• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

Hi Lloyd,
Thank you for that. I was very young then to be going on my own. Mind you it was different times then.
I have wanted to know the answer to that for ages so thanks again.
Wendy

The caption reads. 'High Street, Erdington, first electric tram, March 1907. Erdington was still outside the city, but an agreement had been reached to run Birmingham Corporation trams to Chester Road. The regular service began on 22nd. April 1907.'

Ann

WendyP The Alum Rock (Route 8) trams finished on September 30th 1950 along with those to Washwood Heath (Route 10).
Mike

Hi Mike

Why hold yr head in shame the picture of 582 is the No 2 Terminus Hancox & Dodge are on the corner of Harman Rd on the other corner to=day is the Co-op.

In your picture it has proof of it being the terminus there is the Bundy Clock to right of the tram.

Tram interested Ray

Hi

Copy of the old tram tickets, sadly i don't have any orginals.

Wouldn't be nice see the women conductors running round with overhead pole in Steelhouse lane ready to return to North side of City

Does anyone remember the cheap workers return, Think you had to catch the tram before a certain time,was it before 6.30am?

Peter I remember it on the Buses when I started work 1951 no Trams in our area :)

Alf, it was about 1950/1 I Had to catch the tram (no79) into town,from Pype Hayes,I had be in work before 6.03am, I seem to remember that it was a 4p Workman's return I purchased. Peter.

Wendy go back to post #133 to see the terminus with the Pelham pub in the background. To the right of the trams was the Co-op.
Mike

If only Lloyd.....
This view of 532 brings back my childhood memory of Birmingham trams as being tall and narrow.

They were narrow - only six feet across (outside!) so seats were doubles one side and singles the other. Today buses are eight and a half feet (or the euro equivalent) wide.

None of that euro equivalent here thank you very much Lloyd! or our trams might have ended up like this = 3ft (metre) gauge!

Not all foreign trams look unfamiliar. Still running every day in Hong Kong are these traditional style 4 wheelers. Such a pity they are so far away.

Thanks for that link Otherhalf. What a treat it would be to see these running round Birmingham (in a modern BCT livery of course).

Nice shot, Mike. Car 342 was first to have an enclosed balcony, far more 'enclosed' than was later standardised on. The enclosing of 2 axle double deck trams on narrow (3' 6") gauge lines was frowned upon by the 'powers that be' in Westminster, but 342 remained enclosed for the rest of its days.
Here it is at Bearwood Road terminus of route 29, probably at the last day or two of operation of the Dudley Road routes in September 1939. Photo by the late Ray Coxon - that's his Centric bike propped against the kerb in the foreground. He was still riding that bike in the 60s and 70s when I knew him - including to and from Weston super Mare to visit relatives down there! A piece of Birmingham transport history in itself!

blimey he must have been keen and fit Lloyd:) interesting photo ..outside Wrensons which I had occasion to go in a few times.. and just a little bit further down the road was the shop (modernised )where I worked in later years :)Ta

Wrensons, Typhoo and another Great Tram photo what more could you want to start another day, nice one Mike:)

And now for something completely different!
City of Birmingham Tramways Company Steam Tram Locomotive No.10 is seen here after electrification of steam routes still earning a living as a tug for a rail grinding truck. Wonder if people in their beds along the old steam routes thought it was a ghost tram puffing down the street in the dead of night when the rail grinder was under way.

You can still ride on a tram every day at Seaton in East Devon, over about a 3 mile route which is very scenic.

Back