south of the country where they all called them crumpets.
When we were married and I asked about pikelets she did not know what I was taking about.

Perhaps it is a regional hting

Definitely a regional thing. In Yorkshire when I lived there they were crumpets but I always knew them as pikelets as I was brought up in Birmingham.

Back