• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

hello,astoness,great pic,s on page 3, where are those blocks, of flats, do you have any foto,s of the queen in 1940,opening st martins flats in highgate,..or do have a copy from last year, it was in the evening mail,..please...yhe kids playing in the cord yard do you have any info please ..where it is,..cheers,..christy.
Christy the pic with the yard is Ladywood, looks just like the yards by ours doesn't it,still haven't found any of William Edward ST

hi astoness my uncle have a shop in basall heath around emily street it was a fruit & veg shop his name was david hopkins he had a horse & cart in the back yard he did not read or write but he could tell the weight just by hand i know my aunty had her ale from the emily arms and put the poker in it then but it in the tea pot so david did not know happy days

Thank you astoness for posting all those old pictures I have really enjoyed looking at them. I must say my favorites were the old fashioned sweet shops nothing like that these day's Well not were I live anyway.

hi linda and dottieau..thank you for you kind comments it was a pleasure posting the pics...i do have more to scan and post but finding the time is proving difficult at the moment but i will evenually get round to it...

lyn

I loved looking at your pictures.My moms house was one of those that was bombed.I will show her these when i see her the weekend.

hi shortie...i know you are searching for pics of soho hill for someone and i thought there may be one or two on this thread but if you have looked at all the pics ive posted it seems not...will keep looking for you....

lyn

Hi Astoness, I have taken a long, hard look at all of these pictures, and sadly there is not one of Soho Hill. However, it has been an interesting journey through old Birmingham. I was particularly interested in the Coronation Party at Moorside Road, Yardley Wood. My mother moved to Moorside Road from Monument Road in 1928 when she was just five years old. Although I was born nearby, in Warstock, I don't ever remember seeing Moorside Road, so thanks for that! Shortie

hi shortie..tomorrow i am going to once again go through some old mags and papers so i will be posting more pics..will lookout for soho hill for you..

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I have a number of Evening Mail supplements with lots of pictures and articles I could post but I doubt I will have the time to spend doing it! Maybe some of yours are the same ones?

hi dave..hope you are well..mine are not supplements they are specials...the whole of the paper is packed with pics and articles. and you are right its very time consuming...always looking for bracebridge st dave...

lyn

Thanks Lyn, my friend would really appreciate that. I do find it odd that no-one though to take a photo, lots of photos of Hockley Broom were taken, also Hamstead Road and Soho Road - funny that the little bit we need, no-one seemed to notice!

Shortie

ok shortie..im off now to start my search....hopefully back later with some new pics...

lyn

hi all..here are a few to start us off again...please note that these pics are taken from old brum newpapers dating back from 1994...

pic 1..old central co-op
pic 2..artists impression and how it actually looked..

Attachments

• Co-op.jpg
    Co-op.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 23
  • Co-op drawing.jpg
    Co-op drawing.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
colmore row...dated 1930s

Attachments

• City Colmore Row 1930.jpg
    City Colmore Row 1930.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 20
the next 4 pics show just how hard times were with very poor conditions...

pic 1...blews st..aston..note the washing drying inside the house...
pic..2...back yard in unett st...

Attachments

• Aston - Blews street[1].jpg
    Aston - Blews street[1].jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Newtown Unett St Back Court .JPG
    Newtown Unett St Back Court .JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 18
pic 1..bagot st
pic 2..back yard in brum

Attachments

• Aston Bagot St.jpg
    Aston Bagot St.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 21
  • img038_renamed_12824~0[1].jpg
    img038_renamed_12824~0[1].jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 22
These are so lovely,i love the way the lady is dressed in Colmore Row,and the children playing its like a different world.

picking up fares in bloomsbury st nechells..date unknown...it says 1d fare to high st and nechells green

Attachments

• Nechells Bloomsbury St - Nechells Place BeeHive PH.jpg
    Nechells Bloomsbury St - Nechells Place BeeHive PH.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 15
the first manned steamer..aston brigade...

Attachments

• Aston Fire Brigade Horse Drawn Fire Engine.jpg
    Aston Fire Brigade Horse Drawn Fire Engine.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 11
pic 1..moseley road..
pic.2..the angel inn..stratford road...dated 1870
pic 3..road and bridge works at brighton road...afraid i dont know where this road was but the pic looked interesting...

Attachments

• WESLEYAN Chapel Moseley Rd 1885.jpg
    WESLEYAN Chapel Moseley Rd 1885.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 19
  • Sparkbrook Angel Inn 1870.jpg
    Sparkbrook Angel Inn 1870.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Balsall Heath Brighton Rd 2.jpg
    Balsall Heath Brighton Rd 2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 20
i wonder if any rellies of our nechellite members are on this pic...

lester tavern..nechells...1936

Attachments

• Nechells Lester Tavern.JPG
    Nechells Lester Tavern.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 18
pic 1..moseley road..
pic.2..the angel inn..stratford road...dated 1870
pic 3..road and bridge works at brighton road...afraid i dont know where this road was but the pic looked interesting...
Brighton Road off Ladypool Road Balsall Heath

this pic taken in 1958 shows the old bull ring shops which were opposite st martins church...park st is to the right..

thanks liz...

Attachments

• City Bull Ring 1950's.JPG
    City Bull Ring 1950's.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 24
Lynn,
No wonder my Granddad joined the Army, if the Picture of Unett St were like that, thats where he was born.

Back