• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pikelets Vs Crumpets

Hi all in my house and Greggs they have and always will be crumpets

Hi Maggs
how are you and the other half keeping , fine i hope ?,
secondly i beleive you are correct when you stated north amecican pan cakes
i have seen these in asda at bromsgrove and i thought to myself
its a cop out of our version of our pikelets they are the same but more bulkie and fatter
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;
PS , Maggie is your family tree of cadmans come from aston , [ namely alf cadman ]
i can recall an alf cadman from the late forties and through the fifties whom i knew

Not to be confused with English muffins, Scotch pancakes, pikelets, teacakes or any other breadlike baked product. The true English crumpet is typically flat and round, covered in pore like holes, .

Pikelets are what you have toasted, with lots of Butter on. Crumpet is what you go on a date with.

Hi all
I still remember years ago mothers pride sold them as pikelets but then sunblest bought out the same product but called them crumpets.
I remember going to one shop amd they had both products on the same shelf.
Whatever there called they are still fantastic . and i have to take packs over to italy to my daughter every time i go over.
colin

OK i give up you can lead a horse to water blah blah

I have alway's called them Pikelet's. Surely Tea cakes are round currant filled bun which is toasted and buttered.

Its like calling a dog a cat it doesn't matter how often you say it its still a dog
some people say trousers some say slacks,
some people say jumpers, some jerseys,
some say frock, some say dress,but crumpets and pikelets are different things no matter where you come from

.........from the Oxford ENGLISH dictionary

pikelet

noun a thin kind of crumpet. [SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] from Welsh bara pyglyd ‘pitchy bread’

......................everybody's right!

..and STRUMPET is what you get when the date turns out to be a disappointment!

I'd have thought you might regard it as a success???
icon7.gif

Morning Miriam. Well we all know what we mean don't we? I used to like them, but not so keen now, I must have grown out of them, like a lot of other things!!!!!

Maggs,
Do you think Colin or myself,would care what we called them when we are slurping butter on them,nah,we wouldn't have time to give them a name...just eat and enjoy.

Ray, Colin is with you all the way. Grub is grub, a name is neither here nor there. You know what he is like..well just like you really.

Well i call em Pikelets , and when i was living abroad they were impossible to get ...... so i used to make them myself ....takes a lot of practice but well worth the time . YUM YUM
Max

I guessed what the picture would be before I opened it!!

They are definitely Pikelets but I know it's very much a Midland thing to call them that - here in London they are Crumpets

Back